Author Topic: First Cook this Weekend Need Advice  (Read 3946 times)

Offline jjjonz

Re: First Cook this Weekend Need Advice
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »
I certainly didn't mean to come across that way and I do apologize. At my age [72] I sure don't smell,taste,hear,see or feel as good as I did when I was younger. I can still smell charcoal fluid burning and it sure brings back memories.That is what I was trying to get across that if you go by Noah's instructions stating out you will turn out some great food and might not get discouraged .Once you get the learning cure behind you then start trying new things. That's what makes this hoppy so much fun...you never stop learning and I learn new things on this site all the time.  ;D
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »
Heck...no apology needed. We are all friends and I find that it is helpful for me to remind myself occasionally that I am here to learn as many different methods from you and everyone else.
And we owe to the "young uns" to keep pointing to  experiment...make mistakes...learn and share as the tools most precious to all of us growing in knowledge.
So please take my comments as in the spirit I intend. To clarify that is - like me writing on a chalkboard to remind myself while reinforcing why we are all here :D.
Food...Fun..Fellowship....and sharing of experiences with respect.
You are an asset to us all. Keep up the good cooking and share a tip or two!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:00:40 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
My issue is that people will get the PBC and try using the charcoal basket method of lighting. The problem is that this method takes a little practice to get right. The lighter fluid method is much more reliable IMHO for someone brand new to the PBC.

So starting off with the more difficult method can make your very first cook disappointing giving the person the impression the PBC does not perform like advertised.

From my experience on here nearly every time there is a problem with the PBC it is a brand new owner that starts with the harder lighting method.

The truth is that if properly started the PBC is truly a set it and forget it cooker.

That is why I tend to steer new users to the lighter fluid method then after a couple cooks experiment with new lighting procedures.

There is nothing worse than getting a new cooker like the PBC, bragging to the family how great the food will be and then your first cook well.... Sucks.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »
I agree Mike that in general the  way for those that unfamiliar with the PBC is the simple lighter fluid method.

But we also need to have options that we can offer to folks that prefer them. And probablably with the caveat that the lighter fluid method is still our recommended method for getting a new owner started with a PBC
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »
I've had my PBC for at least two years and have used it many, many times.  All I ever use to start it is Kingsford fluid.  I've never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never had any food come out tasting "like lighter fluid".  I let the coals generate for 20 minutes just like the videos recommend.  It is almost too easy  ;D

FWIW most of the "creosote" or "starter fluid" tasting barbeque I've ever had came from over-smoking it, not from starter fluid properly used.  Or, maybe somebody who tried to start their fire with Texas Pete  ::)

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »
I've had my PBC for at least two years and have used it many, many times.  All I ever use to start it is Kingsford fluid.  I've never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never had any food come out tasting "like lighter fluid".  I let the coals generate for 20 minutes just like the videos recommend.  It is almost too easy  ;D

FWIW most of the "creosote" or "starter fluid" tasting barbeque I've ever had came from over-smoking it, not from starter fluid properly used.  Or, maybe somebody who tried to start their fire with Texas Pete  ::)

Hub

You have a package bound for your abode...I believe it is a lifetime supply of Texas Pete ( funny how it has the initials..."TP" isn't it? ;) ) And Prep H for the feeling of discomfort accompanying it..... ;D

I will say again - the things each of us taste - in terms of detail are likely different from individual to individual.  Many of us taste different nuances that we like or dis-like.

Were that not the case - the same guys would always win BBQ comps..... ;) And there would only be a small number of BBQ rubs on the market. :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 02:02:09 PM »
There is nothing worse than getting a new cooker like the PBC, bragging to the family how great the food will be and then your first cook well.... Sucks.

That's EXACTLY what happened to me! The whole family had been hyped, and I let them down.

On my first cook, the chicken had a lighter fluid taste - but ONLY because I failed to let the coals burn down as everyone above has described. I rushed the process, thought it would be okay to have half of the coals not even burning when hanging the meat, but it wasn't. Big mistake.

So if you're using lighter fluid, just be sure to do it right. Give those coals plenty of time to start. You'll know they're ready when the ones you wet with fluid are mostly ashed over.
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »
All this lighter fluid talk is making me reminisce about my childhood and those Lighter Fluid seasoned hamburgers at the relatives...

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline SPAM

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 03:27:43 AM »
Any updates on that first cook?
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC