Author Topic: 42 hour Korean BBQ Coca-Cola Tri-tip (KoreanBBQ/NewAmerican)  (Read 17704 times)

Offline DoomsmokeBBQ

42 hour Korean BBQ Coca-Cola Tri-tip (KoreanBBQ/NewAmerican)
« Reply #-1 on: August 31, 2017, 07:59:59 PM »
 It's been awhile ! ....glad to finally be able share with ya'll a new recipe :).

Korean barbecue ...do I dare say the Texas BBQ of the Oriental world ? ..I only say this because Korean's make some FINE beef barbecue , though it's traditionally not slow smoked over Post Oak or Mesquite like in Texas, it's cuts of beef grilled to perfection that melt in your mouth. Like the lone star state  , Korean's take beef seriously and use only most flavorful parts of the steer with intense marbling such as the short rib (again like Texas!) but cut flanken style & rib eye cut thinly and marinated for quite a few hours...2 to 3 days sometimes.  Korean seasonings and flavors can be described as bolder & more assertive then Japanese , Koreans are heavier on the heat and sesame flavor, they also use a lot of tenderizing agents in their marinades such as Asian pear and kiwi fruit , but one of the things that also sets them apart is some Korean BBQ joints concentrate their marinades for hours ..and again even days , a tradition similar to Yakitori cooks in Japan where some sauces are aged for years !! ...truly a craft amongst these two cultures. Again the irony amongst Texas & Korean BBQ ..is there happens to be an establishment somewhere in the lone star state where a Texan pitmaster married a Korean girl and they incorporate a lot that in their BBQ such as a white Miso brisket in which I hear is ridiculously out of this world , I can only imagine the deep umami flavor that has. Hearing about this combination of American BBQ & Korean Q ..my mouth watered and was instantly inspired to conjure up my own with my own local sources and flavors.

Being in California ...there's a lot of Asian communities  , so I'm blessed to have access to many ingredients most cooks across the country have to source online , but we are living in a period where there's no better time to be a cook, chef or pitmaster where many ingredients from around the globe are available just a trip to the store away ...so chances are you may find things like "Gochujang" in your local Wal-Mart !. Gochujang ....oh sweet sweet Gochujang! , a fiery soy bean red chili paste Koreans use in just about everything their cooking , it kicks sirachas ass any day and it kicks it pretty damn hard cause this stuff scream Barbecue just as much as a bottle of  Chipotle hot sauce (which is smoked to begin with)  and I can't stress enough how amazing it is with Soy based marinades and sauces for pork , bird and steer, it aides in the natural sweetness & color wood smoke & live fire gives to barbecued and grilled meats. In this recipe I add it to a Coca-Cola based Korean style marinade where I let a Tri-tip bathe in for 42 hours before smoking over some local Plum Wood . This is a personal favorite ..and signature of mine and was very reluctant to share in the beginning but I very much believe anyone who's willing to try it out very much deserves the spoils just as much as it's creator ! .

Gochujang comes in a bright red plastic tub or bin .. it will not always say "Gochujang" but here I share what the real thing looks like for when your seeking it out at an Asian market or store. A little goes a long way with it depending your tolerance for heat , do not under estimate it...start with a tablespoon or two at a time when using and taste as you go , I use about 1/4 cup in my recipe , that's my preferred heat level for this dish.

FOR THE MARINADE :
. 2 cups Coca-Cola (preferably the glass bottles from mexico or regular just avoid diet)
. 1/2 cup soy sauce
. 1/4 cup Sake
. 1/4 cup Gochujang
. 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
. 1 1/2 tablespoons Sesame oil
. 2 stalks of green onion , minced finely
. all the dang garlic in the world minced (atleast a whole head worth)

For The tri-tip
. 2 to 3 Ib Tri-tip Roast (USDA CHOICE OR HIGHER)
. 2 tablespoons kosher salt
. 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
. 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper

.1) combine all the ingredients in a bowl till well mixed, place tri-tip in a large Ziploc bag big enough to hold it or other container, be sure it is completely submerged in the marinade adding more Coca-Cola if needed as this marinade works a bit like a brine from the soy sauce.
.2) Marinate in the fridge for a whopping 42 hours ..about 2 days and be sure to massage it around in the marinade from time to time if in a Ziploc bag.
.3) When it's time to cook , set your cooker for 300 to 325 degrees using a light fruitwood
.4) Remove Tri-tip from the marinade , reserving the marinade and pat it try .
.5) Reduce the reserved marinade in saucepan over medium high heat.. this will be used as a mopping and finishing sauce.
.6) Mix salt ,pepper & garlic together ..season all over tri-tip.
.7) Place Tri-tip over the indirect side of the pit and allow to smoke for about an hour and a half & finishing over hot direct heat until 145 internal temp to 149 or less if you prefer, mopping often with reduced marinade.
.8) allow tri-tip to rest 10 to 20 minutes ...meanwhile let the reserved marinade reduce further to a glaze.
.9) slice Tri-tip across the grain ..and drizzle and serve with reserved marinade. This is definitely something you'd want to have over rice !.

WeberQ22inch

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: 42 hour Korean BBQ Coca-Cola Tri-tip (KoreanBBQ/NewAmerican)
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:56:28 AM »
OH my that loooooooooks sooooooooooo good :thumbup: 

Thanks for the recipe ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
Lookin Good!  Thanks for Sharing!  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »
That sure looks great!!! TFS Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

42 hour Korean BBQ Coca-Cola Tri-tip (KoreanBBQ/NewAmerican)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »
That looks absolutely killer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
Looks and sounds fantastic - thanks for the recipe. 
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »

Bookmarked....Thanks
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 04:34:53 PM »
Wow, what a cook.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »
Now that's different.  Would like to give it a try on beef ribs.
thanks for the write-up and recipe.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4