Author Topic: Need some tips on how to use the vents to control temp in Weber Kettle  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Subvet

Need some tips on how to use the vents to control temp in Weber Kettle
« Reply #-1 on: April 15, 2017, 04:54:27 PM »
Tomorrow I'm going to try my first brisket flat on a Weber 22. I've had problems controlling the temp in the past. I've been doing a little research online and it gets confusing. One site will say control the temp with the bottom vent, the next site will say use the top vent.

I would like to keep the temp between 225 - 250. Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Ron
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline LarryO1947

I just got mine and have done some test runs. I find if I just crack the bottom vent I can then keep the temps in the range you want with just the top vent. Usually have my top vent about 1/3 to 1/2 open to hold there. Weather can affect as well, but top vent adjustments seem to work just fine.
22" Weber Premium
SNS
PBC
Char Griller Akorn
IQ110
Rec Tec-Mini
Thermoworks Smoke
Maverick ET-733
Thermapen MK4
Thermopop

Larry

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
How are you setting your charcoal up? I use the Slow n Sear and to keep my temperatures between 225 and 250 I have the bottom vent between 1/8 and 1/4 and the top vent at 1/3 open. I also control my temps with the top vent. Which ever way you go, only light about 10 briquets to start with and once these are almost greyed over then add a chunk of wood on them and set up the rest of your charcoal. There are lots of videos on You Tube that shows you how to set up your charcoal for low and slow. Main thing is have fun and don't worry if your temps vary between 225 and 275 as it is all good.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Subvet

Thanks Larry and Mike.

I will be doing the cook using the SnS so will try those recommended settings.

Mike, I installed the lid gasket. It helped quite a bit but still have some smoke loss. Hope that extra 'vent' doesn't mess too much with the temp.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Thanks Larry and Mike.

I will be doing the cook using the SnS so will try those recommended settings.

Mike, I installed the lid gasket. It helped quite a bit but still have some smoke loss. Hope that extra 'vent' doesn't mess too much with the temp.

Get some binder clips as they may help a small leak. If it is only a small bit of smoke I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you stay within the temp range you are looking for you are good to go.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline Subvet

I just got mine and have done some test runs. I find if I just crack the bottom vent I can then keep the temps in the range you want with just the top vent. Usually have my top vent about 1/3 to 1/2 open to hold there. Weather can affect as well, but top vent adjustments seem to work just fine.

Larry, are you running your Smoke probes under the lid or down through the top vent? Supposed to be windy here tomorrow so I will probably need to keep the bottom vent just cracked. Congrats on the new kettle. Its a fun learning experience and I have a long way to go.  :)
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
a water pan under the brisket will help with stabilizing temps as well as adding moisture to the cooking environment. An easier clean-up as well  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
Snake method around the outside, light 10 charcoal pieces and pour at the start of your snake.  Bottom vent to 1/4 open, top vent 3/4 open. Perfect 225° - 250° all day long.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline LarryO1947

Larry, are you running your Smoke probes under the lid or down through the top vent? Supposed to be windy here tomorrow so I will probably need to keep the bottom vent just cracked. Congrats on the new kettle. Its a fun learning experience and I have a long way to go.  :)

I drilled a small hole just under the lid and put a silicone grommet in it. Run my probes through there. I have an sns also. Forgot to mention that. I did run it under the lid while I was waiting for my grommet. Hope this helps. Good luck.
22" Weber Premium
SNS
PBC
Char Griller Akorn
IQ110
Rec Tec-Mini
Thermoworks Smoke
Maverick ET-733
Thermapen MK4
Thermopop

Larry

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
a water pan under the brisket will help with stabilizing temps as well as adding moisture to the cooking environment. An easier clean-up as well  :thumbup:

No need for the water pan if he is using the Slow n Sear. It has a water trough.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline Subvet

So far the cook has been an up and down effort.  :D Took about an hour to get the temp up to 225. Once there it stayed within 5 degrees either way. After about 4 hours my Smoke alarm went off and temp had dropped to below 200. Opened lid to find just about all my charcoal had been used. Can't imagine how a full SnS burned through that much so fast. Added more charcoal and it took awhile to get temp stable again at around 235. It's been there for an hour or so.

-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline LarryO1947

Re: Need some tips on how to use the vents to control temp in Weber Kettle
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »
The directions that came with my SNS for starting the fire and getting it to hold temps at 225 worked perfectly for me. Follow them closely and I am sure you will be alright. My last cook was at the 5 hr mark and I had charcoal left. The water was about empty but charcoal was good.
22" Weber Premium
SNS
PBC
Char Griller Akorn
IQ110
Rec Tec-Mini
Thermoworks Smoke
Maverick ET-733
Thermapen MK4
Thermopop

Larry

Offline Subvet

Re: Need some tips on how to use the vents to control temp in Weber Kettle
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
The directions that came with my SNS for starting the fire and getting it to hold temps at 225 worked perfectly for me. Follow them closely and I am sure you will be alright. My last cook was at the 5 hr mark and I had charcoal left. The water was about empty but charcoal was good.

Followed the SnS directions closely except for starting with only 8 briquettes. That's probably the reason it took so long to get temp to 225. Used the vent openings on the directions and varied them a little bit to your and Mike's settings. I just now added about 10 more . This is now about a 9 hour cook so maybe the charcoal usage is just about right. Should be coming off in another 45 min or an hour.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill