Author Topic: My Ford Ranger Pick-up and Love for Automobiles  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
My Ford Ranger Pick-up and Love for Automobiles
« Reply #-1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
As many cars and trucks I have owned I would say that was one of my hobbies over the years.

I don’t know how old I was when I wanted a car; probably 12 or 13. Besides the pool hall there were two gas stations that were popular hang outs in the little town I was raised in. I watched them work on cars and by the time I got my first car I could do a lot of the maintenance myself.

When I turned 16 in 1958 I saw a car advertised in the paper; a 1947 Ford Coupe for $150. I had $75 and ask Mom if she thought Dad would give me the other $75. She ask him and he said hell no! The next Saturday he said come go with me and look at that car. It was at a farm and the guy said it was his Dads car. He drove it out of the barn and Dad and I went for a ride. He didn’t let me drive it but told the guy we would take it. I was grinning ear to ear!

It looked a mess and I thought it was a dark blue; the back seat had straw all over, it had 47,000 miles on it. I bought a can of Simonize cleaner and a can of wax and went to work on it. I cleaned out the inside and went to work on the body. It turned out looking almost new; a dark green I think they called Jade Green. Over the next two years I had shaved the hood and trunk and got those repainted; installed lowering shackles, add on white sidewalls, added fender skirts, full wheel covers and fake side chrome exhaust pipes.

I got married in a fever right out of high school and joined the USAF. My first base was in Homestead Florida and the car made it down there. I drove it there until 1962 sometime and sold it for $150. That was the only car I bought and sold for the exact same money!  The car I bought in place of it was one I wish I had now; a white 1954 Mercury convertible with a white top. The interior was black with red trim rolled leather that was stock. 

I suppose it was only fitting with my love of cars that I would end up working at the Ford Lima Engine Plant for 30 years. I counted up and listed all the cars I had owned before I retired in 2003. It was over 20 I think, I have the list somewhere but can’t find it right now. This included 4 I had bought both kids in high school and college. The last 10 years I worked I leased every two years so drove recent new cars. We always had two vehicles and later the second one was a pick-up truck.

Memorable cars were a red 1964 Corvair Monza, a fun car to drive. I had a Ford Granada, 4 door; Dove Grey with a vinyl roof and a 350 V8, a pretty hot sedan! Mine and my wife’s favorite was a 1985 Mustang GT convertible; silver and black. My wife is a pretty safe driver and drives the speed limit. With the Mustang she had a two mile stretch of back road going to my Mothers were she would put it to the floor. She turned into a little old lady race driver for a moment!

In 1998 I bought a Ford Ranger pick-up truck to drive to work. It had a 2.5 OHV 4 cylinder engine Ford started building in 1973 when I first started with them. It had a 4 speed floor shift with over-drive. It had air but just crank up windows. I drove it to work until I retired in 2003; a 40 mile round trip daily. Since I retired it is used mostly when I need to haul something. It has about 97,000 miles on it. It has never been garaged; always sat out. It has no rust that I can see and very few scratches. Pictured here was after I just ran it through a car wash that does the tires and gives a Simonize hot wax. I would say it is in great shape for being 17 years old.

Our current car is a 2005 Ford Freestyle; we bought it just after the 2006’s came out. I am getting the urge now to get a new one and would get the same model but they don’t make them now. It was a great driving car and a perfect height for the wife and I to get in and out of. As soon as the 2016’s come out we are thinking of a 2015 Ford Edge.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: My Ford Ranger Pick-up and Love for Automobiles
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »
Great looking Pickup Don!  We have a 2010 Ford Edge that we bought new in 2011 when the closeouts were going.  It already has 110,000 miles on it (my Wife has a huge commute every day so she is racking up miles like mad).  We have not had a single issue with it.  We love the Edge and she is already talking about getting a new one - although we are hoping to get close to 200,000 miles out of the current.  We have looked at the new Edge's and the are amazing.  I just bought a new 2014 F-150 Lariat and other than my first car (1976 Firebird - something about your first car that is hard to top) it is my favorite vehicle thus far.

Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Pappymn

My Ford Ranger Pick-up and Love for Automobiles
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »
They used to build the Ford Ranger in Minnesota up until a few years ago
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »
Great story... I learned to drive with a Corvair Monza. I am famous for buying later to be collector cars and selling them for peanuts... ' 65 Corvair, '65 Mustang, '65 Jag XKE (hmmm, something about the 65's...), '77 Datsun 208z (actually that one was wrecked by a friend...)

Excellent pictures!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:21:53 AM »
Beautiful truck, and looks in great shape.  I miss my '98 Wrangler, but I wouldn't trade anything for my Subaru Outback.  I love my Outback.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:38 AM »
Thanks for the memories!

Like you, I've had quite a bunch of cars over the years and only one or two that I didn't really like.  I'll bet just about everyone here has a car in their past that they wish they still owned.  Mine would be my 1965 Corvette Stingray.  Dark metallic green with a white leather interior.  365 hp 327 with solid lifters and a huge 4 barrel carb.  4 speed close ratio and posi-traction.  I never got a traffic ticket in it but it wasn't for lack of trying  ::)

My current "senior" ride is my eight year old Nissan Titan truck.  Bought it at night not realizing it didn't have power windows and door locks -- still wish it did.  I've never kept a car as long as this one and have no plans to trade it -- I'll just keep cussing those crank windows  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:24:52 AM »
I have owned quite a few cars in my 40 years on this ball.

My first car was a 1985 Nissan Sentra. I ended up flipping that car... Literally. Lucky I didn't kill anyone.

Then I had a 1991 Nissan Pickup. That was a great little truck.

Also had a 1999 Honda Civic

My first new car I bought was 1995 Toyota Tacoma

Also had a Toyota Echo. And a Dodge Avenger. Then a Chevrolet Trailblazer.

And then I had a Nissan Frontier. I loved that truck.

My favorite was my 2004 dodge SRT-4 that I bought brand new. I just sold that a few months ago. The thing only had 23,000 miles on it and was wicked fast!

And I currently own a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab with a short bed. A great truck!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:51:33 AM »
First car was a 65 impala...sold it for a 67 Camaro RS. Currently drive a V8-Chevy Colorado..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 01:25:36 PM »
Nice truck Don
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"