Author Topic: Position of vent  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
Position of vent
« Reply #-1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »
Is the Pit Barrel Cooker vent pre-set to the "Sea Level up to 2,000 ft" setting (1/4 open) at the factory?

I live about 30' above sea level, and the vent looked just like the illustration in the instructions when it arrived, so it was not changed. Measured at the widest point, the gap is 5/16". The coals are remaining lit, and the internal temp is above 200, but there are still plenty of unburned coals after 4 hours, and I'm not getting cook times as short as the videos. For example:

Chicken: Video says 2hrs, but mine took 3hrs (the last 30 minutes being in the oven at 300 degrees). The taste was awesome, though!

Ribs: Video says 3.5-4.5hrs, but mine still hadn't pulled from the bone after 5hrs. They were cooked and edible, but not what they should be.

One thing I haven't tried, is letting the lit coals sit an additional 20 minutes after adding them to the Pit Barrel (with the lid off). I read that here after my last cook. That's what I'll try next, unless someone has better advice.

Bart
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Position of vent
« on: June 10, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »
My understanding when I bought my PBC was they set the vent for "my" altitude. And yes, I let the coals burn for at least 20 minutes before starting my cook. I use the lighter fluid method - never had a bad taste.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline s10ny

Position of vent
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »
I have had the same problem as you Bart57266. I have done two cooks with my PBC, both chicken, and both have taken 3 hours with some serious lid cracking during the 3rd hour. I lit 40 coals in my chimney, waited 15 minutes, then dumped the chimney onto the roughly 3/4 full basket and immediately hung the chicken and closed the lid.  This was how I interpreted the directions that came with the cooker, but I'm pretty convinced that's wrong.

This weekend I'll be trying a pork shoulder and I'm definitely going to give the coals 20 minutes with the lid off before hanging the meat. Based on what I have read on this forum I think this is absolutely necessary to get things up to an initial temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 10:17:17 PM »
Thanks DRHolly. I'm definitely trying the 20-minute burn next time.

S10ny, let me know how it works for you, and I'll do the same here in this thread.

Bart

Weber Kettle Grill

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:13:41 PM »
I am a pretty simple guy. When I bought my PBC they only had one way to light the charcoal - fill the basket level with Kingsford Blue, squirt with Kingsford lighter fluid, light, let them burn for 20 minutes. I have never felt the need to change this method - all of my cooks work as expected and taste delicious. I know some folks are sensitive to lighter fluid - but I have never tasted it and it works so well for me.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:38:45 PM »
I am a pretty simple guy. When I bought my PBC they only had one way to light the charcoal - fill the basket level with Kingsford Blue, squirt with Kingsford lighter fluid, light, let them burn for 20 minutes. I have never felt the need to change this method - all of my cooks work as expected and taste delicious. I know some folks are sensitive to lighter fluid - but I have never tasted it and it works so well for me.

Doc is very wise!

I say that when you first start cooking with the PBC the charcoal lighting method using fluid is the best way. Once you get a few cooks under your belt then move onto the charcoal starter.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:59:49 PM »
muebe is right - once you get it dialed in - it is time to experiment.  I've never felt the need, but if you want to try some things - go for it. I just suggest getting the basics right first. You will find folks here that will help you conserve your charcoal. I have to admit, I think it is cheap enough that I don't worry. But you will find some very good ideas to save it - the beauty of this forum!

Enjoy!
Member #

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 03:04:31 AM »
I use the basket, I'm about under 300' above sea level and I left the vent as it came.  I use the chimney 10-15 minutes then dump and let it catch for another 10 minutes or so.  I think it also helps clear the smoke after I dump. 

For the chicken, I usually leave one bar out and it takes about 90 minutes.  Depending on my time table on Ribs I sometimes cork two holes and make the temp lower for a slower longer cook (5hrs or so), but other times I just let it ride with both rebars in and it takes about 3.5-4 hours.  Just my experience, and it has worked well for me.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 07:40:07 AM »
Bart, do not hang food immediately after dumping the lit coals in the basket. Especially when cooking Chicken.
Dump the coals and leave the PBC uncovered for about 10 minutes.
And I go a step further and wait another 10 minutes after I put the lid on. Then I  start cooking.
Chicken has more drippings, if you start with low PBC temps, the drippings will sure cause the coals to cool off significantly.
For Chicken you want to hang the bird when PBC registers close to 400 degrees (or hotter).
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 09:55:08 AM »
I have tried the chimney starter method and it works fine. I just get a kick out of using lighter fluid.....just seems easier........just sayin........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
My initial problem with lighter fluid was the result of not letting the briquettes get completely ignited. I only waited until they were halfway ashed, then hung the chicken and put the lid on. Lesson learned!

On my next two cooks, even though the chimney was used and I let the briquettes get good and ashed (flames were coming out the top), I was simply dumping them on top of the unlit briquettes, then immediately hanging the meat and adding the lid. According to what you're all teaching me, this is still way too soon (for the meat and lid). Second lesson learned!

The next cook will include a 20 minute hold, lid off, after dumping lit briquettes on top of cold ones. If there are still any problems, I'll try splitting that 20 minutes into 10 with the lid off, 10 with it on. Either way, the meat will only be added after the 20 minute hold.

I'll get there!

Weber Kettle Grill

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 11:20:26 PM »
Cooked again tonight, and made sure to let the chimney-started briquettes burn 20 minutes (with lid open) after being dumped on the charcoal basket. Wow, did they get hot! See the pic, below. What a thorough heat-up!

We were just cooking pizza, not doing a long cook with hanging meat, so they lasted long enough. After two hours, though, the PBC was slowly falling down through 300 degrees.

I'm concerned this procedure ignites too many briquettes, too fast, for a cook of several hours - that they would be mostly spent after only 2-3 hours. Should I be concerned, and try the 10-minutes-lid-off / 10-minutes-lid-on method next time?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:04:29 PM by Bart57266 »

Weber Kettle Grill

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »
Only thing I would add/think of is that the fats from the meat dripping on the coals would slow how quick they burned, but I would try the 10 minutes lid off ten minutes on, and see how that works for you.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline s10ny

Position of vent
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »
I tested the 20 minute ignition this weekend too with some baby back ribs. I found that things were VERY hot when I was ready to hang the ribs, but went ahead anyway. The end result after 3 and a half hours was great. However the bone ends quickly turned brown/black during the first hour of the cook which makes me think that the temp was higher than desirable. Unfortunately my Maverick hasn't arrived yet so I didn't get any good temp readings, but I will try 10-lid-off 10-lid-on next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 04:02:23 PM »
Thanks, guys. I agree with trying the 10-10 method, as it will give the coals a good start (without letting them get too hot), plus get the PBC up to temp and ready for the meat.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:20:08 PM by Bart57266 »

Weber Kettle Grill