Author Topic: Turkey Breast  (Read 58558 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Turkey Breast
« Reply #-1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:08:38 PM »
Big sale at the local Cub store - scored on a half turkey breast, chuck roast and bone in / skin on chicken breasts. Some portioning and freezing, but tonight is turkey!

This is a work in progress...

First the skin had to come off the turkey breast. Have you ever noticed, when you want the skin to stay ON it comes off... when you want t to come off, it fights every part of the way...  ??? Stay tuned to how the skin will be used.

Then dusted the breast with Mo Rockin' Chicken - Emma loves that stuff! Then into the bag and into the bath at 145*F. Letting it go for about 3 hours. I left the bone in to see if it adds flavor - but I have nothing to benchmark against, so who knows...  ::)

Mixed up a batch of KAF Maple Corn Bread and made some mini loaves. The bread just came out of the oven (no pic.) It is not sweet, any southerner would like it. You don't really taste the maple, but you smell it - very nice. KAF mixes are pretty darn good.

Will add more pics when the turkey and fixings are done.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Turkey Breast
« on: February 17, 2015, 05:53:11 PM »
They are selling half a bone in breast? May have to make a trip
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:35:10 PM by Pappymn »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Turkey Breast
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »
Getting hungry.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
Funny thing is, I didn't realize it was bone in - probably should have looked closer...  ;D :-[ ;D But, it was on sale for $1.89 / # - couldn't resist. Cooking it bone in and then de-bone to serve.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 09:14:14 PM »
The turkey is done and eaten... Some good points and some really bad points...  ;D ;D :-[ ??? ::) ::) ::)

First the good - the turkey breast was absolutely the best I have ever had. It was so juicy / moist flavorful - unbelievable. I will always make turkey breasts this way. BTW, Emma is right - Mo Rockin' Chicken is the bomb! Not salty, just a great flavor.

Matched the turkey up with some bog standard potatoes, dressing and cranberry sauce. Most of the sides were left alone and the turkey was killed! Hub, I did have gravy and typically use a gallon or so to soften the turkey. In this case - on the turkey - no gravy was needed. It was so moist and juicy. Wow!

Bone in 1/2 turkey breast - skinned (planned to crisp the skin in the oven - (yeah that didn't work.) 144*F for 3 hours
Fried some sage leaves - they crisp up faster than you might expect - fail
Plated picture - not great - kids were yelling for dinner...  ;D ;D ;D
Regular mashed potatoes, dressing and gravy - all fine
KAF Maple Cornbread mini loafs - very nice!

Verdict - Sous Vide Turkey - Home Run!
Special items - Strike Out!

Meal - very good.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:32:33 PM by drholly »
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:22:20 PM »
This turkey is so moist, my wife just got home and microwaved a piece - still perfect! Just wish I was smart enough to see the difference between parchment paper and wax paper so the skin was crisped. Will try it with the chicken breasts I picked up on sale. Parchment this time!
Member #

Offline Northshore

Turkey Breast
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »
Dr. All looks great, I most likely will have to break down and add S V to the kitchen tools when I get back north. Take care and all you northern people stay warm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »
Hey North / South Shore,

I hope you are enjoying your winter.

Yeah, you gotta try this sous vide thing. Jaxon convinced me and I am having a blast. I think you will too. I look forward to seeing you and getting together when you get back.

D
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Turkey Breast
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »
Doing this soon. What are bog potatoes?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:55:33 PM »
ummmm  :-[ :-[ :-[ boxed...  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 09:57:11 PM »
BTW - although the turkey has some "pink:, it was cooked long past the USDA requirement for pasteurization. It was safe, juicy and oooohhhh sooooo good.
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »
Nice cook David! I like it, sort of Thanksgiving in February!  ;D

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 11:06:16 PM »
Nice cook David! I like it, sort of Thanksgiving in February!  ;D

Thanks, Gene - that was what I was looking for - I missed Thanksgiving this year, taking care of my dad, so this was a make up."
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 11:18:13 PM »
Yet another SV cook to add to the list!!  Great job, David!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 11:22:42 PM »
Looks great, SV turkey breast is the best.  I did one last week, didn't take any pictures so I didn't post about it, but I had a whole bone in breast and split it in two and put the two halves in the hot tub @140 for 4 hours.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)