Author Topic: Pork shoulder/butt  (Read 1742 times)

Offline tn_5568

Pork shoulder/butt
« Reply #-1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:40:03 PM »
What's everyone's preferred method for pulled pork?  I have done quite a few exactly like Noah's video and always thought they were great but now I want to do one with more bark. Think I seen on here where some like to leave it hung untill 200* and not wrap it. Is that correct?  Does it produce results as good or better then wrapped in foil with some kind of liquid?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Pork shoulder/butt
« on: June 14, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »
If you want more bark - do not foil. While foiling can help steam the meat - and hold more moisture, a pork butt does not suffer from potential dryness that can affect other meats. The fat distribution throughout a boston butt, as well as it's thickness ensures it will be moist without foiling.

If you want to hang it to 200F IT - I recommend that you place the grilling grate in before you hang it - in the event that it comes apart as it approaches 200F.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:55:19 PM »
I will be smoking a lot for the 4th so I need a lot of room. I may try to wrap it in butchers twine and hang it

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 10:13:17 PM »
I will be smoking a lot for the 4th so I need a lot of room. I may try to wrap it in butchers twine and hang it

I would not wrap it in anything until it reaches around 165F. You want it to adsorb all of that heat charcoal smoked flavor, and the butcher paper will prevent all of it from getting thru. And once the paper gets a film of fat from the pork on it...it becomes even less permeable to what you want. It hold in moisture ( less bark) and it is less able to pass the smoke thru....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 10:51:57 PM »
It wouldn't be paper. Just a twine holding it together. Wouldn't cover much of the meat at all

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:15:46 AM »

You can try using ham netting instead.

The trick to getting great bark is as follows...

Use a slather on the outside like molasses or mustard. I love the molasses

Slow and low. The longer the cook the more bark formation. One problem I see for the PBC is it normally cooks in the 300F or more range. 225F over 14 hours will get you some fantastic bark.

Avoid foiling for the most bark possible.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven