Author Topic: My first go at Pastrami  (Read 1663 times)

Offline M in MAK

• MAK Grills
My first go at Pastrami
« Reply #-1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »
I have never cooked it before  :o So I knew i needed to try it! I got some corned beef on sale at the local grocers. Soaked it in water for an hour to try and reduce the salt content. Then threw it on the smoker! 2 hrs. on smoke then I bumped it up to 250 until the IT was 165.

I was happy with the result but I will definitely change some things for my next Pastrami cook. I think I will soak for longer and change the water more frequently to get the salt content further down. I also want to smoke for a longer period of time to try and get a more pronounced smoke flavor. Any other suggestions?? And finally, this one is key i think, I need to invest in a new knife!!  :P
MAK 2 Star #1058
www.makgrills.com

Offline Pappymn

My first go at Pastrami
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:53:37 PM »
Wonder if 165 was the right temp. I did a CB last week that I took to 195 with some foil love too. 

The real talent will chime in shortly I'm sure.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Sam3

Re: My first go at Pastrami
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 01:00:31 PM »
Wonder if 165 was the right temp. I did a CB last week that I took to 195 with some foil love too. 

The real talent will chime in shortly I'm sure.

I'm a hack.... :'(  ;D

I soaked mine for 24 hrs, changed the water a few time and took the Pastrami to 165. Pulled, wrapped in 2 sheets of foil and left on the counter until it was cool to the touch.
Refrigerated that overnight and sliced the next day. I don't think I would do anything different the next time. Ok, maybe cut back on the coriander and bit. But that's all.
I did mine on the WSM with a chunk of apple. I didn't have my MAK yet, but I'll use the AMZNPS tube when I do it next time on the MAK.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »

Looks like you cut it with the grain rather than against it.    That will make the final product a bit chewier.

Otherwise, I think you are off to a good start!

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
My first go at Pastrami
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
That looks ridiculously good :P

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 01:07:22 PM »
Looks great!! I wonder if it would have sliced easier if you sliced across the grain.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »

Looks like you cut it with the grain rather than against it.    That will make the final product a bit chewier.

that's what I noticed also. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline M in MAK

• MAK Grills
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »
I soaked mine for 24 hrs, changed the water a few time and took the Pastrami to 165. Pulled, wrapped in 2 sheets of foil and left on the counter until it was cool to the touch.
Refrigerated that overnight and sliced the next day. I don't think I would do anything different the next time. Ok, maybe cut back on the coriander and bit. But that's all.
I did mine on the WSM with a chunk of apple. I didn't have my MAK yet, but I'll use the AMZNPS tube when I do it next time on the MAK.
I might do 24 hrs. It was way too salty. Also think I will refrigerate for a day, seems to set in smoke better and i missed that smokey flavor. Thanks for the tips!!

I got grief immediatley from MAK Daddy for that also  :P I will cut against the grain from now on, for It was noticeably chewier.  :'( lol
MAK 2 Star #1058
www.makgrills.com

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:34:25 PM »

Sounds like a plan!
You can also reheat it in a steamer to drive a little more moisture in..

And here is a good entry level slicer.  Keymaster got one from Cosco, but Amazon carries it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Montana-Knife-2-Piece-Carving-Set/dp/B001DFTF6G/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1363887199&sr=1-5

Offline M in MAK

• MAK Grills
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »

Sounds like a plan!

And here is a good entry level slicer.  Keymaster got one from Cosco, but Amazon carries it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Montana-Knife-2-Piece-Carving-Set/dp/B001DFTF6G/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1363887199&sr=1-5
Thank you for the link Squirt! 8) I'll be picking one up tonight. So excited to finally have a nice carving knife.
MAK 2 Star #1058
www.makgrills.com

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Re: My first go at Pastrami
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »

Sounds like a plan!

Thank you for the link Squirt! 8) I'll be picking one up tonight. So excited to finally have a nice carving knife.
  Costco only sells those knives at their business center stores. Just sayin so you dont waste a trip and walk every isle in frustration :)

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »
That looks great, I have got to try some pastrami.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline KyNola

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:20 AM »
Nice job M!  Here are a couple things you might try next time.  Apply the pastrami rub the night before, wrap the meat in plastic wrap and into the frig overnight.  Your IT of 160-165 is spot on.  After the smoking/cooking session, wrap the pastrami in a piece of tin foil and allow to lay on the counter until able to handle.  Unwrap the meat but save the foil as you will need it again.  Wrap the pastrami in plastic wrap and then the foil you saved and place in the frig for a day.  Two, if you can wait that long.  Thinly slice AGAINST the grain ;D and you have something like this.

This is not my original recipe but some tips I picked up on a different forum.  I have made pastrami several times and it works for me.  I also use a commercial pastrami rub, Uncle Louie's Pastrami Rub available at Great American Spice Company because I am lazy and it tastes great but you can certainly make your own.