Author Topic: Broil King Smoke Offset Smoker  (Read 48010 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Broil King Smoke Offset Smoker
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2016, 03:46:31 PM »

Well, lets just say it doesn't seem like 11 gauge to me.......I think the Gen 1 and Gen 2 might have been thicker.

No worries, this pit is made for the long haul and with the new ash pan/charcoal grate your fire-box will last longer than us  8)

Yeah, I super stoked.  I haven't put down over $1000 for anything in a long time and I feel good about this investment....

~Gunsmokers~

$$$$$ well spent cowboy  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2016, 05:41:24 AM »
Well, I have cooked on this Broil King Offset enough to close the door on this review.

Is this offset the missing link? Is it the 'bridge' from cheap home improvement offerings to hand made welded 600 lb monsters?

Hmmm......yes and no I say.

If this pit was a true "stick burner" yes would be the answer. Of course you can burn sticks in this and it works very well. However have your high heat paint handy to re-paint the firebox after every cook.

Will the fire-box hold up to the higher temps of wood splits. I think so. The charcoal grate is really thick and the stainless ash tray helps with keeping the bottom clean. If you have a Char-Griller you can easily order a new fire box for under 60 bucks and you are back to smoking. I do not know what the charge of a BK fire box would be but I betcha it would be quite more.

Hardwood lump burns real nice in this pit and when it warms up it becomes a very easy to manage cooker. When I see it dip 5 degrees, I add more lump and wood chunks and crack the side door for about 5 minutes and I got another hour of beer drinking without having to do much.

The well thought out smoking chamber is also a very large top notch grill. Full length stainless ash pan and two stainless charcoal grates (that act as heat deflectors when smoking) make grilling and clean up a snap.

Access doors on the smoking chamber and fire-box have solid aluminum Roto=draft dampers. The smoke-stack has one as well. Not too many adjustments need to be made to this pit. Obviously much cooking was done in R & D.

This is a very solid pit. It sits a bit higher than other offsets and that is nice on my back when cooking on it.

So I guess it all comes down to fuel choice. If you are looking for a true stick burner.........this can burn sticks. I think hardwood lump and chunks work best. I have laid some small oak rounds on the charcoal grate and topped off with lump with great results.

This very well could be the missing link that bridges the massive gap that only appears in the off set smoker realm. I think the 899.99 retail price is a tad bit high. You do get alot with this grill. Stainless in the right places. Very well thought out with excellent fit and finish. It just looks good on my back deck. 599.99 price tag would make this pit a awesome buy...however I am not one of the 'suits" over at Broil King.

I tell you one thing.......this pit is going to be a solid performer for a long time so crying once shouldn't be too bad.

I would like to thank all of you for putting up with yet another product review from The Smoke.......I like to call things like I see them and do not want to steer anybody wrong  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »
Thanks for the review. As one that is straddling the fence on getting a stick burner it was very helpful.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline RAD

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »
great review Smoke, thanks for posting. If I run across one under 600 I think I might grab it.
Love to cook and eat

Offline hikerman

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2016, 03:44:42 PM »
Very nice review Smoke! And thanks for callin' it as you see it! 8)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »
I had wanted one of these after reading about it after you first got it. I even checked in with connections I have at Broil King and I couldn't get it as cheap as what The Smoke paid for it  >:(

I held out and recently ordered a KBQ. As my luck would have it, I found a BRAND NEW UNOPENED BK Smoke offset less than 30 minutes from me for sale for $400.00! The story of my life, lol.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline RAD

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2016, 07:04:53 PM »
I had wanted one of these after reading about it after you first got it. I even checked in with connections I have at Broil King and I couldn't get it as cheap as what The Smoke paid for it  >:(

I held out and recently ordered a KBQ. As my luck would have it, I found a BRAND NEW UNOPENED BK Smoke offset less than 30 minutes from me for sale for $400.00! The story of my life, lol.
Lucky Dog. I'm still holding out
Love to cook and eat

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2016, 08:25:28 PM »
It will be my choice when the time comes, Thanks for the awesome review!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL