Author Topic: Tasty Tuesday-Beef Short or Long Ribs  (Read 1868 times)

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
Tasty Tuesday-Beef Short or Long Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: October 31, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »
“Tasty Tuesday” has arrived! One of the great joys of cooking on a MAK is the ability to turn out smoke infused food. This week, beef short/long ribs. You can use the same technique for either short or long ribs. The most important element is getting them specially cut by your local meat shop/butcher. You want a good amount of meat on top of the bone, approximately 2-3 inches.  You can have the ribs cut into four inch pieces if so desired (making them short ribs, rather than long ones)
Because of their muscle structure, the beef ribs will need to bathe in smoke and heat to break down the collagen and meat fibers rendering them tender. Anticipate a 6 to 8 hour cook.
MAK SMOKED BEEF SHORT/LONG RIBS
Serves 2-4

Ingredients:
2-3 lbs. beef short ribs
2 TBSP. sea salt
2-3 TBSP. black pepper
Optional: garlic powder, brown sugar which you can add to the salt and pepper
Olive oil

Preparation:
Carefully cut off the silver skin membrane from the top of the ribs. Leave approximately one quarter inch of fat on the meat. Do not peel the membrane from the bone side of the rib.
Once trimmed, apply a light coat of olive oil to the rib meat.
In a plastic bag, combine the salt and pepper, apply a thin layer of the seasoning to each rib.

Cooking:
Start your MAK and leave in smoke mode. Allow grill to come to temperature. For models with a FlameZone, leave both sides covered. You may opt to use an upper grate to place the ribs on.
Smoke ribs for 5-6 hours. Then, raise the grill temperature to 300F until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the rib is 190-200F.  Note: The meat on the rib will shrink significantly.
Once cooked, remove the ribs and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 02:23:54 PM by mrbbq »
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Tasty Tuesday-Beef Short or Long Ribs
« on: October 31, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »
Great looking ribs.
Just a clarification on long vs short ribs. The "traditional" long ribs are beef back ribs, taken from the rib section. Short ribs, regardless of the length they are cut, are taken from the plate cut. I only mention this because they usually are cooked differently, short ribs being braised more often then back ribs.

Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »
Good looking beef you got!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »
Awesome!!  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 06:37:32 PM »
Great looking ribs.
Just a clarification on long vs short ribs. The "traditional" long ribs are beef back ribs, taken from the rib section. Short ribs, regardless of the length they are cut, are taken from the plate cut. I only mention this because they usually are cooked differently, short ribs being braised more often then back ribs.

Thanks for pointing that out. You can braise the ribs if you like. I chose not to, so that I could enjoy the cherry wood smoke in the ribs. I think I will take the remaining ribs back to the meat shop and have them cut them in half for me before I do the next batch.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
I usually don't braise mine either (but yours look better than mine), although I am going to try a braise recipe this weekend.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »
I usually don't braise mine either (but yours look better than mine), although I am going to try a braise recipe this weekend.

Gus---check out this blog for an interesting take on braised short ribs. http://www.vindulge.com/2016/05/smoked-beef-short-ribs/

Offline Kevin_NJ

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 04:22:32 PM »
I tried to make these and they came out VERY tough; to the point they were nearly inedible. My home made jerky isn't as tough as these ribs were. They were flavorful and juicy, just very tough.

I had them on the upper rack of my MAK at Smoke for about 6:15 hrs, then bumped up the temp to 330. After about 20 mins the IT was around 190-200F depending on where I probed them. So I pulled them at that point. 

I bought them from a local farm/market that raises the cows and sends them out to a processor. They're claimed to be grass-fed, 4 bones 2.09# total. I figure that may have been a factor?

I've got another rack about the same size and a brisket that at this point I'm a bit leery to cook.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
I wonder if leaving the silver skin stuff on makes it tough.  I thought it had to be removed, even on the back bone side - at least that is what I heard for pork.  I tend to pressure cook then put on the grill, that seems to make it more idiot proof for me.