Author Topic: Pit Boss 700 FB Pellet Grill and the return of the Green One!  (Read 54218 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Pit Boss 700 FB Pellet Grill and the return of the Green One!
« Reply #-1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:54:55 PM »
So at 5:30 this morning it is off to the 24 hour Walmart to grab the Pit Boss and guess who was in the Jeep waiting to roll?

Smoochy won't move until that bad boy is out of the Wrangler

Got er back on the patio (very heavy box), Smoochy helped the best he could

Cut the ties and opened that carton. Weber quality packaging. It is like a box pallet. The box slips right off after the ties are cut and the bottom is like a cardboard pallet. Everything is wrapped nicely and there was no damage to the contents.

Assembly is simple. While the well detailed instructions called for more steps, most work was done for me. Just the 4 legs, bottom rack, 2 wheels and the handle needed to be installed. Everything is pre-threaded and all holes were exact.

No surprises with this set-up

Haven't seen this before. The sensor is protected.

Far side of the barrel has the smoke-stack hold template and hardware installed for a side shelve. I think these two items come with their "Deluxe" models so they use this set-up for other models.

So no smoke stack huh?  Nope, holes in the back that run along the door

Speaking of the door. Very thick and fits super snug. Real snug. Gives you an idea of the quality of this pit

Nice grates. This unit could hold six racks of ribs laying flat.

Moving over to the hopper. Here is the dummie grate installed in the hopper. It is mounted much higher than Camp Chef. Will take it out after the review.

Couple items of interest on the back side. Nice set up to roll up the power cord. See the little rubber square on the lower left corner?

That is the pellet clean-out. Nothing fancy but it will work.

Here is the star of the show in my opinion. The grease deflector. It is curved. Pit Boss claims that the grease will roll over to the channels and sizzle and add a different flavor profile. The Flame Broil insert is standard on all Pit boss units. Just slide the top pc over to the right and get your sear on.

Our Wal-Mart carries the Pit Boss Cometition Blend pellets. 19.76 for 40 lbs. That will work. 50% Maple, 25% Hickory and 25% Cherry.

I burned it in on high for 30 minutes per Mfg instructions. The door must be open when starting and shutting down. When starting you set it to smoke (175-225), when three dots stop blinking you close the door and set the pit to high. They recommend this for a better heat up and pre heat. When your pit gets to your desired temp, set your dial to that on the controller. Let it stabilize and you are off to the races. There is no shut off increment on the dial. You just set it to off and fan continues for a while. They recommend raising the lid for this feature.

The controller dial probably will seem primitive even to Camp Chef and Traeger offerings(obvious competitors in this price range). Off-smoke (175-225 no added smoke at this setting per Mfg...so why have it), 200-225 (the so-called smoking sweet spot), 250-300-350-400-450-High (500). That is it. I am looking at this review like a backyard Jack or Joe or Jill  ;D, just setting it to my desired temp and letting it rip. There is a P-setting adjustment button and a full explanation in the manual. I am leaving it on factory settings for this review.

Start up for the first time. The pit took 15 minutes to get to 500. This is where the mounted thermometer fooled me. I figured it would be nothing more than a hood ornament. That darn thermo was 10-15 degrees higher than the read-out on the controller. Makes sense to me. It is mounted in the center of the door directly over where the fire-pot is placed. Seems to be a pretty accurate set-up.

Fit and finish is excellent. This is a really heavy sturdy pit. Thick 14 gauge all throughout and the door sits snug and perfect. While not a deal breaker if it doesn't sit flush but it speaks volumes to the quality of this unit.

I will leave my final impressions at the end of the review but for where I am at right now, this is tons of quality for a little money. Yeah the controller is simple and probably outdated compared to the big boys out there but the MSRP for this model is 499 bucks and I got it way cheaper and there are good prices to be had on-line. In fact, the sales lady at Dansons told me that they set up the MSRP but their dealers all sell for way under that. Best initial quality I have seen so far. Easily as solid as Rec Tec and blows away the offerings in between.

However the proof is in the cooking, so a bunch of cooks are coming up.........and The Smooch is on board for the entire review  :)

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

Re: Pit Boss 700 FB Pellet Grill and the return of the Green One!
« on: September 20, 2016, 06:05:11 PM »
I'll be watching you and Smoochie closely on this one.
Maybe one of the Walmart in middle Georgia will have it and at this price.
I may set up a GoFundMe page to help with medical bills when Deb finds out.

