Author Topic: Different cookers  (Read 3880 times)

Offline tn_5568

Different cookers
« Reply #-1 on: May 30, 2015, 10:20:25 AM »
With my pbc all of my smoking is done with it instead of my green mountain pellet grill. Seems like a waste to have that pellet grill around for burgers and brats. Thinking about selling it and getting a weber 26" kettle. What's everybody else using along with their pbc's?  I like the thought of one fuel for all my cookers. More then once I have had to shut the pellet grill down mid cook and take it all apart to clean out the auger tube just to finish some hamburgers. This is frustrating to say the least for a 700$ grill. I think I like the simplicity of charcoal. Once lit there are no augurs or circuit boards to go out. Thoughts?

Offline tn_5568

Re: Different cookers
« on: May 30, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »
I want to add that I am not trying to put down the green mountains. I have cooked some excellent meals on them. There is just a lot of things in them that can act up or go out completely after time same with all pellet grills. I think I would enjoy simplifying it up a bit with less bells and whistles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 10:49:13 AM »
Sorry you are having problems with your pellet grill.

I use my pellet grill for overnight cooks like butts. Truly set it and forget it.

Burger and brat cooks because the Memphis can get to over 600F

And I always make ribs in mine because they come out perfect everytime and I have my process down to a science.

In other words you might find your pellet grill handy still.

But you should not have to clean your auger constantly. Could be a moisture problem with the pellets?

A Weber kettle is a great idea IMHO.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 10:52:25 AM »
If you are grilling for lets say a family of four and don't need the real estate of a 26" Kettle, look at the Portable Kitchen. It will last longer than a kettle and the good folk here that has them love them to death. 1/4 thick aluminum body and you can order any replacement part for them......cry once I always say........

http://www.pkgrills.com/
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
I really haven't had tons of problems with the pellet. I keep it covered but last night there was a lot of dust in the bottom of the hopper. Had tons of rain and humidity so I am sure it was because of that. Wasn't really the grills fault but it made me fuming mad to take it all apart just for 6 burgers.  I was thinking about the weber 26 because of the size. My two little boys are already eating tons!  Plus I like the room to set up direct and indirect heat. Like not love the steaks off of the pellets. Think I could do better with indirect then extreme high heat off the coals. Still undecided. Ideally would keep the pellet and just add the weber but my wife is already complaining about my grills on the patio

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »
Mak and green mountain for overnights and ribs, pk for everything, wsm's because they smoke food like no one's business (my favorite smoker) and a few kettles because everyone should own a weber kettle.  I am getting my wife a new PBC because she like they way it cooks chicken and hamburgers.  I use to own one but sold it when I was thinning the herd.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 08:51:58 AM »
I have two 22inch Weber kettles, along with my PBC.  There have been times where all three have been fired up at once.  The 22 inch kettle has lots of space, and can be set up for indirect grilling.  I use mine all the time, cook everything on it all the time.  The PBC is mainly ribs and pork butt, with the occasional roasted chicken.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »
I was thinking about the 22 too. Lost of cost difference between 22 and 26". I have a portable 18 that's fine for the camper but feel I need a little more space at home

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »
If you can swing the 26 go for it. You won't believe the capacity it has over the 22 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 03:41:15 PM »
Much difference in amount of charcoal between the 2?  I would assume I could still have a small pile for direct heat but would just have a little lower temp at the opposite edge. Would just hate to get it and have to use a lot of fuel for just some burgers and brats

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »
Get the 26. You can always pile the coals and use as much or as little as you need. You never know when you'll need the extra cooking space.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
Get the 26. You can always pile the coals and use as much or as little as you need. You never know when you'll need the extra cooking space.

The 26 inch comes with Weber charcoal baskets. You can use those to grill a couple of steaks just like you would in a 22....same amount of charcoal used, yet you have the real estate when the Bubbas come over.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »

The 26 inch comes with Weber charcoal baskets. You can use those to grill a couple of steaks just like you would in a 22....same amount of charcoal used, yet you have the real estate when the Bubbas come over.............
Looking back (hindsight is ALWAYS 20-20  ::) ) I would have chosen the 26". Don't get me wrong, I love my Performer, but I do have to pull out another grill or two when we have the bigger softball parties. It would be easy to use the lesser amount of charcoal - using only a portion of the grate - when cooking a couple burgers and brats. But, it's tough to add space when you need it.

And, if you want even more space, maybe you need this one... http://www.weber.com/grills/series/ranch-kettle/ranch-kettle  :o :o :o

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »
Sorry you are having problems with your pellet grill.

I use my pellet grill for overnight cooks like butts. Truly set it and forget it.

Burger and brat cooks because the Memphis can get to over 600F

And I always make ribs in mine because they come out perfect everytime and I have my process down to a science.

In other words you might find your pellet grill handy still.

But you should not have to clean your auger constantly. Could be a moisture problem with the pellets?

A Weber kettle is a great idea IMHO.

I use my pellet cookers probably 80% of the time.  The PBC is wonderful and I like it for friends and family easy cooks of chicken and ribs.  I also use my Weber Performer and my little gasser, too.  They all have a "niche".  However, its hands-down pellet cooker for the most versatile and reliable.  Over about eight years of cooking on pellets I've had only one pellet jam and one runaway fire.  Both were my fault, not the machine's.  Sorry your Green Mountain didn't work out. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »
Well I am keeping the pellet grill and just picked up a weber 22" premium. Would of liked the bigger one but found the 22 on Craigslist new in the box unopened for 90. They retail for 150 so I just couldn't pass it up