Author Topic: Considering upgrading ole Mak #1817  (Read 1200 times)

Offline abcbarbecue

Considering upgrading ole Mak #1817
« Reply #-1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »
So I'm really agonizing over whether I want to drop $700 on upgrading my Mak 2 Star to the new flame ignition system and flamezone.  I'd love to hear from anyone that can speak to the differences before and after the upgrade.

I'd also like to know how much I'm missing out by upgrading the not so ole girl Vs selling her and buying new.  I think updates include a new upper rack design, new ventilation, and improved ash disposal.  Curious if I'm missing anything else.

I'd also LOVE to see pics of steaks seared before/after the upgrade.  All help appreciated!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Considering upgrading ole Mak #1817
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »
The new ignitor is a no-brainer for me.  Do it. You will not believe how much quicker it is.  The ignitor is literally waiting on pellets to pile in front of the opening to set them ablaze.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 12:18:45 AM »
Have both on one MAK and saving up for our second one..

Offline abcbarbecue

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:47:23 AM »
Have both on one MAK and saving up for our second one..

OK, what improvement have you noticed?

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:16:18 AM »
Even better balance on temps. Uses less pellets. the base of the unit stays cooler. To me it seems to have a more intense heat with the flame zone covers removed. Steaks  we cooked had a nice char on them. the new igniter is something we just don't think about anymore as it works all the time and fast. Better low and slow temp cooking. I would actually use the original design blank drip pan with a 1/4 inch steel plate before this new design. Now we just use the new design with the covers on. Hope that gives you a idea. I swear it cooks chicken better then before. We were cooking chicken mainly on the drum and Hasty-Bake before this new flame zone.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
So I'm really agonizing over whether I want to drop $700 on upgrading my Mak 2 Star to the new flame ignition system and flamezone.  I'd love to hear from anyone that can speak to the differences before and after the upgrade.

I'd also like to know how much I'm missing out by upgrading the not so ole girl Vs selling her and buying new.  I think updates include a new upper rack design, new ventilation, and improved ash disposal.  Curious if I'm missing anything else.

I'd also LOVE to see pics of steaks seared before/after the upgrade.  All help appreciated!

I'm obviously biased, since I work at MAK, so I'll let others give their opinions!  But I did want to to add that the FlashFire ignition system also has a lifetime warranty on it, so as long as you own the grill, if the igniter ever does happen to fail, even if your grill is past the 3 year warranty, we've got you covered.

Upgrades with the 2017 compared to your model:  (and you've already touched on most of these)
New FlashFire ignition
New 2017 FlameZone system (cooking grates and flame zone covers are split the other direction, horizontally vs. vertically like yours is now)
Some vents are now in the back of grill (rather than on the sides like yours has)
New slide-in upper grate (instead of upper shelves with legs to support them)  Half size, 3/4 size, and full size available  (And the new main cooking grate fits in there as a half upper shelf too!)
The grease bucket has been exchanged for an internal drawer, and you can just dust the ash into that for easier removal.
Better tool hook (deeper loop to avoid tools blowing off in high wind)
New firmware for the controller
Hopper safety switch (stops the auger from turning if the hopper lid is opened)
Stainless steel is now a 'scratch hide' matte finish to help keep it looking new and hide blemishes or fingerprints, etc.
Exchanged four individual legs for two solid leg panels (easier assembly, and encloses sides of grill bottom)
Better casters for moving the grill around
Black powder coating (easier touch up down the line if the powder coat ever gets damaged)

I think that's everything! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

Considering upgrading ole Mak #1817
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »
Impressive list of upgrades
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer