Author Topic: First PBC butt...  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Ka Honu

First PBC butt...
« Reply #-1 on: January 10, 2014, 02:20:05 AM »
I've always been a traditional low & slow 225° guy for pulled pork but thought it was time to push (pull?) the envelope and give the PBC a chance.  I was only confident enough to cook one (9.84 pound) butt instead of the usual two but you gotta start somewhere.

Injected with Carolina Treet and rubbed with Meathead's Memphis Dust (I had a bunch on hand and was too lazy to mix a new batch of Jan's).  Wrapped and stored in the fridge for 48 hours (weather delay), added more rub, and set it on the grill (with a hickory chunk added to the charcoal for added flavor).  Since it's boneless I didn't want to risk the hooks (although I really like the sight of meat "flying" in the PBC).

Foiled with some apple juice at 160° (3 hours 15 minutes) and opened the foil at 180° to "recrisp" the bark.

Muebe had a good suggestion to finish in a 450° oven for the bark but I didn't want to dirty more dishes (more of that "lazy" thing and SWMBO's on the mainland so I have to clean up my own mess).

Total time was about 6.5 hours, took it off heat at 195° (just like Noah tells us to), put it in FTC for a while, and pulled…

Ended up with 6.5 pounds of moist, easily pulled, great tasting product with excellent texture. Unfortunately it just didn't have the smoky taste I like in my pulled pork. Also, I prefer the taste using Jan's Rub - Meathead's is great for ribs but too mild for pulled pork. It was a good cook but all things being equal, it looks like it's back to the smoker(s) for me and my butts (and no, Tommy, I don't know if it's BBQ or not).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: First PBC butt...
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:28:30 AM »
Nice looking pork Turtle.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:59:47 AM »
Great looking pulled pork Turtle!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 06:28:21 AM »
I wonder if you used an a-maze-tube if you would have had more of the smoky taste you like. I don't have a PBC so I can't speak to it's ability, but that butt does look really nice.
Love to cook and eat

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 07:12:56 AM »
I have yet to make a butt in my PBC but Turtle I have to say your butt looks really nice! :P

Maybe put a small chunk of Hickory(dry) on the charcoal next time to add some smokey flavor ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
First PBC butt...
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 07:29:10 AM »
Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 07:38:19 AM »
muebe - I had a pretty good sized chunk of hickory on the charcoal but it didn't seem to be enough.

RAD - Using the A-Maze-N smoker tube might be a "work-around" but I wonder how long it would burn (compared to the 4-5 hours of smoke I typically apply in other cookers).  It also takes up a fair amount of grill space since it won't fit flush to the curved side of the barrel. Hmmm - I could wire it to the hooks and suspend it from the rebar if I figure out a way to keep the ashes from dripping on the meat below it.

Don't get me wrong - this pork is excellent. I probably will use it more in "other" recipes rather than serving it "straight up" where the smokiness (or, more accurately, its lack) is more likely to be noticed.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »
I tried a mini-split one time in my PBC and the coals burn too hot in this style of drum and you do not get long lasting smoke. IMHO, the PBC is a power cooker and is not a smoker like the UDS type.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 08:20:38 AM »
muebe - I had a pretty good sized chunk of hickory on the charcoal but it didn't seem to be enough.

RAD - Using the A-Maze-N smoker tube might be a "work-around" but I wonder how long it would burn (compared to the 4-5 hours of smoke I typically apply in other cookers).  It also takes up a fair amount of grill space since it won't fit flush to the curved side of the barrel. Hmmm - I could wire it to the hooks and suspend it from the rebar if I figure out a way to keep the ashes from dripping on the meat below it.

Don't get me wrong - this pork is excellent. I probably will use it more in "other" recipes rather than serving it "straight up" where the smokiness (or, more accurately, its lack) is more likely to be noticed.

I special ordered a 6" tube and it works in everything I cook in. I knew the 12" and 18"ers were too big for what I wanted. Just sayin. Pam   ☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »

It makes sense that it wouldn't be as smoky, even with a chunk of wood. The higher the temperature - the sooner the outside layer of meat reaches 140° - the sooner smoke absorption stops.

At 140° myoglobin denatures and the meat cells tighten and wall up stopping any transfer of water through the membrane (osmosis). Without this transfer smoke particulates and nitric acid cannot penetrate further stopping smoke penetration and smoke ring development.

Don't take this as a knock against the PBC; it's not. It's just an explanation of what's going on with a thick cut of meat and smoke.

I bet if you played around with it and started out with a small amount of charcoal and a chunk or two of wood to do a hot smoke (165° - 185°) for the first hour or two, then added the recommended amount of charcoal to bring it up to the normal cooking temp, you'd get a lot better smoke penetration, and a noticeable smoke ring

If I had a PBC I'd experiment to see how many coals it takes to get a pit temp of 165° - 185° (Hot smoke temps).  Just a thought. :)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 10:55:35 AM »
Nobody will say that this is your first time .you smoked it like a pro. ;)
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »
You can send it here if it isn't up to your liking.  Looks good to me.
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline RAD

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »

If you use the hooks to suspend it, why not place the hooks and A-Maze-N smoker under the meat? You could suspend it from the grate the meat is on vice the rebar.

From owensbbq.com
6" Tube Smoker produces smoke for up to 2 hours
12" Tube Smoker produces smoke for up to 4 hours
18" Tube Smoker produces smoke for up to 6 hours

I ordered the 6" the other day.
Love to cook and eat

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 05:12:46 PM »

OH heck send me the PCB for a week I'll mod it so ones built in  ;)

Great looking butt Big Guy!   ;D ;D ;D
If you use the hooks to suspend it, why not place the hooks and A-Maze-N smoker under the meat? You could suspend it from the grate the meat is on vice the rebar.

From owensbbq.com
6" Tube Smoker produces smoke for up to 2 hours
12" Tube Smoker produces smoke for up to 4 hours
18" Tube Smoker produces smoke for up to 6 hours

I ordered the 6" the other day.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »
Your pulled pork looks fantastic.

I'm a super big fan of Jan's also ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.