Author Topic: Tri tip  (Read 2838 times)

Offline akjeff

Tri tip
« Reply #-1 on: December 10, 2017, 10:07:06 PM »
The MAK continues to impress. Cooked a pair of tri tips today. Simple seasoning of S&P, and a very light dusting of granulated garlic and onion, after a light rub of EVOO. Used hickory pellets, and started on "Smoke" until internal temp was 115F and moved to the warming drawer while the grill got up to 450 for the sear. After a few minutes per side, pulled at 130F followed by about a 20 minute rest. Juicy and tender, very good. The wife's garlic rosemary smashed new 'taters really rocked! I'm beginning to think that by summer, if this MAK continues to kick butt, I'll have a Primo Large Oval for sale!

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline rwalters

Tri tip
« on: December 10, 2017, 11:18:41 PM »
Beautifully done!! WOW, possibly sell the Primo?!?!  Don’t misunderstand me, I love LOVE my MAK!!!! But sometimes nothing beat a blazing hot lump charcoal fire.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline akjeff

Re: Tri tip
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:14:17 AM »
Thanks rw! The Primo's fate isn't entirely sealed yet! Still have to spend more time with the MAK. I have yet to cook a plain old steak on it, which is where the Primo really shines. We'll see.  :)

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:10:19 AM »
Looks Great!  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Pappymn

Tri tip
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »
Beef and taters look great. But we have a strict no pea policy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline akjeff

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »
Beef and taters look great. But we have a strict no pea policy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:-[
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
Looks great and i will take Pappy's peas.
Love to cook and eat

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:38:05 AM »
Some great looking grub!  :thumbup:

Thanks rw! The Primo's fate isn't entirely sealed yet! Still have to spend more time with the MAK. I have yet to cook a plain old steak on it, which is where the Primo really shines. We'll see.  :)

Jeff

You may be very well surprised at just how hot the new FlameZone kit gets for searing steaks, especially with the MAK Searing Grate (the griddle is nice too): http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=20313.0

Oh and... I put on my moderator's cap for a moment in order to keep the peas peace.  Hopefully the, erm...   ANTIPA crowd (Anti-Pea Action) will find this edited image less objectionable! :D  ::)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
Nice job!! Unlike Pappy, many of us LOVE Peas!!!  :thumbup:   :D :D :D
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 12:42:30 PM »
I will eat peas if I have to but I will definitely give that tri tip a shot.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
Very nice - cooked to perfection!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline akjeff

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 11:49:20 PM »
Thanks again, folks!

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 08:35:22 AM »

Jeff

Jeff - if you use one of these: https://www.makgrills.com/shop/2-star-sear-grate/ I can assure you - your steak will have incredible sear marks. You can also use Grill Grates. Do NOT cover the entire surface of the MAK with them. Leave a gap on either end for airflow.
These grates will adsorb the heat energy on the bottom and transfer it to the top of the "bars" onto grates, concentrating it there.
The net result being that yo can set your MAK on 400F - or higher - and you will get really nice searing. I like to use the smoke setting first for 1 hour or so - then pull the steaks off and ramp up the heat to sear using the sear grates - then put the stakes back on to finish. You get a real wood fired grill steak flavor - which is different than just cooked over charcoal.
If instead you want to to go "Pittsburgh Style" - just install a searing grate - and get the MAK up to temp. Then pop the steaks in and prepare to flip them quickly. ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline akjeff

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »

Jeff

Jeff - if you use one of these: https://www.makgrills.com/shop/2-star-sear-grate/ I can assure you - your steak will have incredible sear marks. You can also use Grill Grates. Do NOT cover the entire surface of the MAK with them. Leave a gap on either end for airflow.
These grates will adsorb the heat energy on the bottom and transfer it to the top of the "bars" onto grates, concentrating it there.
The net result being that yo can set your MAK on 400F - or higher - and you will get really nice searing. I like to use the smoke setting first for 1 hour or so - then pull the steaks off and ramp up the heat to sear using the sear grates - then put the stakes back on to finish. You get a real wood fired grill steak flavor - which is different than just cooked over charcoal.
If instead you want to to go "Pittsburgh Style" - just install a searing grate - and get the MAK up to temp. Then pop the steaks in and prepare to flip them quickly. ;D

The sear grate is on my list. Waiting for the covers to be ready to ship, and will then get the sear grate(and griddle) and combine all the shipping. I cook my steaks on my Primo as you do. Reverse sear with smoke. Intend to do the same on the MAK. I just wish the sear grate was made from SS instead of aluminum. Kicking around the idea of machining my own out of 304 SS. Need to find a scrap/cutoff at a local fab shop to make it practical, as buying a 1/2 or full sheet just for a couple sq feet is not practical.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »

Jeff - Here's what a couple of New York Strip Steaks look like on a MAK using a Searing Grate ...  8) 8)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG