Author Topic: Cookshack FEC100  (Read 1534 times)

Offline zueth

Cookshack FEC100
« Reply #-1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:52:43 PM »
Anybody have any experience with this pellet grill? Reviews I have found are positive  I found one for sale in CL for a really good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Cookshack FEC100
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:02 PM »
History of mixed results.......They have faded from being popular in recent years. I have read reviews and read owners comments on several forums - of reliability issues. As well, the support for them has been ..."spotty".

There may be reasons this one is for sale - beyond what is posted in a CL ad. Buyer beware.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 03:21:52 AM »
I have one of the very early models when they were made by Mr Fast Eddy himself that has been a pretty good cooker. Mine was made in 1992 and is still working fine although I do have to work on it once in a while. Fast Eddy at this time had a deal with Traeger to use all their parts and running gear so it is easy to get parts for my cooker. He sold his rights to Cookshack and they continue to make this fine cooker and have made some great changes to them over the years and if it was me, I would go to their forum to get any information on the one on Craigs list. The controllers have been changed a couple of times and I would want to know the year of the cooker to see if it had the better controller on it. The pellet delivery system has been changed as well and this is another item I would want to know about. These are fine cookers and used in BBQ Competition over the years and have probably won as many contest as any other cooker out there. They are also BOH approved and can be used in about any commercial setting. They do need to be kept clean or there is a danger of fire in a commercial setting but many restaurants are still using them and like them. Great capacity, all Stainless Steel, low operating expense, dependable, great company to deal with, and a reasonable purchase price as compared to most BOH approved cookers out there. They are have a big brother and it is the FEC 120 that is also a great commercial cooker. The firepot is on the outside on this cooker and is less likely for any fire danger. Neither of them pose any fire threat if you do keep them clean. The value of the cooker would depend on the year of origin so be great if you could find that out. Not really much that can go wrong with them as they are dirt simple and being SS will last a long time. Mine is 26 years old and still gives me good service.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »
I agree with Old Dave's comments pretty much.  My competition cooking buddy owns one and I've used it several times for my entries.  Excellent, well controlled cooker that maximizes pellet efficiency and has a long service life.  If you have specific questions, please PM me.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN