Author Topic: Meat thermometer  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Harriska2

Meat thermometer
« Reply #-1 on: December 12, 2017, 05:09:59 PM »
Yesterday I used the 2 star standard meat thermometer to track a beef roast. I used the Sunday Roast Traeger recipe which called for browning at 450 for 25 min then 225 for 2-3 hours.  The roast was rubbed and sitting in beef broth uncovered.  I got the roast up to 142 degrees but after 3 hours it wouldn’t budge higher. The 2-3 hours was for 3 to 3.5 lb roast, mine was 2.5 lb.  I used another thermometer that indicated it was 155 (which I wanted for well done as we are a bunch of wimps).  Is there a calibration for the thermometer? BTW, the roast was pretty dried out and super done.  That said we still devoured it as the smoke flavor is really addictive.  Suggestions? My husband wants to test the thermometer by dipping it in boiling water which we haven’t tested yet.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Meat thermometer
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:21:10 PM »
test the thermometer with hot and cold water..or get a thermapen..the red one is the fastest..it's kinda pricey but worth it.
Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

Meat thermometer
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »
test the thermometer with hot and cold water..or get a thermapen..the red one is the fastest..it's kinda pricey but worth it.
Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
What she said. Buy it once and you will have it for life. Something goes wrong with it. Send it to them and they will fix it.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
..or get a thermapen..the red one is the fastest..it's kinda pricey but worth it.
Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
And here I was thinking of getting the yellow one  ;)

Offline rwalters

Meat thermometer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:27 PM »
Yep, I almost never use the MAK probes. I’m all about Thermoworks products, especially the Thermapen.  Only time I use the MAK probes is for loooong unmanned cooks where I need the Pellet Boss to drop the temp when my internal temp is at my desired temp and hold the meat until I return to the cooker (a very handy feature when needed!).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:29:12 AM by rwalters »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Pappymn

Meat thermometer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 11:22:05 PM »
You just can't beat the accuracy of Thermoworks products

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 12:34:12 PM »
Yesterday I used the 2 star standard meat thermometer to track a beef roast. I used the Sunday Roast Traeger recipe which called for browning at 450 for 25 min then 225 for 2-3 hours.  The roast was rubbed and sitting in beef broth uncovered.  I got the roast up to 142 degrees but after 3 hours it wouldn’t budge higher. The 2-3 hours was for 3 to 3.5 lb roast, mine was 2.5 lb.  I used another thermometer that indicated it was 155 (which I wanted for well done as we are a bunch of wimps).  Is there a calibration for the thermometer? BTW, the roast was pretty dried out and super done.  That said we still devoured it as the smoke flavor is really addictive.  Suggestions? My husband wants to test the thermometer by dipping it in boiling water which we haven’t tested yet.

There is no calibration adjustment for the meat probe. MAKs or any other brand of similar type meat probe.
If your probe is 1 year old or less, it will be replaced at no charge by MAK. Please call Dennis Ogg @ 503-623-1234 for technical assistance. What may have happened is that the probe got damaged exposing it to 450F while you were browning the roast. Whenever you use your meat probe, always run it through the "mouse hole" on the left side of the grill. This prevents damage caused by the lid dropping on the probe cable.
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
Your first mistake was using a Traeger recipe on a MAK ...  :D :D :D

But seriously - I always use my MAK probe and a 'pink' Thermoworks to verify my internal temperatures. I have found that a probe is only as accurate as it's placement. That's why I use the MAK probe to monitor the cook and then use my Thermoworks to check a couple of different locations to finalize the cook.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 05:27:41 PM »

There is no calibration adjustment for the meat probe. MAKs or any other brand of similar type meat probe.
If your probe is 1 year old or less, it will be replaced at no charge by MAK. Please call Dennis Ogg @ 503-623-1234 for technical assistance. What may have happened is that the probe got damaged exposing it to 450F while you were browning the roast. Whenever you use your meat probe, always run it through the "mouse hole" on the left side of the grill. This prevents damage caused by the lid dropping on the probe cable.

I put the probe in when it was 225. I used the mouse hole. I stuck it in at various places and got the same reading.

My theory is: the other thermometer is wrong.

The beef really did take over three ours to cook.

I just used the mak thermometer for a whole chicken and it really did take about 4 hours for 4.7 lbs at 225.

Still interested in a yellow thermapen.  I just hope it is as accurate as the pink or red one.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 08:58:16 PM »
It *IS* possible to get a bad probe. It is not likely - but it can happen. I would consult with MAK - once you have enough in notes to help diagnose or narrow down the issue.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 09:10:38 PM »
..or get a thermapen..the red one is the fastest..it's kinda pricey but worth it.
Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I'm older than Pam and I use the orange thermapen because it is faster than the red one she uses.
just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Jaxon: Meat thermometer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »
Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I'm older than Pam and I use the orange thermapen because it is faster than the red one she uses.
just sayin'...
Now Jaxon..I don't wanna fight right before Christmas, but your wrong and I had to send my pink one back because the case was cracked..they fixed it, but, I have a red body on it now..seems they don't make the pink any more..bummer for me, but I noticed how much faster ther red one is..amazing..just sayin  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
Yep, I almost never use the MAK probes. I’m all about Thermoworks products, especially the Thermapen.  Only time I use the MAK probes is for loooong unmanned cooks where I need the Pellet Boss to drop the temp when my internal temp is at my desired temp and hold the meat until I return to the cooker (a very handy feature when needed!).

Does it really do that?  How do you set the internal temp vs grill temp?

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Jaxon: Meat thermometer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 06:21:54 PM »
Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

just sayin'...
Now Jaxon..I don't wanna fight right before Christmas, but your wrong and I had to send my pink one back because the case was cracked..they fixed it, but, I have a red body on it now..seems they don't make the pink any more..bummer for me, but I noticed how much faster ther red one is..amazing..just sayin  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Pam you & Jaxon better put on your goggles because my green one will leave you two in the dust ;D ;D ;D ;D I had a cop stop by my house & ticket my unit for speeding......Green is the way to go ;) ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Jaxon: Meat thermometer
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »
Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

just sayin'...

Pam you & Jaxon better put on your goggles because my green one will leave you two in the dust ;D ;D ;D ;D I had a cop stop by my house & ticket my unit for speeding......Green is the way to go ;) ;)

I agree with Jaxon on the orange, I also got a ticket but it was for disturbing the peace. Something about it breaking the sound barrier.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.