Author Topic: Looking to Experiment - Memphis Dust  (Read 13315 times)

Offline Kona

Looking to Experiment - Memphis Dust
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:21:39 AM »
So, I'm a die hard user of Memphis Dust for my go to rub but as with all things BBQ, I can't leave well enough alone and like to experiment. I've been thinking about tweaking the rub a bit. The rub does have brown sugar and I found a place online that sells "maple brown sugar". I thought about doing a direct replacement with that as well as in my BBQ sauce. I've also found "powdered honey" which I've NEVER used before but find interesting and I'm looking to add that to the rub and possibly my sauce. Anyone use either the maple brown sugar or the powdered honey?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Looking to Experiment - Memphis Dust
« on: May 31, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »
I tweaked my Memphis Dust rub by adding cumin and cayenne pepper. My last batch I made with Kosmos Q Maple Brown Sugar and it added a better taste in my opinion. One thing about this rub there are many ways to tweak it to make it the way you want it to be. I have a bottle of honey powder but I haven't used it yet in this rub. May give it a shot next time I need some.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:36:26 AM »
I tweaked my Memphis Dust rub by adding cumin and cayenne pepper. My last batch I made with Kosmos Q Maple Brown Sugar and it added a better taste in my opinion. One thing about this rub there are many ways to tweak it to make it the way you want it to be. I have a bottle of honey powder but I haven't used it yet in this rub. May give it a shot next time I need some.

The Kosmos Q maple brown sugar is the exact product I was looking at lol, they also sell powdered honey in 1lb bags. I'd like to do a couple batches of memphis dust and do one with just the sugar replacement and one with both the sugar and honey powder added. Just not sure how much honey powder to add to make a flavor difference.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »

The Kosmos Q maple brown sugar is the exact product I was looking at lol, they also sell powdered honey in 1lb bags. I'd like to do a couple batches of memphis dust and do one with just the sugar replacement and one with both the sugar and honey powder added. Just not sure how much honey powder to add to make a flavor difference.

I am thinking that when I use the honey powder I will start with 1 tablespoon and see how that tastes. Will make a small batch and test. I normally just add to taste on any ingredients I use extra from the recipe.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
My version of Memphis Dust includes a bit of dry mustard and cumin (1 tbsp each to Meathead's regular recipe), and subs ground thyme for the ground rosemary; I also reduce the white sugar by 1/4 cup and increase the brown sugar by the same amount.  If it's a heartier protein, I will often add some cayenne or ancho chili powder.  Meathead's recipe is really good in terms of ratios, but I do like a bit of savory spice in play.

I will note that I used to experiment with honey powder, but found it to be little more than an expensive substitute for conventional sugars; on longer cooks the honey flavor doesn't seem to last when it's a pork butt, or for a sauce that needs to come to a boil.  For a sauce that isn't cooked the flavor should be a bit more pronounced.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 02:02:28 PM »
I love powdered honey, but I can't use it now due to the high carb count.   The stuff is great and I think you will love it!

Heck Wally World even carries it here
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION