Author Topic: Competition Ribs  (Read 987 times)

Offline JMK

Competition Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
Hello!
I have been working on a competition rib and struggling.  I have the fall off the bone thing down great and the family is loving all my "failures".  When I reduce the temp to around 250 and foil when 170ish for an hour and then back on till all most falls off the bone.  Temp 205 ish they are turning out dry and not real tender.  It takes about 3 hours to get to the 170, and about 45 to get to the 205 after foil. What am I missing?  St Louis Ribs

Has anyone tried the BBQ IQ thing to regulate temp?

Thanks all!

Offline Hub

Re: Competition Ribs
« on: July 09, 2017, 06:35:07 AM »
I've been cooking ribs in competition for years and I totally understand your frustration with the PBC when it comes to this endeavor.  I often use mine for "friends and family" ribs and enjoy the flavor the PBC imparts but would not use it in competition even though it can and does produce a winning rib now and then.

Here's the problem.  The PBC is a very simple design, intended for use mainly by timing rather than temperature management.   Competition ribs need precise temperature management.  Many folks diddle around with the rebars, lid, vent, fullness of the pan, etc., but none of these methods produce the consistency needed for perfect bite and non-mush texture that a pellet cooker or well controlled stick burner will.  I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't compete in ribs with a PBC -- some do -- but you'll work a lot harder and have less reliable results.  Measuring inter-bone temps and chamber temps are difficult.

On the brighter side, I've used my PBC for chicken in competition and gotten a couple of walks.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

Re: Competition Ribs
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:51:20 AM »
Following the lighting process according to your elevation is key to the best results and most consistent temperatures. Don't let the charcoal burn too long during the lighting process, you'll start off too hot and the coals may exhaust too soon for longer cooks. Never hesitate to contact our office if you have questions or concerns and please feel free to check out all the videos on our website in the Video Recipes section. Enjoy :thumbup: