Author Topic: Hot Dog Throwdown, What's YOUR favorite?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Hot Dog Throwdown, What's YOUR favorite?
« Reply #-1 on: July 29, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
I’ve had both the Hebrew National Franks and the Sahlen’s hot dogs and liked both.  Thought I would do a side by side comparison to see which one I liked best.

Here’s the lineup:

Opened the packages and took a whiff of each.  The Sahlen’s reminded me of the classic hot dog smell filling the air at  fairs & carnivals.  The Hebrew National’s had a more intense seasoned smell. 

Appearance I give to the Sahlen’s. I liked the tied ends.

We like ours brown all over, the Weber grates are perfect for cradling and browning the dogs.

Taste:  Wow, this was tougher than I thought.  With the Hebrew Nationals being all beef franks and the Sahlen’s being a classic hot dog there was a big difference.  The Hebrew’s had a much more intense seasoned flavor, the Sahlen’s had that classic hot dog flavor, almost bland compared to the Franks.  It was a tough decision but I gave the nod to the Hebrew National Franks.  Flavor held up better on a bun, wife agreed.  We both prefer intense flavors so the franks get the win.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:42:56 AM by bamabob »
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: Hot Dog Throwdown, What's YOUR favorite?
« on: July 29, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
I've been eating Hebrew Nationals for quite a while and really do enjoy them.  In fact, there's a Hebrew stand just outside of Columbia, SC on I-26.  I try to stop there for lunch when I ride to visit my daughter in St. Augustine.

I just tried Sahlen’s for the first time a month or so ago.

Like you, I think that both are tasty, so, I may have to try to replicate your taste test.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
Yay! I love the Hebe Nats....But then again...why wouldn't I
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 01:36:04 PM »
Nathan's.  They're great.  I like the ones with cheese inside but my wife thinks I have problems.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »
Sahlen's for me but only if cooked on charcoal. I think it makes a big difference, but that's true with Hebs too. I like charcoal grilled dogs. With that said, I wouldn't turn any of those dogs you grilled, they look fantastic!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »
Nathan's.  They're great.  I like the ones with cheese inside but my wife thinks I have problems.

ALL wives think that, so don't worry, you're in good company with the rest of us lol!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 03:01:07 PM »
I make my own.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline DWard51

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »
Sahleen's is good stuff, but the hot dogs of my childhood were from Nu-Way in Macon.  Never seen them in stores in packages though.  But those were "weiners" and not hotdogs, and yes, they spell it that way on purpose.  They opened in Macon the same year that Nathan's opened their first stand in New York.  I think their stores are still only in the Macon, Warner Robins, and Ft Vally, GA areas even today and they have a loyal following not unlike the Varsity does in Atlanta. Oh, and don't forget to eat the flaky ice that's in your drink

Serious Eats did a write up on them a while back.....

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04/hot-dog-of-the-week-nu-way-weiners-in-macon-georgia.html

Dang, now I've got a hankerin' for a Nu-Way weiner!!!!!!  And they are 55 miles from here....

Offline DWard51

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »
I don't know if this thread is limited to home cooked dogs or in general, but another contender I would like to throw in the ring for hotdog stands is "The Doghouse" in Albuquerque, NM on Route 66 Now called Central Ave).  We spent 2 weeks out there training back in 1999 and I think we ate there dang near every night.  They have a killer chili cheese dog with a nice kick to it. The Dog House was featured in the Breaking Bad TV series several times, but we were there well before then.

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 12:29:57 AM »
I like the Vienna Brand Frankfurters (Chicago Style Dogs) about the best of all I have tasted.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 05:36:36 PM »
Sahleen's is good stuff, but the hot dogs of my childhood were from Nu-Way in Macon.  Never seen them in stores in packages though.  But those were "weiners" and not hotdogs, and yes, they spell it that way on purpose.  They opened in Macon the same year that Nathan's opened their first stand in New York.  I think their stores are still only in the Macon, Warner Robins, and Ft Vally, GA areas even today and they have a loyal following not unlike the Varsity does in Atlanta. Oh, and don't forget to eat the flaky ice that's in your drink

Serious Eats did a write up on them a while back.....

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04/hot-dog-of-the-week-nu-way-weiners-in-macon-georgia.html

Dang, now I've got a hankerin' for a Nu-Way weiner!!!!!!  And they are 55 miles from here....

If you'll come to the Cookout with Bremer in October, we'll go to the Warner Robins Nu-Way and get a bag of hot dogs.  It's just 10 minutes from our house.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »
Hebrew National in our house. When we lived in the San Fernando Valley, Cupids was the place to go for a hot dog. They had the casings that would snap just a bit when ya bit into them................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »
Due to allergies/sensitivities, I can't have most brands of hot dogs. For us it's either homemade wieners, or we get the Oscar Mayer "Selects", or the Coleman brand all beef (which are quite pricey).   The Oscar Mayer Selects beef and the Coleman's all beef are both excellent dawgs!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline DWard51

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 10:12:51 PM »

If you'll come to the Cookout with Bremer in October, we'll go to the Warner Robins Nu-Way and get a bag of hot dogs.  It's just 10 minutes from our house.

I'm not saying I can't, but I also can't commit.  I've got 2 medical issues going on and I know one of them is going to require surgery and it will be in the Sept/Oct range (it's official - getting old sucks).  But I would love to get down there.  Might just have to back track from the low carb diet for a day or two.....