Author Topic: Jerky Rack  (Read 629 times)

Offline Pappymn

Jerky Rack
« Reply #-1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »
Anybody have a jerky rack they would recommend? I'm using frog mats in my Mak to smoke my jerky. I really like to be able to smoke more at a time. Can't even get 5 pounds at a time with the way I am doing it.

Thanks
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline DWard51

Re: Jerky Rack
« on: August 03, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
Before I converted a MES just for jerky, sticks and sausage smoking, I used extra racks in a WSM.  I cut some 1" square cubes to use as rack spacers using 3 per rack, then put another rack above, more cubes, and repeat until I ran out of room.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 05:43:11 PM »
Great Idea. Grab a cheapie cooking grate and you could use lag bolts with some big washers and you will be all set. Wouldn't be worth spending the extra coin for the MAK rack..........or would it?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Jerky Rack
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:58:09 PM »
I have the upper Mak rack. And this is pappy we are taking about here. No skills for that kind of metal work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »
This is what I use Pappy:  https://smile.amazon.com/Weston-Nonstick-3-Tier-Drying-Baking/dp/B0085ISSR6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501801705&sr=8-3&keywords=jerky+racks

A little pricey but works great! I will sometimes just use a rack or two to cook other things on my pellet pooper.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 01:16:21 AM »
I forgot to put this in my original post, but since the WSM was round, I bought some pizza screens from a online commercial supply house.  They were around $3 each in a pack of a dozen.  I've seen some square ones, but I"m not sure what size you would need for a MAK, but if they will work, it's a dirt cheap solution.  I thought about putting bolts on them for permanent legs to separate them, but the little 1" wood cubes were from a piece of scrap and when washed the screens take up nearly zero space if they can lay flat against themselves in storage.   I never had problems with the jerky or sticks sticking to the screen either as I gave them a light spray with some store brand non-stick cooking oil.  Plus they wash up just fine in the dishwasher.