Author Topic: Brisket tough  (Read 1929 times)

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
Brisket tough
« Reply #-1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:56:48 PM »
I will be cooking a brisket point tomorrow. Its almost four pounds. How long do you guys think it will take to cook in the PBC? I know that butts usually take me about an hour a pound, but ive only done butts that were at least seven pounds. Im not quite sure how long it will be to cook a smaller piece of meat. Im assuming less time, but maybe it just takes five or more hours for briskets to get the "buttah" stage.

Any advise would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:52:27 PM by sb2_7 »
I'm in love with food

PBC
Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline Chief Mac

Re: Time to cook Brisket Point
« on: June 13, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »
sb2_7
I believe you answered your own question. " When it is done it is done". When you can take a a sharp pointed instrument or tooth pick and push it into the brisket and pull it out with no resistance I would call it done. Or when "briskets to get the buttah stage", as per your quote, it would rest it 20 -30 minutes more and start carving.
Believe me I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but if I would give you a cooking time I would probably be 99.9 % wrong.  ???  :) :)
Keep Cook'n
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
Re: Time to cook Brisket Point
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 05:07:14 PM »
I have it going now. Im having guests over and was wanting to make sure it wasnt two hours later that we were eating. I decided to roll the dice and go with one hour per pound. Hopefully im close!
I'm in love with food

PBC
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
Re: Brisket tough
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »
I changed the name of this thread because i have cooked the brisket point. I have a couple of questions. My brisket ended up being a little tough. it was moist, but some slices were hard to bite and pull. Is that because i did not let it cook long enough? I did not wrap it and took it to about 203. My temp probe was going iin nice and smooth, maybe not like warm butter though...The brisket got up to 203ish and then dropped to about 190 and then came back to around 203.

The outsides had dried out a bit. I wonder if i should have wrapped it to keep in the moisture on the outsides. Any suggestions are appreciated about how to keep the outsides from drying out and how to get the inside more tender. That answer may be as simple as cooking it longer.
I'm in love with food

PBC
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »
I would look at the methods that have been posted to keep the temps lower in your pit 1Bigg_ER has shown a method or two and there may be others. Lowering the temp to 225-275F will allow you to cook longer to reach the desired IT. It is the combination of temp range + time that allows the fats, collagens and other connective tissues to liquify, and tenderize the meat as well as help with the moisture. This temp. range will also prevent the exterior edges from becoming too dry.

As well - the probe test is you final authority on doneness. If it does not slide in and out like warm butter....give it more time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:25:39 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 10:52:22 PM »
I always wrap brisket no matter the cooker. And I do prefer cooking just the point section.
Pork can do PBC temps just fine BUT beef needs that low and slow. Yes I know folks have done tender PBC brisket before but I prefer going low and slow with beef.
To lower it, keep bottom vent as is but starting covering one rebar vent at a time and monitor the temp. Mine will run 215 - 235 with 2 rebar vents covered.

Try this next time, get it to 170, wrap it and finish it in a 200 degrees oven. get it to probe tender and wrap it in a towel, toss in a cooler for at least 2 hours (do not skip the cooler rest) Best brisket ever.

There's no short to tender brisket, just can't be rushed.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 11:55:13 PM »
I love my PBC, but I just like my brisket cooked on other cookers. One thing I do with brisket is after it gets around 150-160 degrees,I forget about temps and probe with a toothpick...in and out smooth, then take off, wrap in parchment and let it rest a while. All briskets cook differently and I betcha your next one will be real tender.  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32