Author Topic: Jazz Fest and Road Trip - New Orleans to Savannah  (Read 15408 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Jazz Fest and Road Trip - New Orleans to Savannah
« Reply #-1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »
Well it's getting to be time to think about JazzFest and a visit to daughter in Savannah. At the moment I'm planning on flying in to New Orleans on Wednesday, April 26th, and leaving after JazzFest on Monday, May 8th. I figured I'd drive one way on the "northern" route (I-65) and the other via I-10 through Florida. It's about a 10-hour drive either way so I think I'll take two days each way. I haven't yet decided which route to take in which direction but I'll be heading eastbound on 8-9 May and probably return to New Orleans on May 15-16 for the flight home.

Questions follow...

Who can get to New Orleans to hang out during all or part of JazzFest (besides Lost Arrow - I know where to find him)? The festival is the last weekend of April and the first weekend of May with some "recovery time" between the two. If you're interested in the festival itself (LA and I are there pretty much every day), details are at their website.

Who's got some good suggestions for BBQ stops on the way to/from Savannah?

Who's close enough and got time to meet for a meal at one or more of those stops?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: Jazz Fest and Road Trip - New Orleans to Savannah
« on: February 24, 2017, 12:40:20 AM »
DON'T COME TO JAZZFEST !
It's to addicting  8)
Of the group KaHona & I hang with I'm a newbee , this will be my 7th year  ;D
Everyone else ( except my family is in double figures )
I'll be there from the April 27th till May 7
In the group we hang with
2 Hawaii
4 Virginia
4 Calgary Canada
3 Baton Rouge
My Family ( all 3 in NOLA )
I'm cooking crawfish one of the in between days!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 02:49:46 PM »
It's almost time. I leave Tuesday and am ready for some oysters, crawfish, music, and alcohol (not necessarily in that order). If you can get to New Orleans in the next couple of weeks, let me or LA know when (We'll both be in town from the 27th till May 8th). You don't have to go to the Fest but you do have to join us for a meal, a drink or three, or whatever. Don Bremer is probably coming in on Friday (the 28th) and there are always one or two other "possibles" out there. If you want to be a "surprise" guest, we're pretty much always at the Seahorse (on Gentilly across from the main gate) for a Bloody Mary at 10AM on Fest days.

Laissez les bons temps rouler! (or, in Cable Guy English, "Get 'er done!").

PS - If you show up on Monday, May 1st, I might even be able to snag you a coveted invitation to LA's crawfish boil.

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »
My girlfriend and  I and about 10 others will be going the 1st weekend. 

So much to do and too little time, perhaps a Bloody Mary one morning before the fest, if we can get there that early 

:D
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:50:10 PM »
See you at the Seahorse Friday morning. If you don't know what we look like, check the second row in the first picture here. LA is on the right (orange shirt, black watch) and I'm the bearded guy in the middle (and in the next picture with the two hot chicks).

If you want to try to meet up before that let one of us know; the party starts on Wednesday.