Author Topic: Jeep "Mini-Restoration" - A Gagillion Pictures (you've been warned!)  (Read 5864 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Jeep "Mini-Restoration" - A Gagillion Pictures (you've been warned!)
« Reply #-1 on: May 04, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
I made this post on another forum back in December of last year but thought I'd share it with y'all after reading Smokin Don's post about his Ford Ranger. I too am a Ford man but the better half has always wanted a Jeep, so as you men and ladies know, it's only a matter of time before women get what they want :) It only took her a quarter century to get one out of me!

original post
As a somewhat early Christmas gift, I bought my Wife a Jeep, she's an old girl (the Jeep, not my Wife, lol), a '94 YJ (square headlights I know are not looked upon kindly in Jeep circles but I don't care, lol), with 133,000 miles on it. She has low miles for her age and doesn't leak a drop of anything. The undercarriage is spotless and the only rust spot I found on her was on the windshield but I think it may be a stain from the old wiper arm, it's on the "to do" list.

Now, she was a little rough around the edges mind you but I saw potential. She's got new tires and wheels courtesy of a 2006 Jeep and a new Bestop Supertop soft top. There's some paint issues and some dings and dents here and there but she's an old girl and a Jeep at that so it's expected. I, in time, may get to the outside but first on the list was the interior. It needed some TLC, so I gave it some ;)

I bought this a couple of weeks ago and have been ordering goodies for it here and there and working on it a little each day when time allowed. In these pictures you'll see it from the day my Wife pulled up in the driveway in it, then its first wash and then the deconstruction and the make over.

Here's what was bought to either add or replace :

1) New Wiper Arms & Blades
2) New Door Panels
3) New Door Handles
4) New Door Pulls
5) New Door Soft Top inserts
6) New Kenwood Stereo w/ Bluetooth, iHeart Radio, XM, Pandora, etc...
7) New Kicker Dash Speakers
8 ) New Console
9) Neoprene Seat Covers
10) New Carpet
11) Kenwood Amplifier (Pulled out of my Son's last Mustang)
12) Kenwood Sub Woofer (Pulled out of my Son's last Mustang)
13) New Shift Knob
14) New 4x4 Shift Knob
15) New Bestop Sport Bar Covers
16) New Grab Bars for entering Jeep
17) New Drink Holders
18) Running Boards (Nerf Bars)
19) Steering Wheel Cover
20) Glove Box Door
21) Rubber Floor Mats
22) New Hood Latches
23) New tailgate bar (it was missing)
24) New 6 Speaker Soundbar w/ Dome Lights
25) Door Sill Entry Guards
26) Lighted Amplifier Turn Off/On Button in Dash (For when she's not "All About That Bass")
27) New Visors
I think that's about it, lol. There may be somethings I forgot about.

So, for the adventurous, here's a buttload of pics :P  Some are not so great but you get the idea

Current Pics as of today 5/4/16

She hardly ever gets driven yet somehow still has dirty floor mats, lol.

And her newest accessory - a kayak

Now that it's warm weather she wanted to go Kayaking with a a friend of ours who goes with a group of other ladies. I told her that she can go and then bring the girls home and I'll cook for them, let them have a "Girl's Weekend" or whatever. Ah....the things we do for love :P
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Yer sir I'd say that puppy needed a little TLC ;)     

Nice job on the fixer-up..  Now go get it dirty  :D :D :D :D :D ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Nice!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RG

The exterior is not too bad, that interior was TOAST! It runs like a top, super clean engine and undercarriage. It's a mall hopper. It's not going "Jeeping" with her driving it. It gets terrible gas mileage to boot but it's fun to drive with the top down. I've been trying to get her to agree to me taking the doors off for the summer but she's not having it.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
We got a Wrangler for up here in the mountains and we have never regretted it. I think I have carpo tunnel from doing the Wrangler Wave up here......they are all over the place.

Love the way your Wrangler turned out...looks like a blast to drive  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »
Cool post
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tailgating is my game

It runs like a top

You need to put new tires on it......then she will not spin out of control ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

It runs like a top

You need to put new tires on it......then she will not spin out of control ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D ;)

LOL! That reminds me of something not even close to being "on topic". I was playing Team Trivia at a dive where I go almost every Monday to meet up with some buddies, eat some bad food and drink overpriced beer. One of the questions recently was in the category "TV". The question was something like "Name the body parts replaced on the Six Million Dollar Man". Well we all sat and conversed and came up with our list and on that list was "legs" and my buddy's girlfriend said were we sure it was both legs to which he replied "Yes it was both, otherwise he'd be running in circles". I was cracking up as the more I thought about it the more it made sense :)

Offline Tailgating is my game

It runs like a top

LOL! That reminds me of something not even close to being "on topic". I was playing Team Trivia at a dive where I go almost every Monday to meet up with some buddies, eat some bad food and drink overpriced beer. One of the questions recently was in the category "TV". The question was something like "Name the body parts replaced on the Six Million Dollar Man". Well we all sat and conversed and came up with our list and on that list was "legs" and my buddy's girlfriend said were we sure it was both legs to which he replied "Yes it was both, otherwise he'd be running in circles". I was cracking up as the more I thought about it the more it made sense :)

LOL RG ;)      "some buddies, eat some bad food and drink overpriced beer"  I see you go to NFL games also ;)

Love the car!
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

It runs like a top

LOL RG ;)      "some buddies, eat some bad food and drink overpriced beer"  I see you go to NFL games also ;)

Love the car!

The Car? or the Jeep :) There is a Mustang beside it that looks pretty snazzy but it's my boy's pride and joy, not mine. My Mustang was sold many moons ago. I do have to say that my Son is about to sell the one he's got which is a 2013 that's PAID for so he can buy a 2016 California Special GT. I guess it must be nice being young with no wife or kids, lol.

Offline TwoPockets

Nice, that was a heck of a restoration job you did.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline RG

Re: Jeep "Mini-Restoration" - A Gagillion Pictures (you've been warned!)
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 07:09:22 PM »
Nice, that was a heck of a restoration job you did.

Thanks! It was fairly easy thank goodness. I worked on it here and there after work or on days I didn't have much going on (self employed) so it wasn't bad at all. Each day I had stuff coming in and would try to install it as I got it. Took about a week. I spent about $1600.00 making it look decent. What astounds me is the price these things still fetch! It's crazy!

Offline RG

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 07:16:39 PM »
We got a Wrangler for up here in the mountains and we have never regretted it. I think I have carpo tunnel from doing the Wrangler Wave up here......they are all over the place.

Love the way your Wrangler turned out...looks like a blast to drive  :)

Yep, the Jeep Wave :) I've messed up a few times and not noticed it until it was too late, made me feel bad, lol.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 08:53:01 PM »
Nice work on the Jeep.....I think they are the original fun-mobile. Of course there was that station wagon I had in high school..... 8) ??? :o ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »
Nice work on the Jeep.....I think they are the original fun-mobile. Of course there was that station wagon I had in high school..... 8) ??? :o ;D
Figured you to be an El Camino type of guy
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109