Author Topic: Dry Brined Eye of Round  (Read 9003 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Dry Brined Eye of Round
« Reply #-1 on: July 19, 2014, 02:26:00 AM »
Jul 18 2014

The beef you see getting brined is mostly brisket for corned beef or pastrami.  I was looking for a recipe to brine some cheaper cuts of meat that might work on my rotisserie. I found a couple that was wet brine for eye of round. I found this one quite a few times across the net for dry brine. Since it looked like it had been tried more often I went with it. The cooking process looked like it would do better in my Traeger pellet smoker. I was used to doing eye of round high and fast and this was low and slow so hope it turns out.

I found an Angus eye of round Thursday morning, about 3 lbs. It was in a net sock, not sure why; I never had trouble with an eye of round falling apart. I got it rubbed with about 3 teaspoons of kosher salt; wrapped well in plastic wrap and in the fridge by about 8:30 am.

I then went down to our sons to help him install a picket fence. He had 4X4 treated lumber for posts and the fence was premade 4’ X 8’ panels. We had to keep the posts measured just right so took several measures for each post. We set the posts with quick-krete. We worked until 3:00 pm and did pretty well. We had 5 posts set and 2 sections of fence up. I went back down this morning and we got 2 more sections of fence up and two more posts set before noon. The son was doing all the digging; I was the supervisor!

At noon the roast had been in the fridge about 28 hours. I got the Traeger heated up on 180 deg. P4. I took the roast out and cut the net sock off and dried it well with paper towels. I seasoned it with fresh ground pepper. I heated my Lodge steel skillet on my outdoor burner and browned the roast in a little olive oil well on all sides; 3 minutes on the fat side and about 2 on the rest. I got it in the smoker about 12:15, fat side down. My Traeger was holding pretty close to 225 deg. grill level temp.

One hour in I inserted the temp probe and the roast was at 95 deg. IT. It was just a little after 2:00 when the roast hit 128 deg. IT. I shut the smoker off and turned on my manual fan to let the roast come to 135 deg. IT. It took about 10 minutes. Total time was about 2 hours.  I let the roast cool about 20 minutes then wrapped in foil and in the fridge.

The kids dropped the grandson off to stay overnight while they went to Columbus for a night out. He likes veggies and rice so I planned on doing a beef and veggie stir fry over rice and would use some of the eye of round.

At 5:00 I got the roast out and cut 3 slices off for the stir fry. One slice I got a little thick, ¼ inch and thought it might be a little tough. Surprisingly it was very tender; almost as tender as sirloin. It was moist and the flavor was great for just using salt and pepper. This may be my go to method for eye of round in the future. I plan on slicing the rest up thin tomorrow for sandwiches. I will know more after re-heating for sandwiches. It was great in my stir fry and will post later.

The roast

Brined, dried, seasoned and ready for the smoker.

Searing

One hour in

All done at 135 deg. IT

Cooling

Slicing some for my stir fry

Smokin Don

Original Recipe:
                       Dry brined eye or round roast
1.   For a 3 1/2- 4 1/2 lb roast, they suggested 4 tsp of kosher salt and for a 2-2 1/2 lb roast 3 tsp.

1. Salt the roast, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate 18-24 hours.

2. Pat dry the roast, rub with 2 tsp of vegetable oil (i used olive oil) and some freshly cracked pepper. Sear in hot skillet on all sides. This took me about 3 minutes per side in a hot cast iron skillet so it was deeply brown.

3. Add to wire rack in rimmed baking sheet and put in preheated 225 degree oven. Roast until thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 115 degrees for medium-rare, 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours, or 125 degrees for medium, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours. Since my roast was smaller and i like my meat closer to rare, I took it out at 112 degrees which took about an hour.

4. Turn oven off, leave roast in oven, without opening door, until meat-probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 130 degrees for medium-rare or 140 degrees for medium, 30 to 50 minutes longer. As I said, I took it out at 125 degrees which took about 20 minutes.

5. Rest for 15 min and slice thinly.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:46:18 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Dry Brined Eye of Round
« on: July 19, 2014, 03:49:07 AM »
Nicely done Don. That is just the way we like our roast beef.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 11:26:34 AM »
That is some beauteous looking roast beef, nice job.

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »
Looks really good, Don! Looking forward to your stir fry!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:07:53 PM »
You can slice me some of that all day
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »
Looks awesome Don!

Time for a slicer ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Perfect! :P
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
Beautiful roast!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
Very nice and shows (yet again) that you're a stronger man than I. When an eye of round enters my house it almost automatically turns into jerky.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »
Very nice and shows (yet again) that you're a stronger man than I. When an eye of round enters my house it almost automatically turns into jerky.
That was the most tender eye of round I ever fixed. I think it was the dry brine overnight doing low & slow. It could have been the meat too but will have to try this way again to see. I had a sandwich tonight from thin slices and was great! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »
That EOR looks outstanding, great job.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 08:56:08 AM »
Very nice. Never cooked eye round much cause it can be tough. They I got my little Chef's CHoice slicer and decided to cook one. Usually cook it on the Char Broil infra red to an internal temp of about 115, then I remove it and stick it in the fridge. Next day I cut and slice it. 115 sounds raw but it must continue to cook for a while cause I never ad a raw one.. Slices medium rare and I get slices down to 1/16th" and it makes great french dip sandwiches, cold roast beef sandwiches, or a family favorite, Thai Beef Salad.
Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
Masterbuilt 40" ss electric smoker
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Roundboy wood burning pizza oven
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey
Chef's Choice 610 slicer - Great tool
New Pit Barrel Cooker (PCB)
Retired Char Broil smoker (RIP old friend)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »
Made a many of them.  Low and slow then sear til 135, great sammies and Kimmie won't touch it  :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 12:58:06 PM »
Excellent post, Don!

We've done a few eye of round roasts very similar to what you did, and we were equally surprised by the results.  Not as tender as a more expensive cut, but a lot more tender than we'd anticipated.

I am convinced the secret is roasting & pulling them off to no higher than 130°-132°ish and letting them rest AT LEAST 30 minutes minimum, or until the temp peaks out and starts to drop and allows the muscle fiber to relax so it's as tender as possible.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »
Don,
The eye round looks really good.  I might take that eye round one step farther.  Slice and put in the crock pot for some Italian beef.  THAT makes some killer sandwiches, too!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11