Author Topic: CHALLENGE: Your BEST Cheeseburger recipe!  (Read 48201 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
CHALLENGE: Your BEST Cheeseburger recipe!
« Reply #-1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:01:48 AM »
I am entertaining some folks from Copper Center Alaska.  ( I feel so bad for them - having a house on the Copper River, and having to eat all that salmon, and hunt Caribou and Moose...poor folks.... ::) :D ) So I am going to make...HAMBURGERS!!!! ;D

But - I want these to be "special"! ( No, not short-bus special....) SO - tell me what YOUR favorite burger is. And - if it is not one that yo name at home - as long as you know the technique used, that is fine. The internet is rife with recipes, but as we all know - some of them sound good...but come up short on delivering taste impact.

Let the salivating begin!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: CHALLENGE: Your BEST Cheeseburger recipe!
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »
I mince some gahhlick, onions and lotsa shrooms..I said mince..add to 80/20 chuckie for the best greasy cheeseburgers..the shrooms keep it real moist and so does the onions and gahhlick...serve with anything.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
I will add either Secret Seasoning or Sweet Lou's Steak and Hamburger into 70/30 ground beef. Not packed to tightly. Set up a grill or smoker for indirect cooking.

Using 70/30 you have tons of flavor and moist burgers with a smoke ring and no flare ups to worry about. Once you smoke a burger you wont grill em again......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »
Tee, here are some stuffed burgers I did awhile back before I joined the board.

Burger number 1 was filled with Pepper Jack cheese, sliced jalapenos, onion and cooked garlic.

Burger number 2 was filled with Horseradish cheddar, Pepper jack, sliced jalapenos, sliced olives, onion and garlic.

Burgers number 3 was filled with Extra Sharp Cheddar and Swiss cheese, onion, garlic and homemade BBQ sauce.

Excellent flavors and very filling!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Sandman

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
Ground brisket makes the best burgers!

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »
 Brisket chopped in food processor. don't over process. Use the crumbly fat from inside the brisket as needed with 10-15% bacon ends added.
Seasoning- , Finely ground(powdered) very good coffee. Chef Paul's RED FISH Magic, dry garlic. I tend to use "close to" equal amounts but Mix to your taste (Cause I never measure it) add salt if needed/wanted. 
 Cheese- there's a whole world of good options there. I think I would use thick sharp cheddar topped with a little shredded Asiago. Fully melted on top ,Bread and butter pickles. 

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 05:52:59 PM »
You guys are giving me some ideas....No brisket within driving distance today tho. Gonna have to improvise...Anybody else want to throw a burger in the ring? ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 06:39:30 PM »
Smoke em in the MAK Tee, Smoke em in the MAK  8) 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 09:52:29 PM »
Not sure what I will use...supposed to come a gully-washer tomorrow.... :-[
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 11:20:17 PM »
Mine are pretty simple. I use 80/20 ground beef, season it with ground black pepper, sea salt and minced garlic. Make 1/3 pound patties. I fire up my Camp Chef stove with a cast iron griddle and put a half pound of bacon on and cook it crisp. Then I put the burgers on in the bacon grease and yes I take the spatula  and mash them flat. I cook the burgers until the finger test tells me they are mid rare then put a slice of the cheese I have on hand on top until the cheese is meaty. If you have done your prep work you have some lettuce and some sliced onions and tomato ready. Add mayo and mustard, make a big fat burger and you are set. Bacon cheeseburger at it's best.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline 1Bigg_ER

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 01:29:24 AM »
It's all about the meat....you want to see your guests with juice dripping down both sides of their chins  after taking a big bite of your big wonderful and juicy burger. Again, it's all about the meat!

A perfect burger should contain about 60 percent clean and fresh lean red beef and about 40 percent good white beef fat from a graded steer at least choice or prime for the ultimate burger.

The above red meat is from some choice chuck roasts and the fat is from the tail that I cut off the back of a choice whole beef loin. The chuck roasts are about 80/20 lean meat to fat and the tail cuttings are about 20/80 fat to lean meat. This is about perfect.

Now, that's a great color coming out of my grinder. And for the folks that don't know, white or good fat IS the flavor in any burger!

Ok, now we are rollin with some real burger...

Next step is to form up your burger patty with about a 1/2 to 3/4 pound of your ultimate burger beef. You need a fairly large amount of meat as a great burger will shrink up some during the cooking process. This step is critical in the making of a great burger.

Grab a handful of that meat with both hands making a ball without working the meat at all and place it down on your hot griddle. Take a large spatula and press it down ONCE to about the thickness you desire and leave the damn meat alone. It pains me to no end to see someone working the patty back in forth between between their hands and squezing and squezing trying to form up a patty! Doing this just flat ruins a great burger...don't do it!

Seasoning, why? Are you ashamed of your meat? Anything more that a very light sprinkle of salt and pepper is more than any good burger might need and a great burger really doesn't need that.

Cook the burger watching closely and turning often and each time you see a hint of moisture coming to the surface of the burger patty and finish it to about 130 degrees internal.

Serve the burger on a PLAIN bun that is no larger than the burger.

Just before serving, offer your guests a large bib as they will need it as they will be tasting the most juiciest and best tasting burger they have ever eaten. Do tell them that you have made the burger yourself from real good clean top grade meat and is safe eaten with some pink left inside the patty.

Be sure to hide all the condiments as there are still people out there that will want to kill the taste of probably the best burger they will ever eaten. Hell, some of the fools may want to put some cheese or a garden on top of it as well! Don't let them do it.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 08:21:55 AM »
Sorry "T" I really can't offer anymore but I do like to cook burgers using the GGs on the MAK

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 08:39:49 AM »
Tim I had made some burgers before that I had mixed in leftover pulled pork into the meat before making the burger patties. I remember them being amazing.

A lot of great ideas on this thread for you to choose.

I say make up some burger patties with left over pulled pork mixed in. The Sous Vide them for several hours.

Then finish them in a deep fryer for a couple minutes or pan fry to give them a nice color.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:58:25 AM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 01:20:30 PM »
These are ALL good ideas. So good, that I think you have all contributed to a thread that should be easy to find - for anyone wanting ideas for great burgers! SO - any new ideas - please add them here.

STICKY!!!!

PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401