Author Topic: My new "go to" for pizza dough  (Read 18639 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
My new "go to" for pizza dough
« Reply #-1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
Let me start by saying that this is NOT my creation but rather a slightly altered version of Jim Lahey's No Knead dough recipe. Jim uses All Purpose flour. While I have used AP, I find that for my needs/tastes using a 50/50 mixture of King Arthur Bread Flour and 00 Caputo works wonders. I also don't do any hand mixing with a spoon and hands like he instructs. I simply throw all the ingredients in a KitchenAid bowl, slap a dough hook on it and go to town. When it comes together and the sides of the bowl are clean and a dough ball is slappin' around in the bowl I oil my hands, take it out and fold it into itself over and over to make a tight skinned ball and plop it into a greased bowl and put plastic wrap over it and let it sit out on the counter for 18+ hours. This is called bulk proofing or proving, whichever you prefer. When it's proofed you then cut it into desired weight dough balls and either use them then or you can freeze them or you can put them in the fridge for a couple of days THEN use them. It's a real forgiving dough and because it uses so little yeast, you don't have to worry about blown dough. It's a silky dough, very nice to work with and the crumb and chew are excellent and it makes a nice cornicione.

Here's what I use
500g flour (250g King Arthur Bread Flour & 250g Caputo 00)
16g of salt (I use Kosher, Jim uses Sea salt)
1g of Active Dry yeast
350g water

So it's just flour salt yeast and water and time! Simple.

Here's his recipe, unaltered

And yes, slap, slappin', and plop are highly technical culinary terms. Either that or some obese pizza eatin' rice krispies elves!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline tomcrete1

Re: My new "go to" for pizza dough
« on: January 30, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
Bookmarked! Thanks RG!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
You're welcome!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

My new "go to" for pizza dough
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »
I do one that is similar. If you want to bake, get a good kitchen scale. It's the only time I like the metric system ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 04:25:02 AM »
I will try this recipe for my first ever pizza. Are the flours you use common in supermarkets or should I order online ?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 06:31:11 AM »
I will try this recipe for my first ever pizza. Are the flours you use common in supermarkets or should I order online ?

I find they are pretty common at the store.

I'll add one thing to the mix, Alton Brown uses bread machine flour (I have not tried) because of the higher gluten content then even bread flour apparently.  I'm feeling some pizza with my weekly dinner with my MIL, I'll make this to compare to uuni (ooni) basic dough recipe.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »

I'll add one thing to the mix, Alton Brown uses bread machine flour (I have not tried) because of the higher gluten content then even bread flour apparently.  I'm feeling some pizza with my weekly dinner with my MIL, I'll make this to compare to uuni (ooni) basic dough recipe.

Thanks !!!! Please let me know the results. I have to get a pizza steel to cook on so I have a little time
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
I do one that is similar. If you want to bake, get a good kitchen scale. It's the only time I like the metric system ;)

"Use the force Luke"

Love pizza going to try this, Thank You for posting.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 01:25:11 PM »
Thanks RG!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:01:59 PM »

Thanks !!!! Please let me know the results. I have to get a pizza steel to cook on so I have a little time
Yes get the metal one..much better than the wood, just sayin..and it fits in my Uuni.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 03:21:54 PM »
Crap. I can’t find the 00 flour .
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 05:12:00 PM »
You can find 00 flour online..00 flour is ideal for pizza dough for two reasons: one, it's finely ground, and two, it has a lower gluten content than most flours... the difference is gluten amounts.  It is similar to unbleached all purpose/plain flour, which is a mix of hard and soft wheat, and though while finer, it creates a dough that is silkier and maintains a chewiness when the pasta is cooked. They are interchangable.  Regular AP flour has more gluten than 00 and Bread flour has the most.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 07:43:01 PM »
You can find 00 flour online..00 flour is ideal for pizza dough for two reasons: one, it's finely ground, and two, it has a lower gluten content than most flours... the difference is gluten amounts.  It is similar to unbleached all purpose/plain flour, which is a mix of hard and soft wheat, and though while finer, it creates a dough that is silkier and maintains a chewiness when the pasta is cooked. They are interchangable.  Regular AP flour has more gluten than 00 and Bread flour has the most.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Do you think the 00 is worth the $ to order it online ? Or is the unbleached close enough ? Next time I’m in restaurant depot I’ll check out their flours. I see pizza place owners in their so maybe they’ll  have it
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline RG

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 01:35:51 AM »

Do you think the 00 is worth the $ to order it online ? Or is the unbleached close enough ? Next time I’m in restaurant depot I’ll check out their flours. I see pizza place owners in their so maybe they’ll  have it

I see this post has gotten some action since I posted 2 years ago, lol. Just curious if you found any flour at Restaurant Depot? I may head there in the not too distant future. I can't find 00 locally anymore. I actually bought my last batch at Target of all places. Prior to that I just got it from Amazon but Target was FAR cheaper and it was the same exact brand!

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 01:55:11 AM »
So....after logging into RD's site, they do have 00 Flour. 25 kgs of it! 55 pounds of flour for $30.00

That's CHEAP per pound but it would go bad before I could put a dent in it, lol. That would make about 250 10"-12" pizzas!