Author Topic: Tzatziki Sauce  (Read 1736 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Tzatziki Sauce
« Reply #-1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:49:05 AM »
Tzatziki sauce is a garlic cucumber yogurt sauce, which can also be used at just a dip.  He is how to make it.

Ingredients:
Greek Yogurt (regular yogurt is fine just let it sit overnight in cheesecloth to let drain some of the excess liquid out overnight)
Cucumber
Garlic
Olive oil (I use greek olive oil, which is thicker, greener, and has a more intense stronger flavor than most olive oils in the store)
Lemon
Fresh herb (I use thyme, others use dill, some just use parsley, some don't use anything)
Salt and white pepper ( I use black pepper because I don't have white pepper)

Peel and remove seeds from cucumber before finely dicing the cucumber and placing it in a strainer. Sprinkle with salt and set aside to allow some moisture to be removed from the cucumber.

With the garlic portion you can go two ways and each has it's own benefits.  You can use roasted garlic or fresh.  If I am making for just a dip I like to use roasted garlic because it is more mellow than using fresh garlic, but using it as a spread with lamb I like fresh garlic.  To make the roasted garlic, cover garlic (whole or minced) with olive oil and keep over low heat to warm the oil and slowly extract the garlic flavor into the oil.  You can keep the oil for other uses or use the oil in the tzatziki sauce, which is what I normally do.

With the cucumber and garlic ready add them both to the yogurt with the zest of a whole lemon, salt, pepper, and the fresh herbs if you choose.   Once mixed, add some of the juice of the lemon to loosen the mixture up, taste and reseason if necessary.  Allow the tzatziki to sit in fridge overnight to allow the flavors to fully develop before using.  Enjoy!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Tzatziki Sauce
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:45:07 AM »
Pretty similar to what I do, except I use a little bit of red wine vinegar to sharpen it up a little bit.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 08:53:15 AM »
Very nice! Thanks for the recipe. Many folks will now thank you every time they make this for their families and friends. If you have any input on ratios or quantities of ingredients, those are helpful on more complex recipes. This is - of course - one that a person can taste as they go and adjust.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »
Very nice! Thanks for the recipe. Many folks will now thank you every time they make this for their families and friends. If you have any input on ratios or quantities of ingredients, those are helpful on more complex recipes. This is - of course - one that a person can taste as they go and adjust.

If it is just me I use 1-6oz single serving cup of greek yogurt (Fage), about 1/3 of a english seedless cucumber, 1-2 cloves of garlic.  Usually get a meal (my wife does not like it) and a snack out of this portion, or a meal for two people.

For parties I usually get the plain greek yogurt from Costco that comes in the big quart containers and a whole cucumber.  Of course I usually error on the side of caution and make more than I need and just have the leftovers with pita chips as a snack, like chips and salsa.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »
Nice! And - easy to follow!
Thanks
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 04:14:13 PM »
Nice this is a good recipe .
it is a good sauce with lamb .
Thanks .

Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 08:13:27 PM »
Cool, thanks for the recipe. I went to YouTube to learn how to say Tzatziki :)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 07:20:59 AM »
Thanks, akruckus! Looks like an easy to follow and delicious recipe - bookmarked.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »
Thanks!

I also bookmarked :)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven