Author Topic: Cranberry-Sour Cream Pound Cake  (Read 7750 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Cranberry-Sour Cream Pound Cake
« Reply #-1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:49:10 PM »
Here is the recipe I used to make this pound cake.  Note the changes I had to make to make sure it came out correctly.

Recipe By: Cook's Country

Ingredients:

5 each large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup sour cream
14 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, but cool
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 ounces cranberries, fresh or frozen, chopped coarsely
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

Directions:

1. Adjust oven rack and heat oven to 300 degrees.  Spray 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 loaf pan with baking spray with flour.  Whisk eggs and vanilla together in 2-cup liquid measuring cup.  Sift flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and baking powder into bowl.  Whisk sour cream and milk together in second bowl.

2. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down bowl once.  Reduce speed to medium and gradually pour in granulated sugar.  Increase speed to medium-high and beat until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed.

3. Reduce speed to medium and gradually add egg mixture in slow steady stream.  Scrape bottom and sides of bowl and continue to mix on medium speed until uniform, about 1 minute (batter may look slightly curdles).

4. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream mixture in 2 additions, scraping down bowl as needed.  Give batter final stir by hand.

5. Toss cranberries with confectioner’s sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt until evenly coated, then gently but thoroughly fold into batter.  Transfer batter to prepared pan and tap pan on counter twice to release air bubbles.  Bake until tooth inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 3/4 hours to 1 hour 55 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.

6. Let cake cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.  Remove cake from pan and let cool completely on rack, about 2 hours, before serving.  (Cooled cake can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.)

Notes:

The baking times may be a mis-print in the Cook’s Country magazine.  I used a bundt pan and the baking time was about 45 minutes in a 300 degree convection oven.
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Cranberry-Sour Cream Pound Cake
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:33:57 PM »
This cake was great Art. It was not too sweet....and would be my pick for pairing with a fine cup of coffee.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

Re: Cranberry-Sour Cream Pound Cake
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »
This cake was great Art. It was not too sweet....and would be my pick for pairing with a fine cup of coffee.

Twas awesome, indeed.  I'm going to try it as a Christmas goodie once things cool down a bit.

Huib
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN