Author Topic: MAK new style flame zone for 2017  (Read 5729 times)

Offline jimsbarbecue

MAK new style flame zone for 2017
« Reply #-1 on: February 13, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »

New Style Flame zone is best change to date for MAK Grills!

In the past weeks we have cook just about everything with the new style flame zone from slow smoking at 225 to high heat grilling at 500º. It shows they did their homework at MAK as this is right on right out of the box. Temp is well balanced over the grill surfaces. The grill zone is left to right rather then front to rear, which we have grown to like. if you have ever considered a MAK grill, the time is now to order the 2017 MAK 2 Star. We tried to find something not to like about this and cannot. It uses less fuel,Not sure how, but a great added bonus!

All this Chicken cook at the same speed. No biscuit test here I care about meat.

Smithfield Pork meat loaf. the old flame zone was a little hotter in the right rear. Not the case with the new one

This steak is with the MAK set at 425º if set to high our MAK shows 500º

Offline rwalters

MAK new style flame zone for 2017
« on: February 13, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
Man, I've been seriously toying with the idea of buying a 2017 2-Star. Now you've got me SERIOUSLY thinking. My biggest concern has been how it does as a grill. Looks promising!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:05:35 PM by rwalters »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: MAK new style flame zone for 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »
How is it different Jim?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Chasinsparks

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
How different is it from 2016 Model?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:50:00 PM by Chasinsparks »
"I Served 1995-2015"

MAK 2 Star 3182

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:23:30 PM »
Here is a screen shot of some photos Dave Hunsberger had on Facebook. As you can see it is way different that anything MAK has used before. the first photo is one complete assembly. the second picture shows the flame diverter.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing your pics, Jim!!   Glad you're enjoying it!

Bob's been working on this design for ages trying to get it dialed in just right.  Previous designs just weren't holding the temperature consistency edge to edge to MAK Standards, so Bob has been tweaking the design for a number of years to get this dialed in perfectly. 

The biggest change (as you can see from Dave's pics that Jim shared) is the funnel design under the pans, which directs the heat up towards the cooking surface, so the heat gets where you want it (instead of heating the entire belly of the grill).  We still govern the grills out at 500° to minimize grease flare ups, but with the heat directed right to the grates, the grate surface is much hotter than the overall grill temp when the FZ covers are removed.   

The temperature also recovers more quickly when you open the lid.

We also increased the pitch of the grease tray to help with grease runoff.  And instead of having the covers be left and right, the new system is split front to back instead (and the cooking grates split that way as well).

The firepot is still removable too, and you only have to take out the FZ pan to remove it, not the whole funnel system.  Which is good, because all in all, it's about 35 lbs of stainless steel!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 06:30:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing your pics, Jim!!   Glad you're enjoying it!

Bob's been working on this design for ages trying to get it dialed in just right.  Previous designs just weren't holding the temperature consistency edge to edge to MAK Standards, so Bob has been tweaking the design for a number of years to get this dialed in perfectly. 

The biggest change (as you can see from Dave's pics that Jim shared) is the funnel design under the pans, which directs the heat up towards the cooking surface, so the heat gets where you want it (instead of heating the entire belly of the grill).  We still govern the grills out at 500° to minimize grease flare ups, but with the heat directed right to the grates, the grate surface is much hotter than the overall grill temp when the FZ covers are removed.   

The temperature also recovers more quickly when you open the lid.

We also increased the pitch of the grease tray to help with grease runoff.  And instead of having the covers be left and right, the new system is split front to back instead (and the cooking grates split that way as well).

The firepot is still removable too, and you only have to take out the FZ pan to remove it, not the whole funnel system.  Which is good, because all in all, it's about 35 lbs of stainless steel!

Will there be a kit to retro fit older 2 Stars?
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:50:13 PM »

Hey KJR-- yes absolutely, they're available on our website now.  They will fit in any 2 Star, and any 1 Star models 2016+  (Any serial number above 1092, when they increased the size of the 1 Stars). 

You can find it under 2 Star Accessories, in the Other Accessories section.  Or the home page banner will eventually scroll to a link as well.
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 07:54:31 PM »

Hey KJR-- yes absolutely, they're available on our website now.  They will fit in any 2 Star, and any 1 Star models 2016+  (Any serial number above 1092, when they increased the size of the 1 Stars). 

You can find it under 2 Star Accessories, in the Other Accessories section.  Or the home page banner will eventually scroll to a link as well.

Please help me understand what is included in the kit Kat. From what I see on the website I would use my existing FlameZone tray and existing stainless steel covers. But instead of placing the covers vertically I would place them horizontally?

So does the kit consists of what's pictured below? Thanks Kat  8)

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 12:14:52 AM »
Everything is different. Also we have old 2 stars #68 and #186. Fit great .

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 01:29:56 PM »

Please help me understand what is included in the kit Kat. From what I see on the website I would use my existing FlameZone tray and existing stainless steel covers. But instead of placing the covers vertically I would place them horizontally?

So does the kit consists of what's pictured below? Thanks Kat  8)

Hey Pete-- the kit actually comes with all new stuff.  The picture you showed is just the funnel base and the diffuser.   There is also a new FlameZone pan, new FZ covers, and new grates that split in half the other way.  You won't need any of the old parts of your older FlameZone.

So that first photo you had showed the bottom half, and here is a picture of the top half of the goodies that sit on top of the part you pictured.   (One FZ pan cover is removed in this pic to show the dimpled pan underneath).  Plus it comes with 2 new cooking grates that go the same direction as the new FZ covers, so you can still just take off one grate to remove one of the pans. 

The older griddles, searing grates, etc. will still work, you would just need to remove both FZ covers to have the heat reach the whole searing grate.   They will have new ones that are oriented the same way as the new FZ covers, but the old ones will work just fine if you remove both FZ covers. 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »
Thanks Kat ... Now all I have to do is sweet talk SWMBO (the Banker!!)  :D  :D
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 08:21:13 PM »
Will MAK take the loonie at par ::)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 12:34:24 AM »
So the new system is good for what?. Smoking or grilling?.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
So the new system is good for what?. Smoking or grilling?.

Both Spark. You uncover the Flame Zone and you can high heat sear over the entire grilling area instead of being forced to just grill over the fire-pot.

Cover it up and get you long slow cooks on................ 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32