Author Topic: Loving Alabama  (Read 3115 times)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: Loving Alabama
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 05:33:08 PM »
I'm a damn Yankee, but after 11 years I think I'm finally being accepted as a Southerner.  Cooking briskets and butts and sharing I think did the trick.   :D

Sparky, which Bob Gibson's did you go to?  I've been to the original in Decatur, I have to agree the best ribs I've ever had.  I had thought mine were good but i don't know what it is there was something special about Chris Lily's.  I haven't been satisfied with my ribs ever since though I have gotten better. I had the brisket and butt also, wasn't so impressed with them, tasted like they were reheated from the day before. 

The first few years we were here the humidity was almost non-existant because of drought.  Always a breeze blowing.  But this year is extreme due to all the rain.  I don't miss shoveling snow and falling on my ass at 5:00 in the morning cleaning the driveway and scraping windows.  I live in a city of 8000 in a county of 20,000, a sleepy farm town.  Not too many a-holes but as RG says they are everywhere, just fewer and far between here.

You won't have any regrets Sparky, Huntsville is a great area.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »
Don't forget to get some of those wonderful Mobile oysters and shrimp, awesome good stuff.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 08:16:08 PM »
We went to the big bob Gibson's in Decatur.  Ribs were the best I have every had.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
A major benefit of making the move to Huntsville is that you will be only 5 hours drive from Backyard Jack's BBQ in Byron, GA...home of the Cookout with Bremer in October.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 03:36:03 PM »
A major benefit of making the move to Huntsville is that you will be only 5 hours drive from Backyard Jack's BBQ in Byron, GA...home of the Cookout with Bremer in October.

That sounds great.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 01:04:07 AM »
... a damn yankee is a yankee that moved to the south.
Actually, a damn yankee is a person who moves South and refuses to go back north

I grew up thinking "yankee" and "damn yankee" were pretty much synonymous. We called the ones who moved to the South "carpetbaggers" (so named for the yankees who moved south to take advantage of political and economic upheaval after the Civil War and typically carried their belongings in a carpetbag).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion