Author Topic: Ecoque Wood Fired Oven and Smoker  (Read 36095 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Ecoque Wood Fired Oven and Smoker
« Reply #-1 on: April 28, 2016, 11:51:38 AM »
This review is literally 3-4 years in the making. I have been giving this unique outdoor cooking device the hairy eyeball that long. About a month ago Wendy happened to walk by when I was checking this unit (for the millionth time) on the computer. She rolled her eyes and said "Oh no, not another BBQ". So I sat her down and showed her the introduction video......She was sold  :)

What sold her was that when we entertain, I am out at the pit drinking brewskies, while she is stuck in the kitchen (we have a small cabin kitchen) making the sides and deserts. We also have an electric oven which she tolerates to say the least. This outdoor oven offers two separate cooking chambers. One is a dry sealed stone lined pizza oven. The other chamber is a smoker. They are both stainless steel lined and are heated up off of the same heat source. So we have two distinct cooking environments. The fire-box as well as the two top cooking chambers are also fully insulated. This beast is a Prius when it comes to fuel consumption. Speaking of fuel, the fuel of choice is wood chunks.  8)

When the bottom pizza oven is at 375, the smoker is at 250. The possibilities are endless:

While meat is in the smoker, you can bake a side dish, dessert and a loaf of bread all at the same time.

If you would like a kiss of smoke to your baked goods, simply put them into the smoker for a while.

Another great feature is when you are smoking your meat and it is time to wrap. Don't add more wood to the fire...simply set it in the pizza oven where the stone will stay hot for hours (free heat) and finish off your smoked offering in there........brilliant  8)

Our unit is in transit. The owner of the company Tim, has been so helpful with my countless questions. Tim is also a KCBS judge so he knows good Q!! Over 2000 units have been sold and there are only 38 left at this time. They average 5 sold a week so this model will be gone soon. A re-design is in the works. I told Wendy, if we don't jump on this we might be disappointed in getting one of the most unique and versatile outdoor cooking appliances I have ever seen......we jumped. We really had to thin the herd, but Wendy and I feel that this unit is so versatile and can cook an entire meal plus dessert and bread at the same time out on our wood deck that this was a no brainer.

Speaking of a wood fired unit on a wood deck, the fire box on this unit is the star of the show. It is completely contained and is designed to be pulled out to add fuel. Another similar looking unit on the market does not offer this and it lets hot embers go all over the place when refueling......that is a major no no in my book. Cleaning appears to be simple. A full length zippered cover is now included with the oven as well as two nice baking pans and a sweet aluminum prep tray...Wendy and I are already "discussing" who gets to use this  ;)

So until I get the unit delivered, here is the excellent introduction video to wet your appetites:

Here is a older video from 2011, that shows fire starting and clean-up

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:17:21 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Ecoque Wood Fired Oven and Smoker
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »
Sounds really cool, but what's the $$$$$ tag?
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
I like it!
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »

I just searched, looks about 1500
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 01:49:51 PM »

I just searched, looks about 1500

go here for 1399 plus free freight and a free cover..this is the ecoque store
http://www.outdoorchefstore.com/collections/grills-ovens-smokers/products/wood-fired-pizza-oven-smoker

not cheap but it weighs in at 375 lbs and with stainless in the right places.......we cleared our deck to make room for this bad boy.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

Ecoque Wood Fired Oven and Smoker
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:58:44 PM »
Looks very cool.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »
I have seen it before. It looks like a great unit.

It would be nice however if the pizza oven had the ability to pull heat from the sides to get hot air above the pizza like a true pizza oven.

Maybe a couple dampers the could open in the pizza oven compartment to allow that.

Otherwise a really great looking unit to me.

Look forward to your review Scott
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
I have read somewhere that if you put a pizza stone on the top rack above the pizza that you can toast up the toppings and cheese.

I have to find the diagram that shows that the heat does go up the sides. It has to travel that way to get the heat and smoke into the smoker oven.

I think this fire management video explains how the heat travels through the oven

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 02:48:21 PM »
I have seen it before. It looks like a great unit.

It would be nice however if the pizza oven had the ability to pull heat from the sides to get hot air above the pizza like a true pizza oven.

Maybe a couple dampers the could open in the pizza oven compartment to allow that.

Otherwise a really great looking unit to me.

Look forward to your review Scott

Thanks Mike. This might be one of the last reviews I do in a while. This should probably be my most extensive review due to the versatility of the two cooking environments and how they can be used separately or at the same time.....or one oven for part of the cook and the smoker chamber for the remainder. One thing is for sure, I will call straight down the middle  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 05:30:21 PM »
Got the first package today. I ordered an extra cover for down the road. That came with some Lightning nugget firestarters. I just lit my wood stove with these and they burned for 15 minutes. I had some red eucalyptus and oak (these two woods are hard to light without a established fire base and these nuggets got em blazing.

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »
Thanks for the review!  The capacity is relatively small but the design is obviously well thought out and I can see where one would be just the ticket for a camp or cabin or home with a small kitchen.  I like the insulation and versatility.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 08:33:21 PM »
Video looked good!
Forget the water in pan , not needed.
Thinking the drippings won't burn so should give a "clean smoke taste" like an offset.
WHAT HAPPENED TO BROIL KING OFFSET ???
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 11:54:10 AM »
Video looked good!
Forget the water in pan , not needed.
Thinking the drippings won't burn so should give a "clean smoke taste" like an offset.
WHAT HAPPENED TO BROIL KING OFFSET ???

Still got it along with the PK.....that is it on the deck these days. Wendy is such a good cook and baker she is really going to use this oven a bunch for side dishes, breads and desserts..while I fill the smoker up  8) Another plus is when the power is out for a spell...which happens more often than not up here...we wont miss a beat for supper............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 12:02:42 PM »
Thanks for another great review / introduction! Looks really cool!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 10:24:55 PM »
It has arrived. It is a beast. The unit is 380 lbs. The fit and finish are as good as I have ever seen. Stainless steel lined ovens and the fire-box. Just well made and thought out.

The fire-box is the star of the show so far. It clips with a rod to a stainless pull out shelve. You simply slide it in and out to stoke your fire or to add wood/lump.
Extremely heavy duty, it is designed for smaller fires (when you want to slo-smoke in the smoker oven) or larger fires (when you want that crispy pizza crust.)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven