Author Topic: Red Copper Cooking Pan  (Read 24508 times)

Offline DWard51

Re: Red Copper Cooking Pan
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 02:06:29 PM »
They have those copper pans at the local Bed, Bath & Beyond.  I thought about buying one but the metal seems sort of thin and I was concerned it would warp easily.  I hate pan that will not sit flat on the ceramic element (yes we have ceramic & electric).   

I've got a set of Lustercraft that we bought back in the 70's but their laminated bottom is at least 3/8" thick.  I thought we paid too much for them, but after all these years, they still are my go to pans.  The outer layer is stainless but it has a copper slug and aluminum heat spreader in the base (encapsulated in stainless).  Straight stainless and no non-stick, but they are built like tanks.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 02:16:01 PM »
I did finally use the pan this morning for some Chorizo and scrambled eggs. I had no issues with the chorizo or scrambled eggs sticking. The heat seemed even and the pan worked as advertised. Nothing stuck to it and everything wiped right out. I used a metal spatula and it did not appear to scratch the surface.

I guess as I use it more I will find out how well it holds up.

My initial thoughts are that the pan is worth the $20 I paid for it.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 02:36:26 PM »
I did finally use the pan this morning for some Chorizo and scrambled eggs. I had no issues with the chorizo or scrambled eggs sticking. The heat seemed even and the pan worked as advertised. Nothing stuck to it and everything wiped right out. I used a metal spatula and it did not appear to scratch the surface.

I guess as I use it more I will find out how well it holds up.

My initial thoughts are that the pan is worth the $20 I paid for it.
Thanks Mike for your input! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 01:07:10 PM »
Many, many years ago I bought a small (9") green eco-brand (?) pan just so that I could fry eggs when I was visiting my daughter in St. Augustine.   When I cook over easy eggs, I prefer a small pan and flip the eggs over rather than use a spatula.  Needless to say, you need a good non-stick pan.

I know that my daughter does use it herself, when I'm not visiting, and that pan is still a clean and non-stick as the day I bought it.

Personally, I've got a set of Emiril anodized aluminum pans.  They're pretty good and have a lifetime warranty. I just swap 'em out for a new set every 7-8 years at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline FrugalQ

• B-TOWN INDIANA
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
I know we are just talking about $20 pans but as a former high end kitchen equipment sales manager I can say that you will buy ten $20 pans in 20 years (most of the time) or you can buy one $80-$100 that you should never have to replace.  To each their own but I despise plannned obsolescence.    I have all-clad stainless that I WAITED and WAITED to get at a good deal.  I see all these pics of fanatastic quality outdoor cooking equipment.  Then see bargain bin stuff in some kitchens.  In other words if you buy good quality once you spend less money long haul and can buy more GRILLS!!  Winner Winner BBQ Dinner.  Thats my rant for the day!! And Get Off My Lawn!!
IF IT BLEEDS.. WE CAN GRILL IT!
Throw some on for me!

Weber Performer Deluxe Crimson (Hoo-Hoo--Hoosiers!!)
PBC
Pit Boss PB700FB
SNS+ w/DNG
GrillGrates
Vortex
Shun & Miyabi Cutlery
Inkbird
Broil King Regal 490 Pro (R.I.P.)
Red KitchenAid Pro (its the fastest)
InstantPot
Anova
Red Thermapen MK4

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 02:28:23 PM »
I like planned obsolescence in somethings. If technology changes you might want to change. I had a fiesta Grill I really liked for $99.00 new on year end sale. I then bought a Sears grill with pull out table that I really like for $200.00 at year end. If I had bought a Weber Gasser 12 years ago I would be stuck with the same grill & it would have cost me over $550.00.

So if the equipment cooks well & you paid a fair price for the years you will have it. You are doing well in my book.

Now I have an 18 inch Weber charcoal that is 15 years old but almost new. I bought that for $59.00 year end. I am glad I still have it because I don't want a new one.

With pans what may be good for your health today might be bad tomorrow so I don't see anything wrong with these Copper pans but again I spent around $8.00 for my pan.

