Author Topic: New Guy Smoke Question  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Tinzebra

New Guy Smoke Question
« Reply #-1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »
I will be using my PBC the first time tonight with a chicken.  I was originally going for ribs but it was suggested I start with a chicken and my thought was, when someone with the handle Smokeasaurus suggests your first smoke be a chicken, your first smoke should probably be a chicken.

But lets talk about my second smoke of the weekend --  ribs.  I want to use some apple wood chunks.  I have been reading various posts about the best way to add smoke and I have a question: do you only put wood into the coals inside of a can or aluminum foil if you are using chips or pellets, or do you do that with any size wood to keep it from burning too fast? 

I was planning on placing three chunks of the apple wood on the edges of the basket, but now I am wondering if I should use foil or a can to protect them from burning too quickly.

Offline hikerman

Re: New Guy Smoke Question
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »
Tinzebra I personally don't add too much wood as the charcoal does add plenty of smoke, but this is your cook so you should experiment to see what you prefer. I occasionally will add one or two chunks of wood right in basket. If you add pellets a great many will fall thru the basket unlit. Some folks have used  the Amazin' Smoker Tube with pellets. It's a great product.  Good luck on your cooks!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 01:54:15 PM »
Hikerman called it. I would probably go with one good sized chunk. Try to set it on the side of the basket where the meat will not be dripping on it.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline SPAM

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »
I place wood chunks on top of the unlit coals, then add the chimney of lit coals on top. Just my preferred method. As to how many, that's a personal preference type of thing. Good luck with your cooks. Sounds like your all set up for a great weekend.
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline amshepar

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 05:38:18 PM »
I typically use 3 large wood chunks. I don't do anything but throw them on top of the basket, It works out great.  Since the PBC doesn't run so hot I've had no problems with the wood chunks lasting a long time  .The good thing about ribs is that you'll be hanging them and it's easy to add more wood later too; just toss another chunk into the fire.  Maybe try 1 large chunk.  If you want more smoke, add another, and another. 

Words of advice...cut your slabs of ribs in half before hanging.  Sometimes long racks will end up with a charred rib or two closest to the bottom.  Also, try brushing your ribs with sauce with 20-30 minutes before and crack the lid just a bit.  You will get some amazing char/glaze on the ribs.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 05:40:18 PM »
My choice is to use my smoker when I want to add wood smoke of various types as I cook low and slow. I love my PBC both for the faster cooking, the almost "set it and forget it", and the unique flavor of charcoal combined with the "fog" created as the fat drips on the hot coals. But, that's me.

If I was just using the PBC - I'd likely go with Spam's method or the advice of The Smoke (as you say - can't go wrong there...  ;) ;D)

Whatever you decide to do, please let us know how it comes out - I come here to learn, and look forward to learning from your experiments!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline viscera912

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 08:14:10 PM »
i do like most other folk have already mentioned.  i usually create a lower spot in the coal and put the chunk in there in various places in basket but always away from drips.  i also add a smoke bomb for fun :)