Just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 06:07:48 PM »
I'll be watching you and Smoochie closely on this one.
Maybe one of the Walmart in middle Georgia will have it and at this price.
I may set up a GoFundMe page to help with medical bills when Deb finds out.

Just sayin'...

This pit might be worth the pain Jack  ;D ;D   I will do a bunch of different cooks on it so I won't steer you wrong  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:43:11 PM »
Looks like a great pit. Congrats
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
Very interesting I like the probe protecter could use that on my Rec Tec
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:20:57 PM »
Pitt boss is the lower line of cookers from Louisiana Grills .
Looking forward to seeing how the searing function works.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:16:57 PM »
Grabbed some Rib-Eyes and Wendy made some stuffed mushrooms.
I checked with the Pit Boss crowd on Facebook and they said to leave the Flame Broiler closed during the heat up process and then open it when the pit reaches 500.

Here is the smoke during the heat up.

I put the mushrooms on the top rack and tossed the steaks onto the fire

All done. Did not take long.

These reviews make a fella hungry

OK, the flame broil is awesome. Due to the size of the fire pot you can do two good sized steaks at a time. I did put a little foil on each side of the deflector and the grease puddled a bit and flamed. Not bad but I think the foil let it puddle. Pit Boss does not recommend foil on the deflector. I will call them tomorrow and find out their reasoning for that.

The pit controller reached 520 and searing this way was not a problem. Had to flip fast. Those flames were hot.

The PB took only 12 minutes to get to 500. Pretty quick in my book.

Do I like the Flame Broil deflector? Yup. It is nice. You can sear and then set them off to a "safe" spot. Kind of like a 2 zone charcoal fire.

To add to the versatility of the Flame Broil is that you can easily raise up one rack and then use tongs to slide the insert over to grill something up after smoking it.

Based on today's cook, it is safe to call this a grill as well as a smoker.

Spare ribs tomorrow. Time to see how she smokes and how these pellets are at smoking temperatures...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 09:21:30 PM »
Looks like a great pit for the price!

I like the flame zone feature and how you can just slide the insert over while cooking.

Steaks look real good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 09:43:41 PM »
Lookin good Smoke!!! Will be lookin for some more cooks on it!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 09:48:07 PM »
Agree, looks like you got a good bang for your bucks!
Congrats on your new cooker Smoke, for the 312th time! :D ;) ;D

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 10:09:42 PM »
Killer looking steaks
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 02:53:08 AM »
Looking awesome so far!  I enjoy you calling like it is as your work through things, and you aren't afraid to take back earlier statements.

I am also jealous of the Jeep.  There are times where I miss my Wrangler, nothing like cruising with the doors off at the shore (aka beach)
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »
Looking forward to the ribs...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »
Looking awesome so far!  I enjoy you calling like it is as your work through things, and you aren't afraid to take back earlier statements.

I am also jealous of the Jeep.  There are times where I miss my Wrangler, nothing like cruising with the doors off at the shore (aka beach)

Thanks for the kind words. I have found that my reviews have swayed people into purchases and I really want to say things like they are.

We got the Wrangler last year before winter. With snow tires on and 4H, I never chained up once. Now we are in the Inland Empire and don't really "need' the Jeep, but she aint going anywhere  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »
The Pit Boss Facebook group is pretty adamant about lining the grease deflector in foil. The old "foil or not to foil" debate has reared its ugly head  ;D

I read somewhere on-line that Pit Boss does not suggest this. So I piped a call into tech support. While helping with clean-up, the downward curved design of the deflector along with the slide tab of the Flame Broiler pc does not let the foil set flat. This can cause little pockets where grease can catch and little fires can start.

I did have this little problem last night when I grilled the steaks.

Pit Boss recommends when you are finished cooking to set the pit on high for about 10 minutes to help burn stuff off the deflector then turn the unit off to shut-down mode and raise the lid. A wire brush the next day will catch the rest.

So from here on out I will cook without any foil.

I also asked about the "dummie" grate in the hopper. I was told I could take it out but it is not advised. I figure if I am dumb enough to get my finger in the hopper I should keep it there, but the last time I checked I was not that dumb. I will keep it in during the review.

Last but no least we talked about the "P" settings. Factory default is P4. You can choose from P0-P7 changes will change the time the auger stays idle. So you can go longer to increase smoke and keep lower temps or you can shorten the time so you get a hotter "cleaner" burn. I will stay at P4 factory setting for the review.

Pit Boss (Dansons) will be checking in to watch the review and see everyones reactions and questions.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven