Author Topic: Picked up a 3 lb flat on impulse, first brisket, been in barrel since about 1am  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Salted and coated with oil, big bad beef rub, pulled it at 151 and wrapped it tight in foil with a little liquid. I'm at 2 hours, 50 minute right now and 196°. Pretty fast. Going faux cambro at 203° then I'm going to bed and just leaving it there until I get back up. Lunch!
Any idea what to expect from a flat? Never done a brisket. Hear flats can get tough and dry. I hope not.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline viscera912

personally i prefer points as i like chopped brisket but the flat is great for slices!  how did it turn out ?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
My best tasting briskest have been full packers or points.

Never had much luck with small flats.

Hope yours turns out good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Points and packers great on bread or crackers...Flats....make great corned beef and pastrami! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
If you wrapped it with some liquid, this should help keep the flat moist.  A good brisket mop goes a long way to keeping it moist.  Watching to see how it turns out.  When you finally pull the meat, save the aus jus.  Put it in a pot and reduce it till the flavors intensify.  Use it to dip or "paint" some on each sliced piece.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Keeping an eye out, good luck ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
I like to cut the point into pieces about an inch square. Freeze them in small zip locks and put in the freezer at work. Then every few days are so I can take some out and heat them up for lunch or snacks. Use different sauces as well.
With the flat I like to slice a few for dinner and run the rest through a slicer super thin. Makes great sandwiches.
 Hope yours turns out. It takes practice and learning "your" cooker. Its all worth it that first time you nail it!

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Hub

If you wrapped it with some liquid, this should help keep the flat moist.  A good brisket mop goes a long way to keeping it moist.  Watching to see how it turns out.  When you finally pull the meat, save the aus jus.  Put it in a pot and reduce it till the flavors intensify.  Use it to dip or "paint" some on each sliced piece.

Art

Flats cooked by themselves sometimes turn out dry, but not always.  Art's suggestion is a great one  ;D

I think you're going to have some good eats!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN