Author Topic: PBC Target Cooking Temp  (Read 1278 times)

Offline sws6530

PBC Target Cooking Temp
« Reply #-1 on: June 04, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »
I know the PBC is known as the set-it-and-forget-it cooker, and that it differs from a true smoker.  I've seen that the PBC should run between 275-310F...above the target smoking range of 225-250F (spare ribs).  So...what are the cook consequences if my PBC runs around 225-235F (such as on my last rib cook)?  Does the PBC configuration work best at the higher temperature range?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: PBC Target Cooking Temp
« on: June 05, 2015, 12:23:07 AM »
There are no consequences in my opinion.

The cooking time will increase of course.

I think the higher temp is important when cooking chicken.

275F to 325F is ideal. 350F to 400F for chicken will work best.

Remember the PBC is not really a smoker. It is a power cooker and does it very well too.

Just get your lighting procedure down and experiment as Bigg would say.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »
The only consequence that you might have is not having dinner ready when you planned. That is if you know for sure that your temps are in fact between 225 and 250. Those temps are ideal for smoking and I try to be in that zone using my smoker, but it will take more time. On really long cooks like briskets or large pork butts you have to ensure that your charcoal will hold up. By that I mean after 8 hours your charcoal will probably be depleted. There are a lot of folks on this forum that have a lot of experience with the PBC and cook at all sorts of temps using different charcoals and PBC configurations. Some of the people like,  Smokeasauras, Muebe and 1BIGG_ER are a few of the many experienced PBC users on the site who are always available to lean on for information and ideas.  :)  :)
CM 
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 10:27:56 AM »
I like PBCing my ribs at a lower temp. You just have to become one with your PBC to be able to lock it at traditional BBQ temp, the consequences are good food.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline sws6530

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  I will put this info in my BBQ head and keep cooking.  Looking forward to the next cook with the help gathered from this forum.  Thanks, again.