Author Topic: Brisket size limits  (Read 1941 times)

Offline WaDoug

Brisket size limits
« Reply #-1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:05:38 PM »
New to PBC. Got a 15 lb brisket, 20 inches long with a thick point. Plan to cook tomorrow. Will I be able to hang it as is, or do I need to plan to trim some off the end of the flat to keep it out of the fire. I don't really want to split the point and flat. Haven't measured the distance from the hanging rods and fire box, but will tomorrow. Maybe that will answer my question, but would appreciate any feedback about the PBC size limits for a brisket, more in terms of length than weight.

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

Re: Brisket size limits
« on: April 21, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
New to PBC. Got a 15 lb brisket, 20 inches long with a thick point. Plan to cook tomorrow. Will I be able to hang it as is, or do I need to plan to trim some off the end of the flat to keep it out of the fire. I don't really want to split the point and flat. Haven't measured the distance from the hanging rods and fire box, but will tomorrow. Maybe that will answer my question, but would appreciate any feedback about the PBC size limits for a brisket, more in terms of length than weight.

Welcome.  I would use the grate for convenience.  The hooks can be inserted for helping moving the brisket from your kitchen to the PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
I would hang the brisket with the hooks in the flat  and let the point be down at the coals. If you are uncomfortable with hanging a brisket this big...use the rack and flip the brisket every two hours.....this way both sides get the flavor profile from the "Grease Fog"
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »
Ya know, come to think of it, in the PBC brisket video, Noah hangs a pretty big packer with no problems.  Why not shoot them a call and see what they say?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline WaDoug

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 03:39:33 PM »
Thank you for your help and guidance. Brief update. I chained three hooks together on the point. Using the first hook, the brisket hit the coals, so I unhooked the first one and attached the second one to the rebar. That gave me enough clearance. I saw that done on Smokey Ribs BBQ and Southern Cuisine's You Tube channel when he did a brisket on the Pit Barrel. Put it on about a hour ago. So far so good.

Offline WaDoug

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 11:45:09 PM »
Outcome: cooked for about 7 hrs. Pulled at internal temp of 200-205. Put in cooler wrapped in towels/newspaper for a couple of hours. It was over cooked, a bit dry, but good flavor and very delicious slices. I think, based on the Pit Barrel temps, that the carry over temps are higher than a traditional low/slow cook. Probably should have removed at 190-195. But that's the fun of bbq. Well...it did cost me $45 for that lesson. The leftovers are very usable. Made a brisket hash and brisket pizza. Both excellent.

Lesson learned - next time I'll try to find a smaller brisket, 10-12 lb size, pull at a 190-195 temp. Put in cooler for 1-2 hrs.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:55:09 AM »
Sounds like the outcome was tasty :thumbup: :thumbup:

Our local Staters markets sell flats out with the other meats and when I am hankering for a briskie, I just get the point from them.........never have to worry about that part of the brisket getting dry  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 03:16:52 PM »
Outcome: cooked for about 7 hrs. Pulled at internal temp of 200-205. Put in cooler wrapped in towels/newspaper for a couple of hours. It was over cooked, a bit dry, but good flavor and very delicious slices. I think, based on the Pit Barrel temps, that the carry over temps are higher than a traditional low/slow cook. Probably should have removed at 190-195. But that's the fun of bbq. Well...it did cost me $45 for that lesson. The leftovers are very usable. Made a brisket hash and brisket pizza. Both excellent.

Lesson learned - next time I'll try to find a smaller brisket, 10-12 lb size, pull at a 190-195 temp. Put in cooler for 1-2 hrs.

Also consider using the grates as it is much easier to handle a large brisket this way and will be away from coals

Offline scottv

Brisket size limits
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 06:49:25 PM »
Did you wrap it at all during the cook?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline WaDoug

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 11:33:22 PM »
Good question Scottv. I did wrap, after internal temp was about 170. The brisket was too large to use the grate until it had time to cook and shrink up. I wrapped with foil and added a small amount of beef broth. Filled the grate.  After wrapping, it took maybe 90 min to finish. In hindsight, I probably should have wrapped closer to 160, as Noah instructs, but it just didn't have the color I wanted at 160.

No regrets. As everyone here knows, you just got to know your cooker. Everyone is different. I am enjoying learning to use the Pit Barrel. This was my fourth cook, first was ribs-turned out great, next four chicken halves-again a good result, third was a 6lb boston butt-excellent. So, this brisket cook was a good learning experience. Looking forward to many more.