Author Topic: Needed a Ribeye Fix  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Palmyrasteak

Re: Needed a Ribeye Fix
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »
Remember it is not necessary to get grill marks on both sides of the steak. When the steak is plated you only see one side. Trying to get great grill marks on both sides of a steak using searing hot grill grates will not get you a medium rare steak ;)

A Thermapen is your friend for the perfect steak. You want to pull it 5F less than your target temp so it does not overcook after you remove it from the grill. Check it every 30 seconds once you are at the point you think they are close to done. Once you get better the look and feel will be your main guide and the Thermpen will just confirm your thoughts.

Make sure the surface of the steak is dry then you can salt the surface and let it rest in the fridge for an hour. This will draw out the excess moisture from the surface and the salt will flavor the meat. After rinsing the salt off dry the surface of the meat and place back in the freezer for about 10 minutes to bring the interior temperature back down. This allows you to get a great crust on the steak and not overcook the interior of the meat.

You can then apply a light coating of your steak rub of choice before placing on the grill.

Once you start grilling the steak make sure you have a beer handy and don't leave that grill. For thick rib eyes I will start a count in my head when I place them down. 2 1/2 minutes then rotate 45 degrees. 2 1/2 more minutes then flip. Then I wait for 3 to 4 minutes. After I grab the Thermapen and spot check for temp. When I hit 132F off they come!

Then they rest for a few minutes before playing and serving.
Good advice here!

Offline Palmyrasteak

Re: Needed a Ribeye Fix
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »
Looking GooooooooOOOoOOOOD!