Author Topic: competition steak  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
competition steak
« Reply #-1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:06:48 PM »
I have entered my first steak competition.  I have a plan, but would like some pointers to consider during my prep over the next few days.  I WILL BE COMPETING AGAINST OUR GOOD FRIEND AND WORLD CHAMPION PALMY, SO I will be careful to follow his advice even though he is a a genuine fellow and would never steer me wrong.   I think ive got the temp, flavor and sear marks down, but need help in the steak selection, tenderness, and aroma areas.  Fire when ready!...and good luck to Palmy!  See ya on saturday in Springhill La.
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices

Offline Palmyrasteak

Re: competition steak
« on: August 04, 2014, 06:58:09 PM »
Sorry, I just now saw this! As you know,  :(  I was not able to be there. Hope you did good. I gave you all my secrets ( most of em anyway  :-X ) Talk to ya soon

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:04:03 PM »
Came in at the middle of the pack and had an awesome time.  The competitors are like family.  Love this lifestyle and looking forward to the future. 
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:08:37 PM »
Someday I want to try this - need a lot more work and practice, but it sounds like fun!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:56:52 PM »
Sorry I missed this thread to give you any advice although I am just a home cook and don't compete. Sounds like you did good and had fun!

I would love to try one of these comps one time ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:57:29 PM »
You guys just need to get in there and do it.  You will meet the best folks, learn a few things, teach a few things, have fun, and place better than you planned.  Come on down to camden ar. In march and I will introduce you to a handful of world champions.
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices