Author Topic: MAK 1 Star General feedback  (Read 3072 times)

Offline BayBBQr

MAK 1 Star General feedback
« Reply #-1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:12:36 AM »
As background, I was a life-long stick burner and gasser.  Then my neighbor bought a “T” pellet grill at Costco. Great tasting food, but he started having issues soon after he purchased the grill.  Of course I needed to one-up him, so I started an extensive research process.  All results seemed to point to MAK for my needs.

I ordered a One Star General in the spring of ’12 and it’s been in use at least weekly since.  No problems and more than 100 perfect meals to date.  It’s nearly impossible to ruin a meal with this grill, but more importantly it adds an exquisite taste to everything.  Your guests, even those not “into” grilling, will rave.

In terms of quality manufacturing, nothing compares.  It seems to weigh nearly twice as much as the Costco bargain brand, all the seams fit, the closures are tight, the screws all align and it has the best computer-based cooking controller on the market. 

I had an opportunity to visit the business in Oregon last year and saw the precision manufacturing and assembly process first hand.  There are no short cuts, virtually all components are assembled by hand, and there are numerous quality control steps at every station. 

The MAK grill is not a “use it 4-5 years and replace it” investment.  Simply stated, while these units may cost more than a lesser “bargain brand”, I expect it will be the last grill I’ll ever need to buy -- well worth it!

Dave – Sausalito, CA

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: MAK 1 Star General feedback
« on: October 10, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
Thanks for popping in Dave, and greetings from North Texas.  Make sure to go to the new members introductions section and say hello.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:26:25 AM »

Welcome!

I have the MAK 1 Star serial #0 - the pre-production test model - and it still runs like a champ.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »
Dave,

First, welcome to the forum. Be sure to introduce yourself in the "New Member" area.

What a great testimonial!

We also researched for darn near a year before we got one. Even then, it wasn't until I actually got it, saw the construction and used it a few times that it became apparent exactly why the price point is where it is. With a MAK, you truly get what you pay for.

Thanks for sharing, and be sure to share some of those cooks with us. :)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :)

I've owned a MAK 2 Star for years now and echo your sentiments 100%!!  ;D  8)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »
I like the 1 star so much I bought 3 of them.  no other pellet grill smokes more in my opinion than the mak 1 star.  I have owned traeger, green mountain, Memphis pro (early one) and 4 mak grills.  I do like the Memphis advantage and the yoder ys480 if I ever come into a lot of money.  both of those grills also smoke a lot.  I am liken the rec tec.  I love the barrel design and the great controller on it.  opps, need more espresso.   :D
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pappymn

MAK 1 Star General feedback
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Mak 2 star owner here. I too visited Mak HQ......great people and precision
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 07:47:36 PM »
I have not completed the hajj to MAK HQ but I hope to some day :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline M in MAK

• MAK Grills
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »
As background, I was a life-long stick burner and gasser.  Then my neighbor bought a “T” pellet grill at Costco. Great tasting food, but he started having issues soon after he purchased the grill.  Of course I needed to one-up him, so I started an extensive research process.  All results seemed to point to MAK for my needs.

I ordered a One Star General in the spring of ’12 and it’s been in use at least weekly since.  No problems and more than 100 perfect meals to date.  It’s nearly impossible to ruin a meal with this grill, but more importantly it adds an exquisite taste to everything.  Your guests, even those not “into” grilling, will rave.

In terms of quality manufacturing, nothing compares.  It seems to weigh nearly twice as much as the Costco bargain brand, all the seams fit, the closures are tight, the screws all align and it has the best computer-based cooking controller on the market. 

I had an opportunity to visit the business in Oregon last year and saw the precision manufacturing and assembly process first hand.  There are no short cuts, virtually all components are assembled by hand, and there are numerous quality control steps at every station. 

The MAK grill is not a “use it 4-5 years and replace it” investment.  Simply stated, while these units may cost more than a lesser “bargain brand”, I expect it will be the last grill I’ll ever need to buy -- well worth it!

Dave – Sausalito, CA

This is exactly why we don't take shortcuts. Thank you for the kind words Dave.
-Matt
MAK 2 Star #1058
www.makgrills.com

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 12:36:31 PM »
Love the one star.   Great machine and customer service is awesome. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"