Author Topic: My thoughts on the new PK360  (Read 25333 times)

Offline 70monte

My thoughts on the new PK360
« Reply #-1 on: January 08, 2017, 07:53:23 PM »
I ordered the new PK360 and have had it a couple of weeks now.  I've done three cooks on it so far but I'm still learning to use it to some degree.  It does have some features and aspects that I like over the original PK.

The first thing that I like is that it is quite a bit taller than the original grill.  While i"m not a tall guy(5'4") I still felt like I am bending down quite a bit with the original grill.  The pedestal stand is actually pretty nice and once you get the base tightened to the round post, it is very sturdy.  I know that this was a concern with some of the people on the PK FB page but this thing doesn't feel like it's going to tip over at all.  The wheels are small so this grill doesn't roll as well as the wheels on the original PK cart so that could be considered a small negative.  Though I haven't done it, I don't see someone rolling it through the grass or rougher terrain.  If you need to move it to somewhere other than on a fairly smooth surface, I would just lift the grill off of the stand and move these two pieces separately.

The cylindrical lower air tubes are unique and make it fairly easy to dial in your temps, especially with the included thermometer.  They only have a 90 degree range of motion and the plastic piece on the end of the tube has a marking on it so you know where the opening is.  When the mark is straight up, the vents are fully open.  90 degrees to the right and the vents are fully closed.  If you use this grill without the stand, the vent tubes are still fully functional so that the grill doesn't have to be elevated on anything to get good airflow.

The fact that the ash and embers stays inside the grill bottom is a huge plus, especially if you are grilling anywhere where you are not over concrete or other non flammable surfaces.  That is my one concern when using my original PK on anything other than the concrete carport surface on which it mostly sits.  Plus you don't have ash falling out everywhere making a mess.  The grill has a big plug in the bottom that you take out to sweep ash into a bucket that you can hang off of the hooks that are on the back of the grill.  All of the lower hooks and lower vent tubes are removable for replacement in case one gets broken somehow.

I really like the two large removable tables.  That is one thing that is lacking on the original grill.  It's table area is very small.  My grill has the limited edition Ironwood shelves but the regular production 360's are coming with a black plastic composite type shelf.  Long term I don't know which will hold up better but I think mine looks better than the black ones but that's just my personal opinion.

I personally like that the lid opens front to back vs from the side on the original grill.  I guess it's probably because I'm more used to that way.

While this grill is larger than the original, it is still manageable to carry though I would take the lid off first because it is heavier than the original grill.  The two side handles do make it easy for two people to carry it if you prefer that way.

As far as grilling surface size, it is not much bigger than the original.  Less than two inches wider and longer.  Here are my approximate measurements of the grilling grates for both grills.  The original: 21 7/16" L X 14 1/8" W.  360: 23 1/8" L X 15 5/16" W.  For those that want something much bigger than the original, this is not it.  The lid and bottom of the 360 is each about 1 1/2" deeper than the original grill.  The distance between the charcoal grate and the cooking grate is the same on both grills at about 4 3/8".

The cooking grate on the 360 sits slightly below the upper edge of the bottom casting so that food falling off when trying to remove it is not as much as a concern as it is on the original.  The cooking and charcoal grates are more heavy duty than the original grates though the new SS grate for the original grill is more heavy duty than the original PK grate.

Overall it's a very nice grill.  Whether or not it's worth the asking price is up for debate.  Most people may say no if you are just looking at the grilling room between the two.  I personally think a better price point would be about $600-650 but I'm sure the new castings plus the quality of the materials used is what may have helped bring the price up to where it is at.  Plus they are comparing this grill to the BGE and other Kamado's so that may have something to do with it also.

I don't have many photo's but here are a few.  AlanZ posted quite a few and his are very good.  If you have any questions, just ask.

Here are both next to each other so you can see the height difference.

Here are both with the lids up so you can see the approximate difference in grilling surface size.

A picture with my PK charcoal baskets inside.

My ironwood shelves.  Mine are slightly different colors but it makes it unique.

My first cook on the new grill.

finished product.  Grilled indirect to 135 degrees and then grilled direct for 2 minutes per side.  Very tender and flavorful.
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline tomcrete1

Re: My thoughts on the new PK360
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
Excellent review! I am soooo Jealous! :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline 70monte

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:38:38 PM »
Thank you.  I did forget to mention that looking at PK's website, they are no longer offering the limited edition version of this grill.  The pre-order section for the next two introduction phases is no longer there.  It also says that the ironwood shelves are no longer available. I'm not sure if they are going to stop numbering and dating them as well.  Maybe the high price of this grill scared people off.  The price is now $869 instead of $899.
Maybe this is going to make my grill worth more. LOL
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:53:53 PM »
Excellent review and thanks for confirming the price at being a little high.
I like this grill and the more reviews I see the more i like it. :)

Thanks for posting it and I hope to see many more cooks.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:19:48 PM »
The price might be a little high but for something that will never rust or burn out I think that in the long run it is worth it :thumbup:
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline rwalters

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:34:56 AM »
What he said ^^^^^
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:35:36 AM »
Great review...I've seriously considered the new PK on more then 1 occasion. Hmmmm...
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »
Great review...I've seriously considered the new PK on more then 1 occasion. Hmmmm...

Same here. Hmmmmm........ :D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:53:46 AM »
Great review!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline rexster314

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 01:03:22 PM »
I'm another guy that has grills out the wazoo. Weber Performer, Jenn Air gas grill, PK grill. I'm running out of room on my deck. I lust after the new PK but the 800+ asking price is putting me off. Course, the Jenn Air was over a thousand when bought new.
I'm tilting towards the new PK. Maybe before summer.
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
My grill has the limited edition Ironwood shelves but the regular production 360's are coming with a black plastic composite type shelf.
 Mine are slightly different colors but it makes it unique.

To bad PK did not keep the Ironwood Shelves because yours really stand out
I guess it is true "the early bird get the worm".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:28:39 PM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

The Big Easy

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 07:08:31 PM »
Great review. 

I agree that nine bills is a little steep.  'Course not as bad as Weber Summit ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »
Great review. 

I agree that nine bills is a little steep.  'Course not as bad as Weber Summit ! ! !

BD
X2
Art

The Big Easy

Offline 70monte

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:36 PM »
Thanks guys.  PK is promoting this grill as an heirloom grill to last forever and pass on down to the kids or grandkids as well as being the last grill you ever have to buy. 

I do hope that people will continue to buy this grill because you can tell a lot of work was put into the design and features of it.  I think that people have just gotten sticker shock when they compare it to the price of the original style grill.   I myself was hesitant to spend that much on it but decided that because I like their other grill so much and that they addressed a lot of the things on this one that I felt were shortcomings on the original, I would try it out.  I can say that I don't regret buying it and look forward to cooking and smoking a lot more things as time goes on.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline 70monte

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »
I just found a video of a guy un-boxing his new PK360.  I thought you might like seeing it.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZlndEFd8xXk

2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range