Author Topic: Cleaning the PBC  (Read 4832 times)

Offline PongGod

Cleaning the PBC
« Reply #-1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »
I know it's always been suggested that it is not necessary to clean the PBC after a cook, but would there be any harm in giving it a gentle water-only rinse (and dry) just to remove any remaining ash?
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Cleaning the PBC
« on: June 05, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
Well ash and moisture do not mix well. That combo will eat the metal right out of the barrel.

I do rinse my barrel out on occasion :o

But I also make sure that it is thoroughly dried. I am talking bone dry when I am done. And no problems so far ;)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
I don't own a PBC yet but I hear that rust could be a problem with moisture if not dried properly. If it were me I'd consider vacuuming the ash out with a shop-vac, I do this on my pellet grill, works great.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline lctrcbddha

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:33:09 PM »
So far I've just used a bench brush to sweep out residual ash, and likely will vacuum it occasionally.  My concern is humidity mixing with any ash I don't get out - so I personally don't intend to rinse it ever.

Offline PongGod

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
Good suggestions, everyone. Up to know I've been lugging my Dyson vacuum out there and using the extension attachment to do this, but it's a bit cumbersome. I recently bought a new Shark handheld vacuum so that should make it much easier. Oh, and I also need to remember to start lining the bottom of the PBC with foil, as others have suggested, to simplify the ash cleanup.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »
I just dump out the ash. Bang on the bottom like a drum to get almost all of it.

Since I have owned my PBC I have rinsed it out twice so it is not something I do on a regular basis.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline PongGod

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:24:42 PM »
I just dump out the ash. Bang on the bottom like a drum to get almost all of it.

Since I have owned my PBC I have rinsed it out twice so it is not something I do on a regular basis.

This is typically what I do as well, but I still get quite a bit of ash clinging to the drum in those recessed ridges. I'll just try the hand vac next time.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »

This is typically what I do as well, but I still get quite a bit of ash clinging to the drum in those recessed ridges. I'll just try the hand vac next time.

There will be ash floating around as the coals burn even if you start with a pristine drum. That small a amount of ash does not bother me too much ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 07:49:14 AM »
I have lined the bottom with a pc of hd foil and my PBC bottom is nice and clean......and no sandy trail down the inside of the barrel from pouring the ashes out..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline VMac

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 04:11:41 PM »
I would find it helpful if a  few people could post photos of what the inside of their PBC currently looks like. I took the advice here and basically never cleaned mine (I use foil under the charcoal, and just lift most of it out after every cook).  This weekend, I took at stab at an "annual" cleaning -- I managed to get a bit of the black tar buildup off the upper third, but then determined it was a waste of time. That buildup is fine, right???

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »
I would find it helpful if a  few people could post photos of what the inside of their PBC currently looks like. I took the advice here and basically never cleaned mine (I use foil under the charcoal, and just lift most of it out after every cook).  This weekend, I took at stab at an "annual" cleaning -- I managed to get a bit of the black tar buildup off the upper third, but then determined it was a waste of time. That buildup is fine, right???

To me it adds flavor. All three of my smokers look dirty and i say the dirtier the better. The inside of my PBC has charcoal powder on the sides as I always turn it upside down and bang the bottom to get rid of the ash. I would think most others look the same. I would not use water on them unless you can dry it right away as it will start to rust very fast.  There is really no need to clean them spotless.

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »
just spray it out on occasion with the hose and let it dry well
you can always use a pressure washer too ;)

I do both and usually wire brush out before I spray wash
King of the OldSmokey

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »

I have a nice build up on my sides which I never clean. I line the bottom with a pc of hd foil and clean up is a snap and my barrel bottom will probably last a lifetime. The barrel bottom (as in all vertical barrel smokers)I consider the weak spot.

I will take a pic of my PBC bottom before tonights cook
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »
Here is the bottom of my PBC after about 2 years and a bunch of cooks. Sometimes I take a shop vac to it to get the ashes out of the seams

Here it is lined with HD foil for tonights cook

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 11:02:14 PM »
Looks like mine Smoke ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC