Author Topic: Smoked beef roast  (Read 911 times)

Offline molyneux33

Smoked beef roast
« Reply #-1 on: August 22, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »
Have a question.  I want to smoke a beef roast that will be moist and delicious but I don't want to pull it.  I want to slice it.  what would be the best beef roast for this?  Also, internal temp so it doesn't just fall apart but is still tender?  Thanks.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoked beef roast
« on: August 22, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »
I would go to 120 internal, I know this is pretty rare but the roast will cook a bit more when it rests. Please let it rest tented looselywith foil, this way the juices willl re-ditribute before you slice. If you go to medium or above it will be too tough.

If you have a meat slicer, go thin and against the grain.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Smoked beef roast
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 07:00:06 PM »
I would go to 120 internal, I know this is pretty rare but the roast will cook a bit more when it rests. Please let it rest tented looselywith foil, this way the juices willl re-ditribute before you slice. If you go to medium or above it will be too tough.

If you have a meat slicer, go thin and against the grain.
What he said. I also sear the outside first to get a nice crust. Then continue the cook at a low temp, like 250 degrees until 120 IT. By cooking it at a low temp, the meat will be pink from edge to edge.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 04:16:36 AM »
I would suggest a top or bottom round beef roast and then cook it at about 300-325 degrees to an internal of about 125-130 degrees and this piece of meat will finish at medium rare or about 130-135 degrees. Then it must be sliced thin for the best results. 

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 04:48:54 PM »
I would suggest a top or bottom round beef roast and then cook it at about 300-325 degrees to an internal of about 125-130 degrees and this piece of meat will finish at medium rare or about 130-135 degrees. Then it must be sliced thin for the best results. 

I'm with Old Dave on this one.  I also do a Sirloin roast the same way.  Slicing very thinly, across the grain is the only way to go.  If you slice with the grain it'll be chewy (but still taste good).

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN