Author Topic: 65 day Drybag Aged Rib-Eye, Shrimp and Twice Baked Potato  (Read 5114 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: 65 day Drybag Aged Rib-Eye, Shrimp and Twice Baked Potato
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »
Holy Cow!!!
I may want you to cook my last meal!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Ron D

• Fire up the grill or smoker and get cooking
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 07:18:37 PM »
Great looking food and a great info on the Drybag
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Brinkman Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »
Thanks for the compliments!
Had a busy work week, sorry for taking so long to reply to questions and a big thanks to doTenpoint5 for covering answers to most of the questions with the DryBagSteak link!

The dry aged steaks that I have tried had a more intense beefy, and even more minerally flavor...did you taste much difference this time in these?Were you using the Dry Bag brand bags?

I really like the Drybag technology, I taste a bolder, beefier flavor and the tenderness of the meat is well worth the long wait. I am not sure if it was worth a few more weeks of aging, honestly going to have to eat more rib-eyes from this last batch to decide. I do know it did not hurt anything. One thing I miss from a regular fresh rib-eye is the fat as it is either aged pretty much gone or trimmed off before cooking; but I can live without it in trade for the taste and tenderness.

How long did you dry age last time? That apparently was long enough if you can't tell a notable difference with three more weeks of dry aging.

Last time it was aged for 47 days compared to 65 days this time... I am really up in the air on this yet. This was only the second time I have Drybag aged... think I am gonna need much more experience doing this before I can comment on how long a time is perfect for Drybag aging.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »
Mossy can you give a little more details on you dry aging process? Maybe a step by step on preparing the meat and what temp to store it at. Do you need to turn the meat during the aging process? Any red flags to watch for? Any seasoning or cure used?

I would like to try this myself but have never done it...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 01:12:30 PM »
Mossy can you give a little more details on you dry aging process? Maybe a step by step on preparing the meat and what temp to store it at. Do you need to turn the meat during the aging process? Any red flags to watch for? Any seasoning or cure used?

I would like to try this myself but have never done it...

Drybag Aging is easy, the hardest part is being patient for a slab of rib-eye roast knowing you have it sitting right there in the fridge for that long!

It is as simple as removing the meat from the cyrovac and putting it in the DryBag, sealing it shut and setting it on a cooling rack for airflow around the bagged meat in a fridge and not disturbing the meat the entire time.

There is no turning the meat while in the fridge and no seasoning or cure used. I have only done this twice but when it is done Drybag aging just watch for bacteria growth and use your nose for unpleasant smells. We haven't had a problem yet. But when removed from the Drybag just trim away the dried exterior crust and slice out your steaks, then get them ready for grilling or package them up for the freezer.

There is a wealth of information on this topic at www.drybagsteak.com and seems to be many educated members on Drybag aging on their forum - www.drybagsteak.com/forum

Look forward to seeing your results from trying this technology meube!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »
All right Mossy I did my research and see how I can use my foodsaver to do this fairly easily.

Now just to decide what bag package I should get?

Is it better just to get the combo pack with the small and standard? Or get the sampler pack? I will need to get the vac mouse strips also...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
All right Mossy I did my research and see how I can use my foodsaver to do this fairly easily.

Now just to decide what bag package I should get?

Is it better just to get the combo pack with the small and standard? Or get the sampler pack? I will need to get the vac mouse strips also...

The large ribeye roast and strip lion that we did we used the Subprimal size. I would recommend practicing on a smaller bag so that you don't wreck a large bag on bad seals. The video makes it look simple...there was a lot of "words" used when trying to get the seal right. We tried using our foodsaver model but the seal strip go too hot and melted through the drybag. So practice first!  There is also a forum on that drybag site with some help and tips. We did a lot of research first. 

The sampler pack looks like the best however I have no idea what you would use the small roast size for, they seem really small. 

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 05:43:28 PM »
Beautiful steak!
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware