Author Topic: Looking at MAK to replace WSM.  (Read 2858 times)

Offline missin44

Looking at MAK to replace WSM.
« Reply #-1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »
While this may not be the most objective place to look get info on a MAK, it could be the best. I'm looking to replace my WSM w/BBQ Guru. I'm really looking at the full gamut of cookers - a dedicated smoker, (270 Smoker), kamado or pellet.  Yes all very different still that's what I'm looking at, the focus will be on smoking. My WSM has been great with the addition of the Guru (truly set it and forget it), however after so many years of abuse is on it last legs.

I'm looking hard at the MAK 1 or 2 Star. There is a huge price difference, aside from the stainless I'm trying to nail down the exact differences between the two.

Anyway know nothing is perfect, for the MAK owners tell me what  you like? More important what do you not like?
Suggested accessories, etc?

Offline Pappymn

« on: October 08, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
You picked the best pellet cooker made, so kudos. With the larger size of the new one star it is a very compelling choice. I originally got the two star cuz it was bigger. If the new one star has the new flame lighting system (I don't know if it does), I would go one star. I haven't looked at all the other changes they have made so I may be missing something.
The pellet boss is the best in the business. Extra top shelf accessory is a must buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Looking at MAK to replace WSM.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »
I would go one star.
The pellet boss is the best in the business. Extra top shelf accessory is a must buy.

Completely agree with pappy.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »
I've cooked on WSM's, multiple ceramic kamados and now a MAK 2 Star. There is no way in the world I'd go back to smoking on a kamado or WSM. I much MUCH prefer what comes off of my MAK :)  And the cool thing...you'll never ever wear a MAK out... no way!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:15:52 PM »
Hello Missin 44! While the 1 & 2 Star both have the same amount of cooking surface, the 2 Star, with the Warmer/Smoker Box and FlameZone direct cooking set up would be the way to go. You could add the FZ to the 1 Star for an additional $400.00 if you wish. That would bring you to $2100 without any options.

Alot of people choose the 2 Star because the main cooking chamber, pellet hopper and warmer/smoker box lids are all 304 Stainless Steel. Whereas the 1 Star is constructed of aluminized steel with a high-temp powder coat. 

Personally, I like the ease of cleaning the SS on my 2 Star. And the FZ makes grilling easy as well. Its also easy to cold smoke cheese, nuts, meats, salt, brown sugar, black pepper-which you can use in your dry rubs.  The main difference in pricing is the amount of stainless steel in the 2 Star. It is NOT an in-expensive metal.

A grill cover, 3/4 upper grate and if you love barbecuing ribs, then our 8 slab rib rack is incredible. Wi-Fi accessory is also very popular with our grill owners.
I have been cooking on pellet grills since 1991. I switched from using WSM's myself.  Pellet grills made the ability to turn out REAL BBQ so much easier and hassle free. MAK is the pellet grill that all the other manufacturers are copying. Quality only hurts once. 
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »
Another benefit of the 2 Star is that you can add the Super Smoke Box. I use mine to cold smoke cheese, salmon, trout, jerky, steaks, etc.

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »
Another benefit of the 2 Star is that you can add the Super Smoke Box. I use mine to cold smoke cheese, salmon, trout, jerky, steaks, etc.

Dang you keep a clean grill
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 07:49:32 PM »

Dang you keep a clean grill

:D :D :D :D  It was clean once Pappy!!! ... before I used it (this is my 2nd 2 Star. My youngest Son has my 1st one now) - It's now seasoned to perfection.  :thumbup:
Char Broil SRG

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »
We are wondering about the longevity of the Mak 1 star as it is no longer stainless. Which is why I’m interested in the mini.

Offline NativeTxn

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 10:23:27 PM »
You picked the best pellet cooker made, so kudos. With the larger size of the new one star it is a very compelling choice. I originally got the two star cuz it was bigger. If the new one star has the new flame lighting system (I don't know if it does), I would go one star. I haven't looked at all the other changes they have made so I may be missing something.

Would you suggest the full size upper shelf? Or is the 75% upper sufficient?

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 11:20:51 PM »
I'm am not current on what they offer today. But I would suggest the full upper shelf. You will not regret the additional real estate.

Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 11:44:38 PM »
Years ago when I bought my 2nd shelves I bought 2 half shelves. It gives you the most options. Either way, I recommend a second shelf.
Char Broil SRG

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
We are wondering about the longevity of the Mak 1 star as it is no longer stainless. Which is why I’m interested in the mini.

the one star is made from aluminized steel which is powder coated.  No worries, it will last.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
Just picked up our 2 star on Fri.  We got the 3/4 top shelf and griddle.  Made 2 pizzas on Friday.  There was more smoke flavor than either of the 2 wood fired pizza places in town, might I say, almost too much.  I pressure cooked ribs and then put them on the grill on Saturday - it actually blackened them (even with covers on for indirect cooking). I really like cleaning it, which is what I hated about our traeger.  They obviously thought about maintenance because the bottom grate is in 2 sections for easy removal and the metal under the grates has hand holds.  Grates and metal section (grease pan?) remove with plenty of room on each side so you don’t struggle to remove. The fire pot is also removable which is important as you need to dump it every 3-5 cooks. My husband has analyzed their controller and it’s obvious lots of thought went into it. As the controller gets close to the set point it slows down so that it doesn’t overshoot.  I’ve never had anything this accurate, I think it’s better than my oven.  It’s a lot of money but it should last long. It’s made in Oregon.  What can I say, I’m careful with money but we love this thing.  Just bought groceries this morning, all grillable. Go figure.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 03:48:08 PM »
Like they say about Mak. Cry once

Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109