Author Topic: Karubecue KBQ C-60/SS Review  (Read 27079 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Karubecue KBQ C-60/SS Review
« Reply #-1 on: October 22, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
Now that I've had the KBQ for a while and have been able to put it through some cooks I figured it would be a good time to review it.

I will list the pros and cons that I've found with the machine and then discuss afterwards the relevant points.

PROS

Well made
Lots of cooking space in a small footprint (1000 sq/in)
Unique smoke flavor unlike anything I've ever cooked on, adjustable smoke levels
Thermostat Temp Controlled (rheostat)
Fun to use (your definition of fun may be different than mine, lol)

CONS

A Little "Pricey"
You have to tend the fire every 40 minutes on average
Some may not like the cabinet design, you have to kneel down to add/remove food
Exposed Flame from firebox could pose a hazard
Cooking Chamber & Firebox (especially the firebox) get HOT!
Sourcing wood may be a challenge for some

Now we get to what I think of this oddball looking cooker. Overall I love it! There are things I am not a fan of but the food that comes off this pit is nothing short of excellent. I've smoked chicken, brisket, ribs, butts, chuck shorties, beans on it and everything has come out better than any of the food I have cooked on other pits. Other Pits you ask? Yes, I have cooked on just about every type and style of cooker on the market. I have either owned or still do own a variety of cookers such as : Kamados, offset smoker, kettle style grill, Hibachi, Pellet Grill, Electric Smoker, Gas Grills, Pit Barrel Cooker, so forth and so on. The KBQ has trumped them all and that's saying something!

The color it gives is impressive, the food just looks good coming right off the pit! Since we eat with our eyes first, this is a good thing. The meats come out super moist, I've NOT made a dry piece of meat yet on this thing!

Competition All Natural Angus Brisket

Creekstone Farms Beef Short Ribs

Keep in mind that it IS a one trick pony. It will not replace your kettle, it will not replace your pellet grill, it will not replace your kamado. What it will do is be your "go to" smoker when you want to make the very best you can and impress your guests. It is a dedicated smoker and it will make the best smoked foods you've ever eaten. In conclusion - Would I recommend it? Uhh......YEAH! Duh! Go getcha one now ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:27:13 AM by RG »
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Sandman

Re: Karubecue KBQ C-60/SS Review
« on: October 22, 2016, 04:27:38 PM »
Good review.  :thumbup: Really the only thing I really don't like about the KBC is the door config. I think I would like it better if it swung to the side.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
Outstanding Review RG, someday I'll have one :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline RG

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 08:45:48 PM »
Good review.  :thumbup: Really the only thing I really don't like about the KBC is the door config. I think I would like it better if it swung to the side.

Yeah, I could chalk that up as a "con" too but I can live with it. I guess he had a reason behind it. I do know that if the door were thicker, like on my Smokin-It #3 that he could've used the compression style latches but since it's a single wall cook box that would be out of the question. I am excited to see the commercial version that he has in the works. I at one point saw video of a rotisserie KBQ, maybe that is indeed the commercial cooker he's working on?
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »
Great review, RG. Thanks for posting.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline rwalters

Karubecue KBQ C-60/SS Review
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 11:11:54 PM »
Excellent review! Very intriguing cooker :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 08:17:13 AM »
Excellent review!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 11:36:19 AM »
If the "open" firebox didn't concern me, I would have one on the patio. Great review on an outstanding cooker  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 12:14:12 PM »
If the "open" firebox didn't concern me, I would have one on the patio. Great review on an outstanding cooker  :thumbup:

I am thinking about taking it to a competition and just as a safeguard I think I'll fabricate a spark arrester to place over it. It would be easy to make out of some wire mesh I would think. As for the flame, it only gets about as high as the box itself and comes out of the sides after the thermostat has drawn air to heat the box. When it's up to temp and the fan shuts off, the wood erupts into flames for a few seconds. I always cook with the cover on top of the firebox so that keeps the flames at least located in the firebox, they just come out of the sides briefly like I described. It's not as big of an issue as you may think. I was a little worried as well but now after having it, it's not that big of a deal to be honest. All of the coals stay put, they don't fall out at all.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »
I really enjoyed your review of this outstanding cooker.  The food looks spectacular. :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 04:40:25 PM »
I'm glad you love it!!!!
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 05:56:34 PM »
I'm glad you love it!!!!

Bill owes you a commission dude! You're the reason I bought it, lol :P

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 10:00:01 PM »
I want one someday...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »
I'm glad you love it!!!!

HAHAHA! I just want everyone to own the great things in life. But I'm really glad you are happy with the KBQ
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 03:52:39 AM »
I'm glad you love it!!!!

HAHAHA! I just want everyone to own the great things in life. But I'm really glad you are happy with the KBQ

Ya know how we all want to justify the money we spend so naturally we'll say good things about what we bought? I find this sometimes leads to a very biased view of things and I also know that we all have different tastes in everything from movies, music, clothes and food. Grills & smokers are no different. For example, I see that you have a PBC. While some love it and sing its praises, I didn't care for it much. I love the story behind it and support Noah fully and am rooting for them in their pending court case(s). I just didn't care for the flavor profile I got from it. So......I took a gamble on the KBQ (an expensive one at that!) and couldn't be happier with the food it makes. I still think that in reality, food aside, that Bill has become a little too proud of the cooker and think he's selling it at a super high premium for what it is. I think he could take $300-$400 off of it and it'd be a solid cooker at that price. It is what it is and I hope it last me a lifetime. If it does, then it's money well spent!

I'd like to see improvements made like a much larger firebox. I think making it wider, maybe close to the width of the cabinet, would help a lot. That would let you put a large amount of wood in there to maybe go 2 hours between adding more wood. That would be a HUGE improvement. I imagine to do that though, he'd have to really beef up the overall strength of the unit so it would wouldn't buckle with that heavy load on top. So welded cross members on top and the sides (interior and out of sight) would probably do the trick. If it would hold 2 hours+ full of wood and had a side opening door then I think I'd be happier with it but as it stands, I'm still loving it!