Author Topic: Utica Greens (Escarole)  (Read 20250 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Utica Greens (Escarole)
« Reply #-1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:01:41 AM »
  My sister made Utica greens last night for the birthday dinner. Now I know this is not something for Tommy  but wow are these good! If you like greens you really need to try these.
 The was also BBQ chicken and sliced tomatoes and cheese , A pre-dinner crab and artichoke dip out of Southern Living magazine that was awesome as well.  The crab is different than most crab dips here in that there is no cream in it. Really good and will be a regular now that we've tried it.
 Down here you have to hunt a little for the escarole... They had to get it out of the back at Publix in fact.
I will post her recipe later. And the crab dip as well.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Utica Greens (Escarole)
« on: September 09, 2016, 10:17:01 AM »
  My sister made Utica greens last night for the birthday dinner. Now I know this is not something for Tommy  but wow are these good! If you like greens you really need to try these.
 The was also BBQ chicken and sliced tomatoes and cheese , A pre-dinner crab and artichoke dip out of Southern Living magazine that was awesome as well.  The crab is different than most crab dips here in that there is no cream in it. Really good and will be a regular now that we've tried it.
 Down here you have to hunt a little for the escarole... They had to get it out of the back at Publix in fact.
Terry, if you made them I would try them  ;)   May not like'm but I would try them  (just have bacon on the side to kill the taste)  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »
waiting for the recipes..thank Terry..hope ya had a great birthday.    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 11:59:13 AM »
Terry thanks for reminding me. I love escarole, never new it was called Utica greens! It has been ages since I had any and it's hard to find here too. I used to fry some bulk Italian sausage, add in a can of Cannellini white beans and when heated through add the escarole. Delicious. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
Had these fairly often growing up.  One of those things where each family has their own version. They are very good! But I love greens!

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 10:29:54 PM »
Grew up near Utica NY and had these often. A little place called Franklin Hotel in Rome NY made the best in the area.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline junep

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
Didn't know Utica greens was another name for Escarole! Learn something new every day! I have a good recipe for braised lamb shanks that has escarole in the recipe but it's the only way I've ever had it. Looking forward for the recipes! Thanks!

Conformity is the last refuge of the unimaginative.