Our sauce pans were bought 22 years ago & are still good. They were from Macy's nothing fancy.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline FrugalQ

• B-TOWN INDIANA
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 04:59:42 PM »
I definitely see both sides to the argument but I don't really consider a Weber kettle planned obsolescence either considering a $60 grill with care can last decades. When we start talking about outdoor cooking the lifespan is definitely related to the environment it's used and stored in. My comment was more focused on the stuff in our (indoor) kitchens.  I too may be biased on non-stick cookware in general because I've seen the coating come off like dandruff on everything from $8 pans to $280 pans.  I hope I didn't come off as a price snob. I have way more expensive stuff than I can afford but I'm very patient and will wait and wait and wait to get what I want at a price I can afford. The discounts when I was in the business obviously helped me get a few of the BIG $$ pieces (vitamix, shun, for example).  You can buy really expensive JUNK just as you can buy reasonably priced high quality. At the end of the day it's about what works for you, at a price you can stomach and feel good about.  Not what some guy on an Internet forum who's name translates into "I don't wanna spend a lot on BBQ" says about cheap cookware. Love this site!! But seriously, Stay Off My Lawn! Unless you smell BBQ then bring a few beers and let's eat!
IF IT BLEEDS.. WE CAN GRILL IT!
Throw some on for me!

Weber Performer Deluxe Crimson (Hoo-Hoo--Hoosiers!!)
PBC
Pit Boss PB700FB
SNS+ w/DNG
GrillGrates
Vortex
Shun & Miyabi Cutlery
Inkbird
Broil King Regal 490 Pro (R.I.P.)
Red KitchenAid Pro (its the fastest)
InstantPot
Anova
Red Thermapen MK4

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »
I definitely see both sides to the argument but I don't really consider a Weber kettle planned obsolescence either considering a $60 grill with care can last decades. When we start talking about outdoor cooking the lifespan is definitely related to the environment it's used and stored in. My comment was more focused on the stuff in our (indoor) kitchens.  I too may be biased on non-stick cookware in general because I've seen the coating come off like dandruff on everything from $8 pans to $280 pans.  I hope I didn't come off as a price snob. I have way more expensive stuff than I can afford but I'm very patient and will wait and wait and wait to get what I want at a price I can afford. The discounts when I was in the business obviously helped me get a few of the BIG $$ pieces (vitamix, shun, for example).  You can buy really expensive JUNK just as you can buy reasonably priced high quality. At the end of the day it's about what works for you, at a price you can stomach and feel good about.  Not what some guy on an Internet forum who's name translates into "I don't wanna spend a lot on BBQ" says about cheap cookware. Love this site!! But seriously, Stay Off My Lawn! Unless you smell BBQ then bring a few beers and let's eat!

LOL I agree!  Like in tailgating I use cheap forks, & utensils  along with some semi good ones.  For a few reasons. They tend to walk at tailgates & we need many of them for a tailgate & aftergate. As far as the Weber that is not a planned obsolescence product I agree. I love it & I got it at a good price.

But like the big green egg I would never buy one even if it was the greatest cooker. It is more then I want to spend on cooking. In fact all my cookers added together are less LOL.

But I think it is great & love the stories on here when people buy large ticket items.

I squeeze lemons once a year tailgating so I go to dollar tree for my tailgating products like that. They hold up well enough. & I usually buy two one in Cardinal Red & one in jet Green. So for two dollars I have two (a backup) instead of buying one good one for $10.00 plus.

It works for me as what you do works for you & that is what is so great. I have fun buying the non-stick cooking pans every few years. I like you have had bad luck until this last one. Bingo. But the eight dollars was a gamble when I bought it.

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline DWard51

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
FYI,

Woot.com has the 10 piece set of Gotham Steel cookware (they all appear to be more or less the same) for $84.99

http://home.woot.com/offers/gotham-steel-10pc-non-stick-cookware-set-6?ref=hm_cnt_wp_5_1

10-Piece Set Includes:

(1) 1.5 Quart Saucepan with Lid
    (1) 2.5 Quart Saucepan with Lid
    (1) 5 Quart Dutch Oven with Lid
    (1) 8.5" Frying Pan
    (1) 10.25 Frying Pan with Lid
    (1) Steamer Insert (fits 5 Quart Dutch Oven)