Author Topic: Sour Cream Meatloaf  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Sour Cream Meatloaf
« Reply #-1 on: July 09, 2015, 12:42:13 AM »
Jul 08 2015

We had the grandson Tuesday and the wife had a tooth pulled. It rained all afternoon. When the daughter in law came for the grandson she had plans to cook supper. My wife had to eat soft stuff so I thawed out a hot brat quick. I had some leftover fried corn and opened a can of sliced new potatoes. I fried it all up for a one skillet meal. It tasted great.

I had a pound of ground chuck I was going to use for smash burgers but the rain changed that to a meatloaf. I searched my saved recipes and found a Sour cream meatloaf by Frugal Gourmet I had never tried. I used a packet of Lipton’s beefy onion soup instead of chopped onions, cracker crumbs instead of bread crumbs and reduced the amounts for a one pound meatloaf.

I mixed it up and on my pan to go in the fridge for a few hours. It was a little wetter than normal but I like them wetter for doing on the smoker. I had some Alexis frozen rosemary & sea salt crispy fries to do in a basket the last 40 minutes cooking the meatloaf. I had a packet of Pioneer brown gravy mix to make and my wife made up a green salad for us. We had some pea pods in it and topped with Champagne dressing.

I put the meatloaf on my Traeger at 180 deg. for a half hour then went to 250 deg. I added the fries after 45 minutes. At an hour in I went to 275 deg. the meatloaf was at 140 deg. IT. At an hour and 10 minutes I went to 300 deg. and went inside to boil the water and make the gravy. I brought the meatloaf in and tented while I finished the gravy. I got the fries in and served it all.

The meatloaf was great, my wife said among the best ones. I served the gravy over the meatloaf and after I took the photo I went back and ladled some gravy over my fries!

Smokin Don

Recipe:

Sour Cream meatloaf 2
Adapted from a FG recipe by Smokin Don

2 eggs
  1/4 cup sour cream, more if needed
  1/4 cup milk or half and half
  1/2 cup crushed cracker crumbs
  Onion soup mix I used Lipton’s beefy
  1 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
  1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
  1/4 teaspoon salt
  1/4 teaspoon pepper
  1 lbs. ground chuck

This is my ver. of a Frugal Gourmet recipe with just a few changes. Mix all together and form a loaf. I like mine a little wet for doing on the smoker. I like to do mine up and let rest in the fridge a few hours before cooking. I will do on my smoker at 275 deg. and should get to an IT of 160 to 170 deg. in about an hour and half.

Note: I did mine at 180 deg. for ½ hour then went to 250 deg. An hour in I went to 275 deg. I went to 300 deg. the last 20 minutes. I had planned on 1 ½ hours but was done about an hour 20 minutes.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Sour Cream Meatloaf
« on: July 09, 2015, 01:58:12 AM »
Going to have to try that one.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 06:40:12 AM »
Very nice looking meatloaf Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 07:50:15 AM »
Love meatloaf!!  I just haven't made it in a long time.  The best part is the leftovers.  Makes great sammies!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:01:41 AM »
A great looking meatloaf. And, I like gravy on my fries too!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »
Awesome Don, simply awesome  :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Sour Cream Meatloaf
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
I'd love a plate of that
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »
Mine is mixed and ready to be cooked tonight.  I too like the gravy on French fries.  I first heard of this at a bar called Baby Janes in Flint.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 12:26:51 PM »
I too like the gravy on French fries.  I first heard of this at a bar called Baby Janes in Flint.

My first and favorite still is the Big Boy drive through in Bismarck, ND - best gravy and fries around (and yes, in that order!)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:07:30 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »
Dang that looks good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »
That looks VERY tasty.   Will try, cause I love sour cream and one finicky eater around our place says he can't stand it.   I have found it amazing if it's incorporated into whatever is being cooked, he raves about the taste and texture.   What you don't know certainly can't hurt you, right?   Terrible to feel that way, but get a big weary when cooking to have people tell you how to do it, what to put in or not put in, as the case may be.   OK, you come do it, then.   That usually shuts them up.