Author Topic: MES Custom SS - maiden test smoke is done!!!  (Read 927 times)

Offline DWard51

MES Custom SS - maiden test smoke is done!!!
« Reply #-1 on: June 24, 2017, 04:32:38 PM »
Well, this could be a jerky thread, but it's really more about the test of the MES Custom SS build than it is about the product being smoked.

As I recently completed the complete tear down, heavy modification, and rebuild of a MES Custom SS (SS for sticks and sausage), it was time to actually put some meat on those racks and see how this build would perform.  I did expect some learning curve as this is about as far from stock as a MES can be so I'm in unknown territory on performance.

I had some Smoking Gun Jerky Marinade that I needed to use, so since I was familiar with the flavor profile it produced, I figured some sliced muscle jerky with SGJM would be a good trial for the first run.  I like this stuff, and wish there was someone closer to me (or Amazon) who carried it as it costs me more to ship it to GA than a gallon of the marinade costs in the first place.  Yeah, I know... there are plenty of good recipes out there that can be made locally (and I have done so), but I like the "jerky rounds" made with SGJM.

Trimmed up about 4.5 lbs of beef round and cut into 1/4" thick slices by hand.  Then divided into 2 zip lock bags.  I put a cup of marinade in each bag after mixing in the appropriate amount of cure #1.  I know the SGJM says no cure needed, but I use cure in all my jerky or ground meat projects that are going to be smoked.  Marinaded for about 14 hours, mixing the bags up every time I walked by the fridge.

I had previously run a couple of trays of chips at 170* thorough the MES Custom SS to start seasoning the interior. No oil, just smoke.  You can see the results of that in the photos below.

4.5 lbs took about 3 1/2 racks.  I could have probably squeezed it into 3, but wanted decent air flow. I should be able to fit 10 lbs in on a run without any difficulty (I'm ordering 1 more rack to replace that top rack that I moved or else I'm building something to slide in the drip pan area). For this smoke I took the stock rack for the water and chip pans out and moved the top rack to that position to hold a disposable pan top as a drip pan and heat baffle.  I also moved the PID pit sensor to the top rack position on the right side.  I expected the lowest temps at the top due to the meat sucking heat out of the air column as it rose.

Here we have the finished product.  I did rotate the racks twice during the smoke which ran about 8 hours.  I ran an hour at 120* to dry the surface, then kicked to 140* for 2 hours with smoke, then to 165* without smoke to finish to desired bend-a-bility of the jerky.  The temps seemed even side to side and front to back on a rack, but as expected the lower racks ran hotter.  But, I can deal with that by rotating the rack positions in the heat column.

The finished jerky had a better flavor profile (as far as smoke flavor) than the exact same marinade from the same batch on Jerky that was smoked in my e-WSM mod.  I'm very pleased with the results and this was worth the effort.  Next smoke will be some snack sticks.

Mmmmmmm..... tasty!!!!!!!!

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: MES Custom SS - maiden test smoke is done!!!
« on: June 24, 2017, 04:43:21 PM »
Looks super good.  Do you need my mailing address?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pappymn

MES Custom SS - maiden test smoke is done!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 05:56:56 PM »
Very nice. I plan on starting some jerky tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »
You're close enough that I can come get some, lol!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline DWard51

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:35:44 PM »
Between my daughter and her husband who came for a visit Thursday, and another family friend, and of course myself.....   I'm down to like 4 pieces.  This stuff goes fast.  I've got 6 pounds of sticks made from Owens Chipolte Wildfire mix with ECA added for that twang in the MES Custom SS now.   Still has a couple of hours to go.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
Whenever I see beef jerkey, I think "Road Trip"  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:27:11 PM »
Looks great -- now you have started me thinking.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.