Author Topic: Cooking frozen steak...  (Read 4166 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Cooking frozen steak...
« Reply #-1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Recently, I've read a number of articles, particularly in Cook's Illustrated, about not thawing steaks before cooking them. Just put them on the grill and let 'em go and they cook more evenly.  Any of y'all know anything about this or have tried it?

Also, yesterday I read an indepth article by Meathead at AmazinRibs.com as to not resting steaks and some other meats. There was a lot of scientific information and experiments to back up this idea. Of course, in the comments section there were those who disagreed.  Any comments on  resting versus not resting?

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
Cooking frozen steak...
« on: August 16, 2015, 10:10:15 AM »
I've never tried cooking steaks right out of the freezer, but my dad was a salesman for 20th century welders back in the 70's and he still says the best steaks he ever ate were made by one of his customers on a ranch in western SD. The guy did exactly that. Pulled T-bone steaks out of the freezer and put them on a hot charcoal grill while still frozen solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Cooking frozen steak...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:17:41 AM »
Most mail order meat places (ex. Omaha Steaks) recommend cooking from frozen.......I just can't seem to do it..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Cooking frozen steak...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:20:28 AM »
Haven't done it myself. But resting steaks and chops doesn't make much sense to me as they are so thin. Whole poultry is another matter
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:36:58 AM by Pappymn »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
I have done this before. Very thick steaks can be an issue due to being frozen in the middle. Takes a lot of energy to thaw and cook the middle part so the rest of the steak can be overdone by then.

Thin steaks it seems to work fine to me.

It does allow you to get a great sear on steaks without over cooking it to do so.

I prefer direct contact with the frozen steak to like a cast iron skillet for example instead of a grill.

Even dropping directly on the coals sounds like a great idea to me.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
Dee my Dad used to eat a lot of T-bones cut thick from my Uncle's Grocery Meat Market. He always said he liked them better after frozen for a period. Said they were more tender. I have never tried it from frozen solid.
I usually let my steaks rest some but not to room temp. I always want the food on my plate HOT! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »
I have not tried steaks from frozen, but the concept seems to make sense.

I also read Meathead's article on resting vs. not resting. I have not rested steaks or most meats in some time. Meat that should be hot goes from the grill or oven to the table in my house. I've eaten at Murrays in Minneapolis, Ruth's Chris in various places, Lawry's and Peter Lugers. All serve their steaks hot, and they are delicious. If I worry about losing some juices... well there is usually some nice bread waiting to sop them up.

I'm with Pappy on poultry.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 11:55:29 AM »

It does allow you to get a great sear on steaks without over cooking it to do so.

What muebe said. If you've got a fairly thin steak, cooking it while still partially frozen can prevent it from being overcooked.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 01:08:50 PM »
My standard cook.
Season steak & freeze about an hour or if frozen just season.
Indirect smoke for 20 minutes then on the heat for a sear.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »

What muebe said. If you've got a fairly thin steak, cooking it while still partially frozen can prevent it from being overcooked.

I do 1/2 inch steaks from frozen state it will have a nice sear on top and medium in the middle . that why i pack my steaks each one in a separate pack .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
Most mail order meat places (ex. Omaha Steaks) recommend cooking from frozen.......I just can't seem to do it..............

Way back in the day (30+ years ago) I lived out in the sticks.  Nearest grocery was over 45 minutes away.  I had an account with Southern Foods. That was their recommendation, too.  As I recall, their steaks were probably 1/2" thick.

I don't cook from frozen now, but I cook thicker steaks now.  Plus (I think) I'm a little bit better cook than I was 30 years ago.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 07:52:31 AM »
Yes, you CAN cook a steak from frozen and sometimes you might even have to.  However, let's take a moment to think about the time/temperature relationship  ;D

A frozen steak tossed on a hot grill is going to take longer to cook to any "medium" degree and the exterior surface will be subjected to high heat longer and may possibly char as a result.  Further, although a frozen steak might come out well in the rare portion of the spectrum without external charring, it'll take a probe to know when it's ready for service.  Using lower heat makes some sense because it will allow more upward progress in the center of the frozen steak before something disgusting happens to the outside.  Why fight the problem?

Becoming a skilled steak griller is a worthy challenge.  Here's my two cents:  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=707.0

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN